Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How much faster are you with VR - How much faster are you with a wheel ??

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    Would you say it's possible to get a good simulation feeling from GTS on your rig? I enjoy GTS, but it very much feels like a videogame compared to PC2, but that must be partly due to me playing it on a controller rather than a wheel. I just wondered, if you give it every chance possible, how GTS stacks up as a believable driving simulation.
    Before I went over to the darkside and bought the One X I had a PS4 and bought GT Sport as curiosity got the better of me , I put a fair few hours in online and had some very good races and the matchmaking worked very well .
    This was the first time I have played a GT game using my rig and If it wasn't for PCars I would of spent more time with it as I found it pretty decent , FFB was ok and passable and I found myself putting lap after lap in with the AMG GTR slipping the rear out and listening to it growl and the time just ran away with me so I must of been enjoying it .
    It did feel like more of a game a very fun one I might add but a game none the less , There is a lot more to think about in Pcars and this is what I like as racing a car around a track isn't just about putting in the fastest lap again and again we have a certain degree of car management going on and this for me is where Pcars excels in comparison to other titles available on Console and this for me was very much lacking in GT Sport which tbh I expected.
    For people with more time than me I'd say get it and enjoy it along side Pcars it's plenty of fun.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: alitomr1979, John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    I think VR and Wheel make it much easier to race because of the immersion and simply being able to look left/right at your opponents in a natural way and not with buttons.

I say this as i know i am not the fastest out there by a long shot, but i have actually recently been able to win some online races even on car/track combos i am not familiar with.
    CASE: Define Mini C TG l MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M DH3 l CPU: i5 8600k l COOLER: Celsius S24 l GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 @1911mhz l RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz l SSD: 3x 250GB l HDD: WD Blue 1TB l OS: Win 10 Pro x64 l WHEEL: Logitech G29 l SHIFTER: Logitech G Driving Force l VR: Oculus Rift CV1 l Screen: LG 49" 4k TV
    Steam ID: MartinMWWebb

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Personal preference of course.
    But I see no point what so ever in playing a SIM without either.

Pcars2 has been the first SIM driving game I have spent more than two hours in.
    Ever.
    Primarily SMS made a SIM that feels almost good enough compared to driving an actual car.
    But also VR and the wheel.

I would never even consider getting VR before a wheel.
    It's not a matter of being faster.
    Without I would not be playing at all.
    Main rig: Asus ROG - strix z370, i7 8700k, MSI 1080ti gaming x, 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
    Logitech g533 headset. 32" ultrawide - Oculus Rift CV1.
    G29 - CH fighterstick - CH pro throttle - CH pro pedals

Second rig: MSI gaming 5 z97 chipset - i7 4790k - 16GB 2400mhz RAM - 980ti.
    The following user likes this Post: alitomr1979

Platform
    PC
    Driving cars and flying helicopters/planes/space ships are the best things to do in VR imo. Each one alone is good, but put the two together and you have something really special.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 4 users likes this Post: EV3RY, Jetsun, Mark Race, rocho

Platform
    PC
    Sometimes I log into an online race and just spectate at the trackside using VR. I switch locations using a hotkey on my steering wheel and now and then I see very good fights between real gamers. It is amazing and Liberty media if you're reading this: place 360 camera's around the track and give the viewers the chance to so this during real F1 races too. It's amazing.
    Back to pcars2 and VR: I have a good steering wheel, a good sim rig and butt kickers strategically placed. Yes it made me faster, I hold a world record. Without VR I probably wouldn't. The vibrations, VR, steering wheel and last but not least the game itself make every single race very intense and simply a joy for every racing fan.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I don't do VR...

I'm way way faster with a wheel than I am with a controller... but that's mostly because I haven't practiced with controller at all. I did try a controller a month ago, and was absolutely horrible, so quickly gave up and went back to the wheel.

I know there are plenty of very fast people using controllers , so I'm not saying other's can't be faster with a controller...
    Playstation 4, Playseat Challenge, and Logitech G29 wheel

WMD Member
    My friends always struggled with the wheel and flat screen, they couldn't really judge the speed or behavior of the car.

