Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G29 Wheel Settings - PS4

G29 Wheel Settings - PS4

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to find the right setup specifically for the G29?

I've been trying a lot of different wheel setups even ones I found on youtube and other forums but can't find the ones which feel good. My current FFB settings give me the impression the car is floating when I turn into a corner and oversteer response is extremely twitchy which makes the car rocket to the other side whenever I put even the slightest force on counter-steer

Thanks!

Platform
    PS4
    Hey!
    Try these settings. They are working for me after a long struggle

Deadzone: 0
    Steering Sensitivity: 50

Informative
    Gain: 95
    Volume: 35
    Tone: 20
    FX: 25
    Spring: 0.40
    1996: Super Nintendo l 1998: Nintendo 64 l 1999: PlayStation l 2001: PlayStation 2 l 2007: PlayStation 3 l 2011: Nintendo 3DS l 2014: PlayStation 4
    Add me on PSN for clean racing: PiinK_eMo_GiiRL

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Most recent and final recommendation from me in post #5 http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1367393

I have 2 recommendations to try, both use the Informative preset, find your happy place between these, the left number is stronger and more immersive, the right number is weaker and more informative.

There is a known vertical load bug that causes FFB to get stronger with speed which mostly effects high downforce cars. Many cars have weak FFB at slow speed which is believed to be related.

If you primarily drive high downforce cars you might prefer less Gain as they will clip at critical high load corners resulting in a loss of critical detail.

The left numbers are my preference, the right numbers result in a weaker FFB but with a greater sense of car behaviour. Find your happy place between them.

Informative
    Gain 100 Lower as required.
    Volume 38
    Tone 37 - 20
    FX 45 -20
    Menu spring only effects menus and auto drive.

Steering Deadzone 0
    Dampening 0
    Sensitivity 50 DON'T CHANGE THIS
    Last edited by Civic; 26-09-2017 at 03:07.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    No longer relevant see below for my most recent and final recommendation from me in post #5 http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1367393

I just want anyone who tests the settings to understand that they will clip at a Gain setting of 100 and they are to be used with the understanding that you should be tuning gain using the telemetry waveform to reduce clipping on a car by car basis.

Some clipping is acceptable but the clipping can be extreme in certain cars. A one size fits all approach isn't effective at the moment due to the issues in the FFB but the average person should be able to enjoy these settings even with the clipping it provides even if it is not ideal.
    Last edited by Civic; 26-09-2017 at 03:08.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    I've found my final settings. These are now my universal settings that I will no longer tweak until either an update comes to fix the FFB or I come across a car that really doesn't work but these settings seem to be working for every car I try.

Informative
    Gain 97
    Volume 37
    Tone 35
    FX 43
    Menu Irrelevant but I run mine at 0.25

Steering Deadzone 0
    Dampening 0

Keep in mind no setting will fix the speed vertical load FFB bug, only an update will fix that. But these settings seem to minimise the effect without the need for constant tweaking.

Much, much better, thank you so much Pink! May I ask what your damper sensitivity etc is please?

Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I've found my final settings. These are now my universal settings that I will no longer tweak until either an update comes to fix the FFB or I come across a car that really doesn't work but these settings seem to be working for every car I try.

Informative
    Gain 97
    Volume 37
    Tone 35
    FX 43
    Menu Irrelevant but I run mine at 0.25

Steering Deadzone 0
    Dampening 0

Keep in mind no setting will fix the speed vertical load FFB bug, only an update will fix that. But these settings seem to minimise the effect without the need for constant tweaking.
    Will give them a try, thanks a lot!!

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by DaltonLSXV8 View Post
    May I ask what your damper sensitivity etc is please?
    These are controller settings.

Dampening is what it says, it dampens the FFB you feel. Some think it adds some type of realism but for most who just want to feel what the car is doing, it isn't wanted.

Steering sensitivity is an input response curve directly relating to the steering input. 50 means it is linear or 1:1. If you change this (DON'T) your in game movement will no longer match your input. A higher number results in more response initially. A lower number results on less response initially but any setting other than 50 operates on a curve which is undesirable for steering.

A reason some people might like less Sensitivity in steering is if they have bad driving habits. It is pretty common for people to turn the wheel too much, for such a person turning sensitivity up might make them think initially the car drives better but it isn't allowing them to develop into a better driver and actually helping them practice bad habits.

Deadzone is how far you can move an input before it registers in game. Deadzone is not ideal for steering but is useful for pedals to avoid unwanted inputs.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Humour me please: How few fingers can you use to drive?
    Isn't using only 3 fingers on each hand indicating lack of resistance?

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
    Humour me please: How few fingers can you use to drive?
    Isn't using only 3 fingers on each hand indicating lack of resistance?
    I'm not sure what you are getting at.

There is a bug in the FFB, I mentioned it, there is no FFB setting that can fix it. All we can do is try and come up with the best settings possible in a bugged FFB system.

The bug directly relates to speed and downforce. If you get in a high downforce car there will be very little resistance when driving out of the pits but when you reach top speed the force will be much greater.

In such a car any setting that increases slow speed resistance will result in clipping at speed.

But beyond the bug we are talking about a G29 which is a very weak wheel with very poor FFB resolution. Any realistic representation of FFB on such a wheel will result in very weak feeling FFB. To counter the weak feeling you can use a positive response curve and the G29 has one built in to start with but a positive response curve is counter intuitive in regards to the resolution issues of the wheel. So a compromise must be made.

If you take a simulated car that is capable of over 20Nm of force in real life and try to fit that range of FFB into a wheel with less than 3Nm of force what you end up with is very weak feeling and dead FFB.

These days developers face an issue. They must work out how to give the users of G29 a good experience and also give Direct Drive wheel users a realistic experience. If you focus on the G29 users you can fudge FFB so that every car feels the same but if you focus on providing realistic FFB then the sad reality is for people who use Logitech wheels slower cars with weaker steering will provide a great FFB experience while something like an Indy car should be expected to feel dead and lifeless. In this regard the FFB in PCARS2 is working correctly.

Just to be clear, in order for a game that offers realistic FFB to feel good in an Indy car on a G29 the game must provide a second non realistic FFB system. Perhaps Immersive would do the trick and some people might enjoy it more but Immersive has a very unrealistic feeling to me and can't be used to understand the car as good as informative.

In case you don't understand why resolution is an issue with these wheels. They are a digital device, the resolution indicates how many steps of FFB you have. So to explain this in a very simple way. If you have a wheel with only eleven steps and wanted to represent a range of 100, each result would be rounded off to 10. The wheel could only give you 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100. That means 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34 will all feel exactly the same but 24 and 25 will feel 10 different. So a car with a range of 100 wouldn't feel good on such a wheel but a car with a range of 10 would feel great.

In real life some race cars have an extremely high range of force but they might spend most of the time in a small range of that force. To represent that realistically you need a very powerful direct drive wheel with high resolution. To provide an enjoyable experience in such a car on something like a G29 would require you to either be able to tune the FFB differently for each car and track combo or for the devs to create a fake FFB system that automatically does that. To please everyone devs would need to build 2 completely different FFB systems, a fake one and a realistic one. In the world of simulation it doesn't make sense to waste resources on building a fake system.
    Last edited by Civic; 26-09-2017 at 22:26.