Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much faster are you with VR - How much faster are you with a wheel ??

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_S36 View Post
    Try Helmet Cam in VR . the rift feels like your helmet the immersion is Striking Has anyone else noticed this amazing phenomena ?
    Is this working now then? I thought it had been disabled for VR as we were getting a weird flickering in development.
    CPU I7 6700k @ 4.6 | Cooler Corsair H80 Hydro | Mobo Maximus VIII Hero (LGA1151) | GPU Asus Strix OC GTX1080 Ti | Soundcard Asus Xonar DX | Drive 500Gb NVMe M.2 Samsung Pro/1TB SSD Samsung Pro | RAM 16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000mhz | OS 10 Pro | PSU XFX P1-1050-BFUK Black Edition 1050W | Wheelbase Fanatec CSW V2.5 | Wheel BMW GT/Formula/CSL Elite P1/Universal Hub (Flat Bottom Sparco & Drift Rims)/McLaren GT3 (On Order) | Shifter Fanatec Clubsport SQ 1.5 | Pedals Fanatec Clubsport V3 Inverted | DISPLAY Acer Predator X34 | HMD Oculus Rift | RIG GT Omega | OTHER SimVibe (Chassis Mode With Buttkicker LFE x 4 & Extensions Mode With Buttkicker Gamer x 2 & Buttkicker Concert x 1)

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WIGG77 View Post
    Is this working now then? I thought it had been disabled for VR as we were getting a weird flickering in development.
    I scrolled through the cockpit cams and Helmet Cam was there and it's great in VR, so to answer your question yes.
    The following user likes this Post: WIGG77

Platform
    PC
    Not a big margin in lap times with VR but a whole lot consistent . Higher chance of me spinning when pushing using a monitor compared to VR...

Control pad ? Should be made illegal for racing games
    PC | i7 2700k 3.5ghz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Z68 Motherboard | MSI GTX 980 TI|Corsair CMX XMS3 8GB 1600 Mhz| Windows 10|120gb Corsair SSD| Seagate 3TB|
    Hardware
    T500 RS with basherboards brake mod|TH8RS |Oculus CV1| Simvibe| Buttkicker Gamer 2|Apogee Mini Dac| GTUltimate V2 Cockpit

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    A wheel , although desirable, is a lot to set up and takes space .I really liked the NEG CON in the nineties .It would be good to have a new release with some small changes to accommodate manual gear changes .

WMD Member
    I never compared before and after speeds.. however, my consistency increased dramatically as did my control of the car. I found it difficult to translate a 2D representation into the attitude of the car. Skippy in iRacing at Mid-Ohio, I simply could not handle the dipping left/right hander without spinning. The moment iRacing implemented VR, I resubbed and I had to purposely do something wrong to lose it there.

I’ve loved racing games since there were racing games and I was always limited in the cars I could drive because I just couldn’t react fast enough when things got out of shape. I tended to stick to more manageable (slower) cars. Now I’m able to instinctively correct small problems and able to catch big problems a lot more often.

I simply won’t bother driving a sim that does not have VR, mostly because I can’t drive them.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_S36 View Post
    Try Helmet Cam in VR . the rift feels like your helmet, the immersion is Striking Has anyone else noticed this amazing phenomena ?
    Passed the same info to friends with VR. I normally tune the weight of the headset out but with helmet cam, I feel the weight and for the first time ever I had a sore neck after a 20 min session while in helmet cam.

Odd how the human brain works..
    The following 2 users likes this Post: mister dog, Sean_S36

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I need to try the rift with the helmet cam, never thought of that!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: alitomr1979, Sean_S36

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    How many of you are experiencing motion sickness or eye strain with the rift? I am up in the air about it, how about using an H pattern shifter? Any issues with spacial awareness? I would love a rift but having no friends who have one, it makes it impossible to sample before I buy. I want to be sure I will like it as opposed to buying a new screen for my cockpit which I am ordering. Is the rift generally considered to be the best VR headset?

Platform
    PC
    On the knockhill caterham event i was able to knock 1.5 seconds off my time by switching from a x360 controller to a g27 wheel, at that chicane on the top of the crest was one of the key areas i was able to pick up speed due to being able to feel and correct the body movement of the car.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl87 View Post
    How many of you are experiencing motion sickness or eye strain with the rift? I am up in the air about it, how about using an H pattern shifter? Any issues with spacial awareness? I would love a rift but having no friends who have one, it makes it impossible to sample before I buy. I want to be sure I will like it as opposed to buying a new screen for my cockpit which I am ordering. Is the rift generally considered to be the best VR headset?
    I've had no eye strain or motion sickness, I did feel a little weird during turns at first but it goes away. Everyone is different though some adjust faster than others. The immersion factor is unbeatable though, with a racing seat and wheel setup, you really feel like you're sitting in a car. I've yet to hear anyone not like it. Yes there is a slight resolution hit, it's not as bad as you would think though, up close everything is really clear, the interiors of the cars are awesome, just the further stuff is looks pixelated.

No issues with spacial awareness, the wheel is right in front of you, you can adjust you're positioning so everything matches up, it's a bit weird with the hshifter since the hands won't match up when you're shifting but I've had no issues doing it, I never looked at the shifter when shifting on a 2d screen either. I think you can turn the arms off so you just see the wheel but I like seeing the arms and body of the character.

Theres pluses and cons to both headsets, some like one over the other, I've never tried the vive, this is just from what I hear. I don't think you can go wrong either way. They're first gen headsets so it's not going to be perfect. I'm really looking forward to higher resolution screens and better gpu's to run them but I'm super happy with what we have now.