Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me get started? The game is totally unplayable...

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1

Can someone help me get started? The game is totally unplayable...

Hello all,

I'm no stranger to racing games. I'm certainly not the fastest guy in the world, but I'm no slouch either as I can put up very competitive times on Forza (easily top 100 on most tracks that I run and top 10 on a few). I've been playing Forza for 4 years now and drive without any assists at all. I'm also a very accomplished tuner (I've had several tunes that have run #1 times).

Project cars though, its simply impossible for me. I downloaded the game as soon as it became available and tried to get going. I went into Private testing and grabbed a Ginetta and figured I'd just run a few laps to get the feel of things. I took it out on a track that I know very well in Spa. I figured that track would let me concentrate on the game and the physics since I know the track so well. Its just ridiculous. Everytime I make a turn, the car drastically over corrects and I spin out of control. I have run about 200 laps now on Spa and I have not been able to make it through more than a quarter of the track without crashing.

What happens is when I come around a corner with any speed at all, the car just keeps turning in the direction I was going and drives into a wall. It simply refuses to straighten back out. The only turns I can at make at normal speed are subtle turns. I can make all the turns if I brake ridiculously well in advance and slow down to about 1/4 of the normal speed I'd take the turn in. What's the point in that though? I'd run 8:00 laps at best that way. Anyone who knows me from Forza knows that I don't run 8:00 laps. Give me that same car in Forza and I'm running in the 2:20's easily.

I've tried adjusting the settings to no avail. I saw a youtube video from Attax Johnson and applied what he had to say about the settings. Zero difference at all. I adjusted every setting on my own and nothing makes a bit of difference. The car simply won't stay on the track. Can someone give me any advice at all?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using the xbox controller... Don't have a wheel yet, but I'm seriously thinking about the Fanatec.
    Last edited by EMW Lou; 25-09-2017 at 00:58.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: AtotheY, coggin66, g8rbob

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by EMW Lou View Post
    Hello all,

I'm no stranger to racing games. I'm certainly not the fastest guy in the world, but I'm no slouch either as I can put up very competitive times on Forza (easily top 100 on most tracks that I run and top 10 on a few). I've been playing Forza for 4 years now and drive without any assists at all. I'm also a very accomplished tuner (I've had several tunes that have run #1 times).

Project cars though, its simply impossible for me. I downloaded the game as soon as it became available and tried to get going. I went into Private testing and grabbed a Ginetta and figured I'd just run a few laps to get the feel of things. I took it out on a track that I know very well in Spa. I figured that track would let me concentrate on the game and the physics since I know the track so well. Its just ridiculous. Everytime I make a turn, the car drastically over corrects and I spin out of control. I have run about 200 laps now on Spa and I have not been able to make it through more than a quarter of the track without crashing.

What happens is when I come around a corner with any speed at all, the car just keeps turning in the direction I was going and drives into a wall. It simply refuses to straighten back out. The only turns I can at make at normal speed are subtle turns. I can make all the turns if I brake ridiculously well in advance and slow down to about 1/4 of the normal speed I'd take the turn in. What's the point in that though? I'd run 8:00 laps at best that way. Anyone who knows me from Forza knows that I don't run 8:00 laps. Give me that same car in Forza and I'm running in the 2:20's easily.

I've tried adjusting the settings to no avail. I saw a youtube video from Attax Johnson and applied what he had to say about the settings. Zero difference at all. I adjusted every setting on my own and nothing makes a bit of difference. The car simply won't stay on the track. Can someone give me any advice at all?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using the xbox controller... Don't have a wheel yet, but I'm seriously thinking about the Fanatec.
    I've played all the forza games. They are awesome. They also are not realistic and are tuned for driving with a contoller. Pc2 has made big improvements with the controller but if you sort of tap left and right like I do with forza you can't do this in pc2. You have to have smooth inputs, wheel or controller. In forza 1 2 and 3 I had some top hundred times in the world on some tracks so I'm very familiar with its handeling. Pc2 is as close to full sim you are going to get on console. Invest in a wheel and don't look back. I got the thrustmaster tmx and I'm pretty thrilled. In my opinion pc2 still has a long way to go to allow the average controller user to compete with a wheel. I don't have a ton of time in Pc2 yet of course but on spa I'm about 20 seconds slower with a controller vs a wheel. It's super early so my time at spa isn't epic but it's like top 5 right now using the wheel. Again I'm 20 seconds slower using a controller.
    The following 7 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, BCFCBristolRed, firebert5, Ian Bell, Konan, nissan4ever, Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I'm a long time forza player too and pretty fast. I feel fast in pc2 as well, although less so. I'm using a controller also and it's really not our friend in this game. in my opinion, it's not a bad thing in his case since it's due to a higher level of realism.

