Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Sounds like a great one to improve breaking: http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16021
    'Using No Way As Way, Having No Limitation As Limitation' - Bruce Lee
    CSL elite ps4, CSP V3, SQ V1.5
    GMT+1
    PSN: Je_Rinpoche / Steam: Jetsun
    Be Water My Friend

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Belador you should update first post with Driver University. Unfortunately I don't have time to see if its already linked atm. The main youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtb...EpwUQhFUyPQU9Q There's the driver university playlist. There are track guides and just some real world analysis i think mostly from F1.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I have a question for those more experienced than me - I've been working my way through the open wheel series in career mode and have been struggling throughout, I've had to switch to the stable setup to keep it on the track as much as possible. I'm definitely getting better, but I just finished going through Formula X and there in particular I had a lot of wheelspin when accelerating. Coming out of a corner, even in a straight line, my car could easily spin out on me with no warning. Typically it would happen on a gear change, even from third to fourth sometimes. The starts were a nightmare as I usually lost at least three places because I couldn't put my foot down - if I just accelerated hard at the lights, my wheels would spin while I hit the rev limiter in first for a second or two, and my car would turn wildly and spin me around.

I figured I just needed to practice but I watched a YouTube video tonight of someone playing Formula X, they just held their foot down and the car went in a straight line with minimal wheelspin. What am I doing wrong? I'm on a wheel with automatic gears and only using the default setups.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoX View Post
    I have a question for those more experienced than me - I've been working my way through the open wheel series in career mode and have been struggling throughout, I've had to switch to the stable setup to keep it on the track as much as possible. I'm definitely getting better, but I just finished going through Formula X and there in particular I had a lot of wheelspin when accelerating. Coming out of a corner, even in a straight line, my car could easily spin out on me with no warning. Typically it would happen on a gear change, even from third to fourth sometimes. The starts were a nightmare as I usually lost at least three places because I couldn't put my foot down - if I just accelerated hard at the lights, my wheels would spin while I hit the rev limiter in first for a second or two, and my car would turn wildly and spin me around.

I figured I just needed to practice but I watched a YouTube video tonight of someone playing Formula X, they just held their foot down and the car went in a straight line with minimal wheelspin. What am I doing wrong? I'm on a wheel with automatic gears and only using the default setups.
    Maybe that guy on YouTube was running with traction control on? Thereīs a few more cars than only the Formula X where you have to be very careful with the throttle, mostly the old turbo monsters like the Porsche 917/10 or the Lotus 98.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition @+100 MHz | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case youīre looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Yeah I never even thought about that to be honest, I just have aids set to the realistic ones. It seems crazy though that I can't get a good start at all, always losing places. If I go more gentle on the throttle the other guys are much faster than me, if I go hrader then I risk spinning and at least a couple of cars go past me as I sit at the rev limiter between first and second gear. Is it maybe to do with me using automatic gears? Or just a setup issue?

Platform
    PC
    I *think* itīs a matter of how much throttle you apply. I know that car is critical with all itīs power. Donīt think itīs about automatic gears. Setup may bring a little more grip to the rear but you sound more like *way too much* power so Iīd suggest to either give traction control a try or practice practice practice. Maybe both of it. Go for a private practice session and try some long runs to get more feeling for the engineīs behaviour, start very easy on the throttle. After a while you will learn to know when you are coming to the point where the wheels will spin again and you will automatically be prepared to lift throttle a little to avoid wild behaviour. It takes some time and you have to be patient with it.

Thatīs about all I can recommend you to do, I am not a setup expert.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition @+100 MHz | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case youīre looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Cheers, appreciate the help. I might need to mess with my FFB settings as I'm maybe not getting the feedback that I'm losing grip enough - the FX car has made me realise I'm relying mainly on visuals and sound to know I need to catch an emerging slide.

In terms of racing, I was improving a lot driving it fast without sliding - I was sliding it regularly but I know I'm just an inconsistent driver still at this point. The starts I feel like I've tried every degree of pressure on my right foot, and if there's a sweet spot between grip-but-slow and quick-but-spinning then it's really difficult to find! Keep practicing I guess...
    The following user likes this Post: PostBox981

Platform
    PS4
    I had a lot of trouble with this game from the start. I changed the aids in the gameplay menu to ABS on, STC off, and TC to high. Then in car setup menu I cranked the TC until the car(s) became more stable and easier to control and drive. As I gradually got used to the sensitivity of each car, I started to bring the TC down. But honestly, only in the most hardcore of leagues do they restrict TC, so I recommend using it as much as you need. Same goes for ABS - I turn it down a fair bit because the braking is better without. The other thing in the setup menu I recommend tinkering with is the preload on the clutch. Increasing it will help with some of the power oversteer issues you are having.

EDIT: Just realized that those settings were suggested to me months ago and didn't work well as TC high slowed the car too much, iirc. Went back to authentic/real which I believe sets the TC and ABS low, STC off. I do run TC fairly high, though; 60-90% depending on which car, except the Stock Car.

By the way, I just set the 14th fastest time in the world yesterday in the FX car at Bathurst (PS4). Three of my mates have the top 3 times, and the top guy with the WR is also faster than the times guys have on the PC version (1:34:908). If you're on PS4, I recommend going into Time Trial, select Bathurst and the FX car, then choosing a ghost of any of the top 30 drivers and trying out the setup. Do this with any car and track combo. Generally, I find the top 5 driver's setups to still be difficult to drive. If you can, try mine. It's setup to be sticky and to defeat understeer/oversteer as much as possible. My time at Bathurst is 1:39:542, which would be 13th fastest on the PC version. It's a super fun car once you get control of it and master the use of KERS. If you're not on PS4, and you want to check out my tuning setup, just let me know here and I'll screenshot it and post it. Likely in the garage/car setup section of the forum.

Have you checked out the Insider's Guide to PC2? Here's the YouTube link. Fantastic series. Especially the tuning vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0A...c2LNT&index=18
    Last edited by BionicBacon; 29-03-2018 at 06:44.
    PS ID: KingBukB
    PS4, T300 (Alcantara Edition), T3PA Pro, TH8A

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I'm on Xbox sorry, but thanks for the tips. I'll definitely get on the time trial section and look at some setups. to be honest I'm not sure I realised you could download other people's setups that way. I haven't paid too much attention to the time trial section due to the daft leaderboard limitations on console.

Will watch that YouTube series too, looks great

Update: I watched the video on force feedback settings over lunch, really helped my understanding and I'm looking forward to getting on and mucking about to make sure I have the feedback I need on tire slip. I spent an hour restarting FX on Long Beach the other night trying not to bin it on every corner, so that should be a good testing ground!
    Last edited by ModoX; 29-03-2018 at 15:17.
    The following user likes this Post: BionicBacon

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Fantastic series!!!