Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Server configuration

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I'm not sure this dedicated server is really standalone.
    why:
    You can't change the the default values of a session via the API. Only you can change settings, if somebody is in the lobby or for the next session.
    These changes are transmitted directly to the multiplayer game and do not change local settings.
    So any freak configs have to come from the PC2 central servers. It seems, that the API has no direct effect to our local config files

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter80 View Post
    I've tried everything too, and I get the exact same results as you. I've worked in IT for 20 years, and software development for 15 (so none of the configuration was confusing or foreign to me). I'm convinced I'm not doing something wrong. And since you (for all your doubtless knowledge and experience) can't get it working properly either, then I'm pretty sure its broken.

I fear they don't care though. It should be an easy thing to fix, the server is standalone so they could update it separately from the game, so no concerns over needing too much testing. Its utterly broken at the moment, so they would have nothing to lose to try, yet they still won't confirm its an issue.

To me, the fact that they didn't set up a bunch of controlGameSetup : false dedicated servers at launch, for people to use/meet in, seems to me that they either knew it was broken, forgot it existed, or don't care if it works enough to even test it themselves.

Another curious thing is there appears to be no way to specify multiple classes, and no indication in the sample config files to limit which grade of player can join ("MinimumOnlineRank","MinimumOnlineStrength" though I assume). Even the maths in the default server.cfg is wrong (8+32+64+128+512+131072+524288 <> 656106).

Even if they were running properly though, the chances of filling one is almost zero anyway, since nobody sees dedicated servers without specifically filtering for them (now that ALL excludes them).

I've pretty much decided its not worth the effort, unless they completely redesign the server browser anyway, it'll never work the way I'd like it to. With no way to search by name, save favourites, or filter well then traffic will be all too random to be worth trying to make it somewhere to race familiar faces/names.

Some wasted potential for sure.
    I wouldn't be that pessimistic. Pretty sure we both shipped software in the past that didn't work out from day zero I'm also convinced that there is something wrong, but I can't tell for sure we didn't make a mistake (that should have better error handling for sure). There are some working dedicated servers out there. Give them some time to react and eventually fix the issue, before giving up hope.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Minolin View Post
    I wouldn't be that pessimistic. Pretty sure we both shipped software in the past that didn't work out from day zero I'm also convinced that there is something wrong, but I can't tell for sure we didn't make a mistake (that should have better error handling for sure). There are some working dedicated servers out there. Give them some time to react and eventually fix the issue, before giving up hope.
    Yea, indeed I have. I suppose the difference is that I test things at launch myself, and I acknowledge if something is broken, and I give a timescale for when I think it can (or can't) be fixed for. To not even respond at all is to disregard the time people are spending/wasting trying to figure out if the problem is at their end, or mine.

I don't doubt they could fix it, I just find it hard to believe they really care enough to do it quickly.
    Drive it like you own it

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    An official youtube video explaining dedicated server setup with a demonstration would be nice!

Platform
    PC
    what would be nice is if someone uploaded the optimal config file that we can then tweak to our liking.
    GTX 1070 / Intel Core i7-4790K / 32GB Ram
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Flens07, m00ndancer

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by IlIlSHADOWlIlI View Post
    what would be nice is if someone uploaded the optimal config file that we can then tweak to our liking.
    Hmm that would be nice also but would like to have somebody explain it so can get an understanding!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter80 View Post
    Yea, indeed I have. I suppose the difference is that I test things at launch myself, and I acknowledge if something is broken, and I give a timescale for when I think it can (or can't) be fixed for. To not even respond at all is to disregard the time people are spending/wasting trying to figure out if the problem is at their end, or mine.

I don't doubt they could fix it, I just find it hard to believe they really care enough to do it quickly.
    I think they will get it sorted fast. If you set up a temporary race lobby, the welcome message is elitegameservers.
    So I suppose they have some connection with them.
    And as a game hosting company, they are the first interested their servers are working.

Platform
    PC
    MAin issue I am finding is that some FLAG values are still missing. For Example:

- No FLAG values to force formation lap
    - No FLAG to set allowable Time Penalties
    - No FLAG to enable Track Cut Penalties
    - No way to set separete times for Practice and Qualifying sessions
    - No way to set Time Progression for Pracitce and Qualifying sessions to match race session

The 2 attached images are my configuration currently. The first is the server just started from the config file. The second is with manual changes made from within the lobby.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DS2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	240548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DS3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	240549

Also, not sure how the Car Classes got populated, but it looks like they got picked up from the last P2P room I hosted. And the Race Date is still not showing correctly. Somehow while making my manual changes, it reverted back to default date rather than my custom one.

In all fairness, so far this is all being attempted via the SERVER.CFG file. I have yet to really dig into the SMS_ROTATE LUA config. That may or may not address some of my issues.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - ADATA 12GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX950 AMP! 2GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3

@F1 RACER68,

could you , please put your server.cfg to see which line in it need to be change ( put a XXX on your port and IP

Thanks.
    OS:WINDOWS7 64 - SSD INTEL 520SERIES - i7 4770@3.5GHZ - GTX980 - 3X27" IIYAMA PLE2773HDS-B1 - T500 RS + TH8RS - RSEAT EVO2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by philmcphil View Post
    @F1 RACER68,

could you , please put your server.cfg to see which line in it need to be change ( put a XXX on your port and IP

Thanks.
    Sorry, I can't do that. There are MANY lines and many of them also contain userIDs. I would be worried to miss something. I will however gladly try to answer any specific questions you might have. I am by no means an expert.........

The Sample config file in the sample_config folder is a good starting point. There are a lot of good explanaitons in there. It's still the same file as was used for pCARS1, with just a few minor changes.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - ADATA 12GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX950 AMP! 2GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3
    The following user likes this Post: philmcphil