Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: [Magic inside!] Need Help With Differentials

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Nice analysis, that's the kind of good stuff you can do with telemetry. =)

Also remember that the number of clutches is important, not just the angle.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: F1_Racer68, senna94f1

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Karjalainen View Post
    Nice analysis, that's the kind of good stuff you can do with telemetry. =)

Also remember that the number of clutches is important, not just the angle.
    Yeah exactly, I kept everything constant except the power ramp, t just to illustrate to people. Once you have data everything becomes pretty clear.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza819 View Post
    I tried to adjust engine braking on one of my most troublesome cars last night, the BMW 320TC, but the settings only went from 1 to 5 and I guess the default was already at 4. It didn't seem to help it much. At the shorter Hockenheim course where I was running it it spun out at turn 1 and also that medium speed right hander as you enter the arena. It's like whichever direction the turn is, the outside tire speeds up and pushes it further in the direction you're turning. Now if I'm going way too fast for the turn and spin it out, that's on me. And at least with me this car doesn't like kerbs because I've spun it out at turn 1 Hockenheim by clipping that left hand kerb, Long Beach on the second right after you go around the fountain, and numerous other places.

The V8 Supercar is the same way except more extreme I'm guessing because of all that torque it's very touchy on corner exit but I haven't looked at it's engine braking yet.
    I actually won a online league championship with the said car , one of the 1st things was lower or decease rear toe in and increase front toe in along with the tow bars and it made the car so stable while everyone else was struggling with spinning or oversteer or understeer ,

This is on ps4 using t300 wheel , once I'd done a few tweaks to get the car to point into the corner I was pretty much ready to race, other then that played around with camber and tyre pressure as to not overheat tyres ,

This was in the dry and rain ,night and day different tracks hot and cold ,so quite a few variables but I mostly over 6 weeks and 9 tracks kept to same set up, just changing fuel loads required for league required pit stops and final gear ratio for slow and fast tracks, ,

Hope this helps as its a difficult car lol

Platform
    PC
    Hello Jussi Karjalainen,

I have a little problem. I cant update your Diff Calculator, MS Excel says: "We cant update some of the links in your workbook" etc. And if I click on button Edit Links, I honestly dont know what to do here.
    Please help me a little bit in this.
    Thank you
    Alonso

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I decided to switch to clutch LSD differential after using welded differential for a long time, and I now have a few questions:

1) What is the (practical) difference between adding locking by increasing the number of clutches vs decreasing ramp angles? (apologies if this has been brought up somewhere earlier in the thread)

If the locking is affected by input torque from the engine:
    2) ...then if the inside wheel starts slipping, doesn't the resulting increase in engine revs also increase the locking strength? And even more so if this slipping puts the engine in higher torque region and/or turbo spool range?
    3) ...then don't lower gears also increase the locking strength? If so, doesn't this make shorter gears more susceptible to power oversteer, since they would cause the outside wheel to receive a bigger portion of even higher total torque? *

* Or maybe the relative torque distribution between the driven wheels stays the same.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarben View Post
    I decided to switch to clutch LSD differential after using welded differential for a long time, and I now have a few questions:

1) What is the (practical) difference between adding locking by increasing the number of clutches vs decreasing ramp angles? (apologies if this has been brought up somewhere earlier in the thread)
    Adjusting the number of clutches affects both coast and power locking. Adjusting ramp angle allows separate adjustment of coast and power locking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarben View Post
    If the locking is affected by input torque from the engine:
    2) ...then if the inside wheel starts slipping, doesn't the resulting increase in engine revs also increase the locking strength? And even more so if this slipping puts the engine in higher torque region and/or turbo spool range?
    3) ...then don't lower gears also increase the locking strength? If so, doesn't this make shorter gears more susceptible to power oversteer, since they would cause the outside wheel to receive a bigger portion of even higher total torque? *

* Or maybe the relative torque distribution between the driven wheels stays the same.
    The relative torque distribution stays the same.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks David.