Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much faster are you with VR - How much faster are you with a wheel ??

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

How much faster are you with VR - How much faster are you with a wheel ??

I started playing with since day 0 of PC2 in VR with my new Rift and was initially impressed and also kind of let down. The graphics are not shiny....at all. I was considering sending back the rift because as impressive as it still is, the graphics were not doing it for me.

But then I decided to play 2D because PC2 looks simply stunning and wanted to compare my performance. WOW. I am going 4 to 5 seconds faster with the rift!!

Dont get me wrong. I love the feeling and with my gtx 1070 and 7700k cpu I am able to run the supersampling option at 1.40, which really clears the graphics. Being there, in VR in a racing game, is really hard to explain, you get to see the minor bumps in the road, dirt, every minor nuance that you simply cant get even in a 55" tv, where I iusually game. But I wasnt expecting such a drastic performance improvement.

How much does VR improve your laptimes?

What about going from a gamepad to a proper wheel and pedals??
    I am using an xbox one gamepad and my times are two seconds higher than the bunch in the community event of this launch week. How much did your laptimes improve from going from a gamepad to a wheel?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I can definitely read the tracks better in vr, specially helpful for tracks I'm not really familiar with. It's easier to know when to turn in as I can actually see and judge the turns better. If it's a track I've been racing a thousand times it doesn't make as much of a difference as I have most of that memorized but it still helps.
    As for the wheel, I'm on my 3rd wheel setup over the last 8 years, I haven't used a game pad to race in that time.
    I remember when I first went to a wheel my laps were initially worse until I got used to it.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Both improve your times, by how much is impossible to say and will vary between drivers.

As for your Rift - stick with it. Get it setup properly, make sure you have settings maxed out as much as you can for your specs, ask around for help with people that have similar specs to yours.

I too was disappointed with the rift initially as you first only notice the downsides. You soon realise that shiny graphics although important soon don't matter as much when you are focused on the next corner or a pass. In the end the advantages FAR out weigh the negatives IMO and once you get used to it there really is no going back.

As for the wheel - if it's a hobby your going to stick to get a wheel now. A wheel with VR is so immersive it's amazing. Some guys are incredibly fast on a pad but in general wheels will be king and a lot more enjoyable. Get a second hand G27 or something as it's not a massive investment and take it from there.
    PC: i7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 3200 - Gigabyte GTX1080ti Aorus Xtreme
    Controller: T300 Alcantara - CSPv3
    Display: Samsung 28" 4K - Oculus Rift

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I recently switched to both. I don't have a comparison in PC2, but I can compare PC1 to PC2. In the Corvette C7.R at Lemans, in PC1 using controller and no VR my best lap times were about 4:12-4:15. Well below what you'd see a C7.R do in the real world at that track. ...and this was in Qualifying form, only necessary fuel, soft tires, etc. I then bought a wheel and I was able to do about 4:10 average, so that alone shaved about 2-3 seconds consistently.

Then I got PC2, and I must say in PC2 I think the C7.R handles more closer to it's real life counterpart from what I have seen and compared. I was averaging about 4:05. I just got the Oculus Rift VR two days ago and so far my personal best is 4:00:38. So you're looking at about 10 seconds combined for me at least. With a wheel, and VR the immersion is simply out of this world. I swear, I've put my hand up to cover the sun flare from hitting me, then I realize it's a game LOL.

Platform
    PC
    I went from triple screens to the Rift little of a year ago and to be fair, you don't really get any faster instantly. But the immersion is so much better in a Rift that i won't ever go back to screens for racing games.

Pad to controller is a much bigger difference. That will really shave seconds of your time.
    Intel i7 7700K | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | Asus ROG Strix Z270H Gaming | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0
    SimXperience Accuforce | Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro | Oculus Rift CV1

Platform
    PC
    I switched to a Wheel some time back. I was always questioning if it is worth it? Does it help to get better? And so on..

Buying it was the best decision ever. Couldn't switch back to a Game Pad. Just don't buy too cheap. I spend for Base, Wheel, Pedals and V2 Stand about 800.

Since last Friday I also have my Oculus. What can I say.. Same with the Wheel, I can't go back to a Monitor.
    Btw if you play a Sim Racing Game for the Graphics, you need to question yourself if you are really into Sim Racing.
    Don't get me wrong, it is fine to demand the best Graphics available, but for a Sim it isn't important.

My Overclocked 1080ti Strix is handling the Graphics just fine. I set the Supersampling in the Oculus Dev Tools to 1.7 and maxed out in Game.

Kart Driver Guybrush Threepwood's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    I wouldn't say I'm faster, but I can now judge braking distances as I can in the real world, finding the apex is a lot easier, and it's far easier to have positional awareness amongst traffic. Not to mention it's way more fun and immersive. As others have said, I can't go back to 2D gaming, in games where VR is an option.

The biggest difference to my times is using a wheel, which is only a g29, but after much practice, it shaves seconds off.

Platform
    PC
    I wouldn't sat that my lap times have improved but my racecraft has. I had a rift on launch and have driven with it ever since. I was fiddling with my SimVibe settings last week and though I'd just use the screen to save keep taking the rift off. Man was I surprised. My turn in was late I kept bumping cars, couldn't judge distances.. the list goes on.
    CPU I7 6700k @ 4.6 | Cooler Corsair H80 Hydro | Mobo Maximus VIII Hero (LGA1151) | GPU Asus Strix OC GTX1080 Ti (ZOTAC RTX 2080 TI AMP ON ORDER)| Soundcard Asus Xonar DX | Drive 500Gb NVMe M.2 Samsung Pro/1TB SSD Samsung Pro | RAM 16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000mhz | OS 10 Pro | PSU XFX P1-1050-BFUK Black Edition 1050W | Wheelbase Fanatec CSW V2.5 (FANATEC DD2 ON ORDER) | Wheel BMW GT/Formula/CSL Elite P1/Universal Hub (Flat Bottom Sparco & Drift Rims)/McLaren GT3 | Shifter Fanatec Clubsport SQ 1.5 | Pedals Fanatec Clubsport V3 Inverted | DISPLAY Acer Predator X34 | HMD Oculus Rift | RIG GT Omega | OTHER SimVibe (Chassis Mode With Buttkicker LFE x 4 & Extensions Mode With Buttkicker Gamer x 2 & Buttkicker Concert x 1)

Platform
    PS4
    Your lap times should improve by a few seconds with a wheel, depending on the complexity of the track.

As WIGG77 also said, it doesn't only improve your lap times, though. The cornering precision a wheel gives you enables you to battle other drivers while cornering with a lower risk of making contact. Neck-on-neck battles as seen on TV are very hard to pull off with a controller, but with a wheel it's possible, at least if both drivers have good awareness and know the corners well. I'd say the overall risk of over-steering is also greatly reduced with a wheel and pedal setup. Tire wear will also get reduced a bit due to being able to drive more smoothly.

WMD Member
    Try Helmet Cam in VR . the rift feels like your helmet, the immersion is Striking Has anyone else noticed this amazing phenomena ?
    Last edited by Sean_S36; 25-09-2017 at 09:28.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: alitomr1979, Boskapongen, David Slute