Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Server configuration

Platform
    PC
    The web admin behaves like its making changes... but I'm not sure how to get more than 2 tracks configured in a rotation with it. And it also kept defaulting things, like the server is reading a config file from somewhere else and ignoring sms_rotate and even the server configuration file.
    Game-Rig: Intel i7 4770S | eVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix | Asus Z87-A | BenQ Zowie XL2730 | Microsoft Windows 10 | Logitech z5500 5.1 Digital | Thrustmaster TS-PC | Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro | Natural Point Track IR 4 | Playseats Evolution
    Server: Intel L5639 Xeon | Asus P6T | 12GB Corsair Vengeance | 128GB Crucial SSD | CentOS 7.4 | Linux Kernel 4.14 | pCars˛ Dedicated Server: Beale St. Blues | Steam: Visceral_Syn

Platform
    PC
    Ok, and disabled sms_rotate, and configured the server configuration file in detail: for practice, qualify, and race sessions, again no AI is selected. Added -c server.cfg to the commandline. Server is not reading my configured server.cfg, its using whatever values from lord only knows where.
    Game-Rig: Intel i7 4770S | eVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix | Asus Z87-A | BenQ Zowie XL2730 | Microsoft Windows 10 | Logitech z5500 5.1 Digital | Thrustmaster TS-PC | Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro | Natural Point Track IR 4 | Playseats Evolution
    Server: Intel L5639 Xeon | Asus P6T | 12GB Corsair Vengeance | 128GB Crucial SSD | CentOS 7.4 | Linux Kernel 4.14 | pCars˛ Dedicated Server: Beale St. Blues | Steam: Visceral_Syn

The following user likes this Post: patycy

Moderator+WMD 1/2 Member Siberian Tiger's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Regarding GridSize and Max Players...

I bi no mean an Expert when it Comes to DS but:

There can't be any AI if those Numbers are Equal.

Make Gridsize 16 and Max Players 10, then there should be 6 AI Drivers.
    Member Status: WMD 1 Senior x3 / WMD2 Gold
    Portable System: Dell XPS 17 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.2 GHZ , RAM: 8GB, GPU: NVIDIA GForce GT555M, HDD: WD 2.5" Notebook 500GB, OS: Windows 7 64-bit,Wheel: Logitech G25, Sound: NVidia Onboard Soundcard
    Gaming System AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 / i7 7700K with Antec H2o 920 Liquid Cooling System / PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 680W / GPU: MSI Gaming GTX1070 (OC) / RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance / SSD: 250GB Samsung Basic 840 / HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black / OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Wheel: Thrustmaster T500RS - Standart GT Rim / Monitor: Epson EH-TW3200 Homecinema 16:9 Full HD Beamer / RacingSeat: Playseat with some Modifications...

Platform
    PC
    i agree with that math too, but the Linux pCars˛ dedicated server... does not...

Platform
    PC
    The windows one has a different opinion as well

Edit: My server had a strange appearance in the server list since it has the AI issue. Now I see several dedicated servers looking the same, maybe this is related and shows a broken state?
    Unfortunately I can't post images, so have a code tag:

Code:
    http://www.minorating.com/images/pc2servers.png
    Last edited by Minolin; 23-09-2017 at 18:19.

WMD Member
    I can confirm that I also have this issue (calling it a bug I am). It sometimes works without AI, but most of the time the server is filled with 14 AI on a 32 player host. It seems some of the other flags are also broken, for instance I added Race Director and the server had the option, I removed the flag but Director still remained even after multiple shut downs and restarts.

Platform
    PC
    An easy spreadsheet to calc the flags value in the server.cfg file:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    CPU: Intel i7-6700K | GPU: Asus GTX1060 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: ROG Maximus VIII | SSD: Samsung 951 PCI 250GB | Monitor: Asus VG248 144Hz | Wheel: Fanatec CSL | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    The following 8 users likes this Post: bloozmahn, Brado23, Dalhil, F1_Racer68, G17CH, KAMPFBIBER81, patycy, Visceral_Syn

Platform
    PC
    Asturbo, that rocks! thanks!

The following user likes this Post: Asturbo

Platform
    PC
    Yesterday I also noticed the AI will spawn only in the first session (after a server.exe start). Other settings are still going mad, including weather. Applies to both server.cfg standalone and sms_rotate.
    In the client's server list my server then is still looking strange/broken like in the screenshot (post #15).

Can we have a confirmation that there is an issue? Currently I don't know if I need to invest more time here, or just wait for an update.
    The following user likes this Post: mshagg

Platform
    PC
    I've tried everything too, and I get the exact same results as you. I've worked in IT for 20 years, and software development for 15 (so none of the configuration was confusing or foreign to me). I'm convinced I'm not doing something wrong. And since you (for all your doubtless knowledge and experience) can't get it working properly either, then I'm pretty sure its broken.

I fear they don't care though. It should be an easy thing to fix, the server is standalone so they could update it separately from the game, so no concerns over needing too much testing. Its utterly broken at the moment, so they would have nothing to lose to try, yet they still won't confirm its an issue.

To me, the fact that they didn't set up a bunch of controlGameSetup : false dedicated servers at launch, for people to use/meet in, seems to me that they either knew it was broken, forgot it existed, or don't care if it works enough to even test it themselves.

Another curious thing is there appears to be no way to specify multiple classes, and no indication in the sample config files to limit which grade of player can join ("MinimumOnlineRank","MinimumOnlineStrength" though I assume). Even the maths in the default server.cfg is wrong (8+32+64+128+512+131072+524288 <> 656106).

Even if they were running properly though, the chances of filling one is almost zero anyway, since nobody sees dedicated servers without specifically filtering for them (now that ALL excludes them).

I've pretty much decided its not worth the effort, unless they completely redesign the server browser anyway, it'll never work the way I'd like it to. With no way to search by name, save favourites, or filter well then traffic will be all too random to be worth trying to make it somewhere to race familiar faces/names.

Some wasted potential for sure.
    Drive it like you own it
    The following user likes this Post: mshagg