Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Platform
    PC

How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

If you're new to sim racing, here are some great online tutorials about how to improve your racing:

SAFE is FAST

DrivingFast.net

TurnFast.com

iRacing Racing School YouTube playlist

http://www.speedsecrets.com/tips (Ross Bentley's site)

"Ultimate Speed Secrets: The Complete Guide to High-Performance and Race Driving" by Ross Bentley

Check out this thread from the PCARS 1 forums for even more tutorials.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    driver61 is an amazing youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtb...EpwUQhFUyPQU9Q

Platform
    PC
    And, of course, the popular "Skip Barber - Going Faster" video.
    Platform: desktop PC | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII GENE | CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4GHz quad-core
    Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB PCIe3.0x16 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    System SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB SATA3 | Game SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA3
    Game Controller: ThrustMaster T150 | Display: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 144Hz 1ms 1920x1080
    The following user likes this Post: TommyFresh

Platform
    PC
    Great stuff! thanks for the links

Platform
    PC
    Can I suggest you pin some "official" racing rules as well? Currently we're fighting over "I had overlap!" and "My nose was in front!". Many different opinions of what is right, doesn't work out well for a Safety Rating.
    For Street and GT racing, minorating.com should have a few suggestions

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Minolin View Post
    Can I suggest you pin some "official" racing rules as well? Currently we're fighting over "I had overlap!" and "My nose was in front!". Many different opinions of what is right, doesn't work out well for a Safety Rating.
    For Street and GT racing, minorating.com should have a few suggestions
    That's a silly fight, in sim racing it is up to you to avoid collisions, that means the car inside always has right of way. That is the reason the iRacing spotter is a good function. If he says car inside it means do not turn in. In addition to this it also means that once the car outside has started to turn in you should not put your nose in if you wish to avoid a collision.

That's where this front end damage feature is brilliant. I love how hitting someone from behind can result in your race being over if damage is turned on because even on iRacing at the top level people use bump passing selectively in races to gain at least one position.

Platform
    PS4
    A great video on racecraft for beginners, Scott Handley's "Surviving Rookies": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsK...rumn6GERqFUpng

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    that means the car inside always has right of way
    Aeh no. While this may be a valid rule in some series (won't argue that), this is why offical rulesets are important.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Minolin View Post
    Aeh no. While this may be a valid rule in some series (won't argue that), this is why offical rulesets are important.
    You're not getting it.

This is racing on a screen, not racing in the real world.

It is up to everyone to try and avoid a collision with the understanding of the limitations of driving in a sim.

That is why it is silly to turn down on someone while they are inside of you and to be realistic in real life no one ever turns in on a car they know is inside. Do you know why there are pillar rules in the real world? It is because that is the only way you can be sure the driver knew the car was there.

Such rules are not practical in sim racing yet because of FOV restrictions as there is no way of determining at what point a person will no you are there. Any rule would not be practical and not directly comparable to a real world series.

So in sim racing the common sense approach you must take if you have an attitude of finishing races is to never turn in on someone when they might be on your inside, develop good awareness so you know when a car might be there. And most importantly is to know your competition. Whenever you are racing someone you are not familiar with you should give them space until you know their on track behaviours.

I'll let you in on a secret that took me some time to learn. I've made a lot of passes by letting guys pass me. When you identify a person who you think racing against is a high risk, let them pass and take out the guy in front of you for an easy pass. Sometimes you get lucky and they take out multiple people all at once.

To win a race it isn't only about being fast, it is also about having the skills to make it to the end by avoiding Maldonado

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    That is why it is silly to turn down on someone while they are inside of you and to be realistic in real life no one ever turns in on a car they know is inside.
    Hmmm...wild guess....you don't follow F1?
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!