Thread: AI Behaviour

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Exclamation AI Behaviour

in project cars 1 there were several threads about these issues, but they have never been fixed. and they are still there in pc 2.

- ai does not respect blue flags, when they come out of pits in qualifying, they won't let human players pass on their fast lap.

- during race, they act as if human player was not there. they break for each others but not for the player. ai seems to be blind.

- the worst thing is their "strategy" during changing weather conditions. i. e;: when you do a race starting with sunny weather, later changing to rainy conditions, the ai will start with wets although the track is completely dry at start. of course, they do not suffer from bad laptimes with those tires. then they just do the whole race with those tyres. tried this on long/short races, always the same.
    in real life, pilots start with slicks and change to wets later on when it starts to rain. going on wets under dry conditions would ruin the tyres quite soon.

- ai piles up in first corner after start.

- when ai is ramming human player off the track from behind, the latter gets the penalty.

- ai changes the racing line in the last moment before corners. so, if you are beside them, there is contact, because they do not give a damn about human players.

this was reported several times in pc 1. neither a reaction nor a fix. and this mess is still here in the next game.
    Last edited by deadly; 25-09-2017 at 01:04.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly View Post
    in project cars 1 there were several threads about these issues, but they have never been fixed. and they are still there in pc 2.

- ai does not respect blue flags, when they come out of pits in qualifying, they won't let human players pass on their fast lap.

- during race, they act as if human player was not there.

- the worst thing is their "strategy" during changing weather conditions. i. e;: when you do a race starting with sunny weather, later changing to rainy conditions, the ai will start with wets although the track is completely dry at start. of course, they do not suffer from bad laptimes with those tires. then they just do the whole race with those tyres. tried this on long/short races, always the same.
    in real life, pilots start with slicks and change their tyres later on.

- ai piles up in first corner after start.

- when ai is ramming human player off the track from behind, the latter gets the penalty.

this was reported several times in pc 1. neither a reaction nor a fix. and this mess is still here in the next game.
    Blue flags are for race conditions not qualifying. The only series I know forcing other drivers off the road in open qualifying is F1 which we don't simulate.

The AI absolutely are aware of player car during the race and fight for their position with much less contact than we allowed before.

We're still tweaking some aspects of their strategy yes. They do have slower lap times with wet tyres on dry road then with slicks.

Agreed on the pileups/slow first corner behaviour. This is already improved internally. But pileups in terms of first corner crashes are very realistic.

AI ramming from behind is much reduced. But please provide a video and we'll look into it. We found during development some users suggesting this but on replay it was clear they pulled into the line of the AI suddenly in most cases.
    The following 8 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, Eric Rowland, Invincible, Joe Moore, Mad Al, Morgan Henstridge, surtic86, Tepp

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    ok, thanks.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    The main issue I notice regarding ramming is on race start. If the player has a bad start or uses a car with low torque, the AI behind the player will ram every time.
    The following user likes this Post: pigsy

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by finagle69 View Post
    The main issue I notice regarding ramming is on race start. If the player has a bad start or uses a car with low torque, the AI behind the player will ram every time.
    We run different more aggressive code in the early first lap to simulate reality. The AI cars will dive for gaps and cut the odd corner and generally act more aggressively until they get halfway around that first lap and we transition to less 'red mist' behaviour for them.

I'm sure we can improve it though and we have AI polish work planned for each patch.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, ctzn, Eric Rowland, surtic86, Tepp

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Bell View Post
    We run different more aggressive code in the early first lap to simulate reality. The AI cars will dive for gaps and cut the odd corner and generally act more aggressively until they get halfway around that first lap and we transition to less 'red mist' behaviour for them.

I'm sure we can improve it though and we have AI polish work planned for each patch.
    That makes sense to me, and I feel what you described mimics quite a lot of different Motorsport. But the issue I mentioned is literally at the starting light. The AI grid position directly behind will ram if you have a bad start or low torque car.

I'm looking forward to the future patches. I know this stuff isn't "easy".

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by finagle69 View Post
    That makes sense to me, and I feel what you described mimics quite a lot of different Motorsport. But the issue I mentioned is literally at the starting light. The AI grid position directly behind will ram if you have a bad start or low torque car.

I'm looking forward to the future patches. I know this stuff isn't "easy".
    Sometimes yes. We used to have them absolutely pop sideways to avoid you off the line if you were very slow/stalled but it looked terrible in replays. Maybe we've tweaked it too far in the opposite direction.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, milliotseb, pigsy

Platform
    PS4
    There are some real nice ai behaviour when I have been alongside them, they will quickly move opposite to me to avoid any contact which I really liked, I definitely need to work on my starts as the ai tend to hit me so I would like to see them having the ability to avoid any collisions if possible, a few tweaks here and there is all that is required for me.
    PS4 PRO, Turtlebeach Elite 800 Headset, Logitech G29, Sony 4k LED TV, ManCave
    Amd Athlon x4 880k 16gb corsair vengeance ddr3 1866mhz r9 380 4 gb

WMD Member
    I don't think I've seen a sim do consistent standing starts where there either wasn't a pile-up or you couldn't pass most of the field starting from the rear of the grid when the AI was being too cautious. Rolling starts seems to help in this regard.

I've had the odd AI car ram me while I was holding my line seeming oblivious to me. Often get rammed while exiting the pits at the right hander at the end at Red Bull Ring, especially in the wet when tyres are cold.

For a complete rewrite, I'm encouraged by the behaviour of the AI so far. Took ages for the AI in AC to want to pass me and now they're pretty decent. I've had a couple of good stouches with PC2 AI, just need to find the sweetspot with my abilities and the AI strength.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    The penalty system is badly implemented I had to switch it off. I get rammed, I get the penalty ! Nah.... doesn't work....not fit for purpose, just switch it off.

Don't think Ai will ever be any good in racing sims. Fact of life..... oh, the irony !