Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: puddles have a completely unrealistic effect in low speed

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

puddles have a completely unrealistic effect in low speed

Hi,

first I thought that the puddles are a fantastic addition and the aquaplaning effect when going through them in heavy rain and fast speed seems more or less realistic.

But if you try to go through a big puddle in ANY SPEED, you find out it is basically impossible to make it through. There was a large puddle in a turn on Nordschleife and it was impossible to make pass it in first gear and walking speed! The car experienced heavy aquaplaning effects and turned sideways like it would be realistic for ~100km/h.

So, please re-check and change puddle effects for slow speeds!
    The following 9 users likes this Post: bmanic, Brado23, FriendCalledFive, menos, Ossnott, Pteradon, pyide_maybe, rosko

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Agreed, same with the massive puddle it generates at the last corner at Bathurst,, it's like ice, I was the only car on track, so it may clear a line through it with a full grid, will have to try that.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    hairneedle turn at Rouen Les Essarts in heavy rain eg. with Lotus 49. It is simply impossible to just walk through this turn without spinning... It's ridiculous. Needed to be adjusted asap.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, it's insane. No matter how slow you go you will slip and slide on puddles of water like they were ice instead of rolling through them like an actual vehicle through water. I tried pitting to switch to ice tires mid-race just to see if that would do anything, nope! Haha. Still had to try.

Platform
    PC
    I had an online race with with some quick weather changes last night at Zolder where it was dry for two laps, wet for 3 and then drying for another 3 I think it was. Once it stopped raining and the track started drying touching the puddles that were left at the chicanes and last corner was almost certainly into the wall unless we slowed down to a point where we were losing seconds a lap and this was with wet tyres on still. The same puddles seem to behave differently on a full wet track than they do on a partially dry track and it feels bizarre.
    r5 2600X | Asus RX Vega 56 Strix | 16GB RAM | Fanatec CSL Elite + CSP V3 + TH8A shifter | Next Level Racing Wheel Stand

Platform
    PC
    We'll look at that low speed behaviour guys.

Platform
    PC
    I would like to personally test this, since "low speed" sometime is miss-interpreted, as going 80km/h in a GT3 car might be considered VERY slow while hitting a puddle with slicks at that speed is scary.

I had a very frightening experience running semi-slicks on my Clio IV RS last year hitting a (relatively small) puddle at 100km/h on a straight line. Completely snapped the fronts and (millisecond later) the rears to enter into a spin being a 1st class passenger on that roller coaster to finalize looking into the same direction I was going originally without a scratch.

I must say that other cars that were running seconds before me on normal tires did not even felt that puddle (it seems since I was the only idiot spinning)
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

The following 2 users likes this Post: Ian Bell, ironik

major sunscreen
    Good to hear it being looked at. Same deal Donnington GP in second to last hairpin. Speed, ride height etc no effect. "Slow" speed 15mph...post above does make a good point as anecdotally I saw an Audi spin out ahead of me in a thunderstorm on the M3 a few weeks ago on my way home from work.. at 60mph. Parked very neatly on the hard shoulder but pointing the wrong way. Lucky lucky. In my 10 ton x type no dramas.. very funny.but if its going to be a function of speed as suggested then it has to apply to ai as well as othetwise itll ruin things.
    Last edited by major sunscreen; 01-10-2017 at 07:47.

Platform
    PC
    Thought I'd post this here as well... some data on grip in the wet and where aquaplaning starts (basically non-existant under 60km/h)

<<Cut again because of possible copyright claims>>
    Last edited by TylerDurden4321; 06-10-2017 at 00:48.
    The following user likes this Post: Nekrobob

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    puddles looks like its still a prototype of some sort, really the physics need a lots of work to be believable/realistic, atm its aquaplaning at 30kph in light rain.... this isnt right.
    also every little or big puddle generates lots of aquaplaning in game. overly done imho. needs lots of tweaks.
    i7 7700k @ 4.5ghz @1.25v
    Rog Strix 1080ti @ 2000mhz
    16gb HyperX Ram ddr4 @ 3333 mhz
    Rog Max Hero IX MB
    CSW v2/CSP v3/TH8A Shifter/DIY Arduino Handbrake
    The following user likes this Post: Ossnott