I put them in my rift and instantly felt at home, couldn't get them to not use the G25 with it.

I don't think the videos do it justice because you are still seeing the point of view on a flat screen, when in fact when the unit is on, you are IN the car.

Once you go VR barring any motion sickness or other physical ailments, there is just no way to go back to playing on a TV.

The loss of fidelity be damned, just no way. I am definitely faster and can easily consistently place top 5 without touching setups or anything. I can judge and push the car a lot more, nailing brake points is much easier and you can soft judge if you can go slightly hotter or bleed off the brakes better. I don't know, it just feels natural for some reason and I force myself to drive like I would in real life. Hitting a wall is terrifying sometimes, as is coming in hot on someone's ass unexpectedly.

Personally if you want to go VR at this stage its aged enough that new high fidelity headsets should be coming out, a Rift or OG Vive is just not worth it. The new MS MR headset are better but I support is lacking for OpenVR.

I did a 17 lap race last night in Bathurst at night in the Bentley GT3, it was glorious, pacing yourself, stalking the driver ahead to find their weak corners, edging mistakes and pushing them to panic all within mere inches of their bumper, with confidence.
    Last edited by MortICi; 13-02-2018 at 16:08.
    Gaming Rig: ASRock z77 Extreme4, Intel Core i5 3570K OC @ 4.6Ghz 1.23v, Samsung 840 PRO 250GB SSD, EVGA GTX 970 SSC ASX 2.0 4GB OC'd like a beast! +156 core, +406 mem +0mv, Corsair H100i, 16GB G.SKill Ripjaws X Series 10-10-10-30-2N DDR3, Lots-O-Fans
    Controller: Logitech G25 Steering Wheel
    Output: 55" LG 3D SmartTV
    Seat: Need to buy one or something....
    The following user likes this Post: ELAhrairah

Platform
    PS4
    I hope one day to try the VR so I can see if I can get even faster
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." Collin McRae
    The following user likes this Post: ELAhrairah

Platform
    PC
    Even if VR doesn't make you faster, you don't really care, as the immersion factor is so good. Having said that, it's hard to see how it wouldn't make you faster after a bit of practice. Simple things like being able to lean over in the cockpit and look down to see your wheel clipping the apex exactly, makes a big difference. You can certainly feel and catch slides much sooner, the brain is really receptive to that one.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Alibi_GT, ELAhrairah, GTsimms, Jetsun, Mark Race

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    Would you say it's possible to get a good simulation feeling from GTS on your rig? I enjoy GTS, but it very much feels like a videogame compared to PC2, but that must be partly due to me playing it on a controller rather than a wheel. I just wondered, if you give it every chance possible, how GTS stacks up as a believable driving simulation.
    John, I wrote a kinda long post responding to your question and for some reasonm the connection broke and it's all missed.

The short version: GT Sport feels like a game when compared to Project Cars 2. There is simply no comparisson. I wish there was, because I am now a sim racer and have always bought consoles only to play GRan Turismo, but they are now way behind the top titles. I have tried Raceroom, and it is absolutely great, I have tried, Assetto Corsa and the experience in VR is only second to PRoject Cars 2, simply awesome.

GRran Turismo Sport is way behind, specially when it comes to handling and the force feedback and what you feel in the wheel. I am deep inside waiting for thje update to inlude compatibility with the CSL ELite PS4, because the dullness I get (compared to PC2 and even the other games I mentioned) is kind of sad.

I have had a great time in these few months playing GRan Turismo Sport with friends, but coming back to PC2 a week ago has made me realized that when our games dried up and I stayed to chase the S license, I lost great time that i would have spent better playing PC2. There is simply no comparisson, imho.

Last night, even tired, I raced my first Formula 1 race in Hockeinheinring. With the F1GT cockpit in F1 position, the CSL Elite and OCulus, it was so amazing that I now want to start a career in iRacing just to get to the level of competition of the A class Formula they have there. Simply awesomeness. Everyone should try it. Absolutely fantastic!!

There you go, I wrote it all again!