I like Johnson's control config as a starting point. I've also been using real assists. it's probably worth trying if you havent. or even full for a bit. at least with a controller, running without assists is much harder to me than in fm. it also requires a little rethinking of tracks you know welll since, in pc2, we generally can't do things like carry every ounce of speed into every corner just as long as you can point it at the Apex. I think of that as tempo racing or something, it's fun but not especially realistic.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Guys the game has a glitch in it right now that screwing up the controls on some cars when AI cars are on track. Ian Bell already said they've got a patch on the way to fix this, just be patient should be fixed soon.

The glitch is causing wheel's FFB to wobble back and forth like nuts and it's making cars on controller weave back and forth uncontrollably. If you want to race right now, keep you AI car count down below 10, that seems to be the magic number for some reason. (Try rallycross, its really fun!)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: jdmnsprd, RobPhoboS

Superkart Pilot
    The problem with FMS is you're running 2m 20 in a car that's PI maxed with upgrades, using a much more forgiving handling model so to assume the same level of skill and speed from PCars is a bold expectation. There's no magic wand to wave - it really just a case of getting the feel for the cars and practicing. Although i would strongly suggest turning on stability control and ABS - and find your own comfort zone with the controller setup because everyone has a different 'feel', with theirs not necessarily been similar to yours.
    What I will say is that since purchasing PCars 1 (and subsequently 2) I can't even look at Forza any more - and thats coming from someone with a similar Forza pedigree as yourself (i'm more top 100-200 but online racing was my preference) with identical problems when I first started playing this game, so there is hope.
    Good luck... Haha, now i'm going to Spa in a GT3 lol.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    try turning down your steering ratio a bit too. and turning up the coast diff. I started off with issues like what you're saying and I think I've done both of those things on every car I've run so far. also doing mostly straight line braking as I haven't found the controller/car settings yet to let me trail brake confidently.
    The following user likes this Post: Sankyo

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Frog View Post
    The problem with FMS is you're running 2m 20 in a car that's PI maxed with upgrades, using a much more forgiving handling model so to assume the same level of skill and speed from PCars is a bold expectation. There's no magic wand to wave - it really just a case of getting the feel for the cars and practicing. Although i would strongly suggest turning on stability control and ABS - and find your own comfort zone with the controller setup because everyone has a different 'feel', with theirs not necessarily been similar to yours.
    What I will say is that since purchasing PCars 1 (and subsequently 2) I can't even look at Forza any more - and thats coming from someone with a similar Forza pedigree as yourself (i'm more top 100-200 but online racing was my preference) with identical problems when I first started playing this game, so there is hope.
    Good luck... Haha, now i'm going to Spa in a GT3 lol.
    My expectations aren't 2:20 right now. I fully expect a learning curve. However, to literally not be able to keep the car on the track at all is a little ridiculous.

I get that this is much more of a sim than Forza is. My movements are very fluid as I'm not a tapper with the controller. I can't really explain it properly, but something is seriously wrong. The car is like a demon possessed and it shouldn't be that way. I've watched videos of other players on youtube, that I am considerably faster than, not have anywhere near the problems I am having.

I'll keep tinkering with the settings, but I am very frustrated.
    The following user likes this Post: g8rbob

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Consider the possibility that a game bug may be causing your car to veer too far beyond what your controller is actually inputting or the game registering input when you're not actually steering the car, and that it's not really your driving skill causing this.
    Last edited by Methadone Man; 25-09-2017 at 03:02.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Methadone Man View Post
    Consider the possibility that a game bug may be causing your car to veer too far beyond what your controller is actually inputting or the game registering input when you're not actually steering the car, and that it's not really your driving skill causing this.

Trust me, I've considered it... Honestly, it has to be something along these lines. I'm wondering if reinstalling it would help???
    The following 2 users likes this Post: g8rbob, Methadone Man

Platform
    XBOX1
    I get similar results to EMW Lou (who I know is considerably faster than I am in Forza), mostly with road cars but also with full on race cars. It seems if the rear loses grip no matter what I do to halt the spin the car simply continues to steer off the track. I've tried countersteering while lifting the throttle, and without lifting the throttle, or sometimes gently applying throttle to get weight back on the ears but the car simply continues turn off the track.

The worst thing is getting into a tank-slapper. The game is simply unforgiving when trying to counter-steer or catch the car coming out of a potential spin. I have learned (not that I think this is right) to simply not react to even the slightest hint of the rear breaking loose - steady throttle, no steering inputs at all until the car catches itself - then continuing on. I'm convinced it's simply the controller. There simply isn't enough fidelity in a controller when it comes t steering input.

Frustrating, yes. It's extremely discouraging to not even get around the track at anywhere near a race pace for more than two or three laps without the inevitable, slow, unresponsive and continuous pivoting off the track after losing the rear end even slightly.
    Last edited by theZOGster; 25-09-2017 at 03:57.