Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Problem is this is a very long track, so it is indeed very tricky to learn from a ghost. Also it is very difficult to learn some corners, because for example in order to learn corners in sector 3, you need to pass at least 2 minutes through the first 2 sectors, including being completely full throttle for a long time. So my main idea was that you'd concentrate on the first 5-6 corners only, till the first straight, and if you learn to go faster there, it will help you everywhere else, too. And indeed I had noticed you were going fast through the 2 chikanes, holding on to some throttle while cornering and maintaining good speed for the straights ahead, so using the same principle you should go much faster also in the first corners, with more practice.

Also I still think you'd make your life a lot easier by using a much slower car first. With a slow car you will be able to move the car better across the track, position it better and practice on using the whole width of the track, while maintaining speed. Once you've mastered this, you can move to faster cars and I think it will feel a lot easier now.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: specialkone, stickmaster62

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    This entire thread (OP and discussion as well) is very informative and helpful! Many thanks to all of you!
    The following user likes this Post: PostBox981

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Well I’m not quite keeping up to you in the critical corners but at least I’m now close enough on the entire lap to see what you’re doing. The last corner (in the first set of corners) leading to the first straight is killing me. I’m either way too fast or way too slow.

I’m now just about keeping up with the default AI with this car/track combination. Thanks for that cpcdem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lemans24HLeaderboard.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	257306

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by specialkone View Post
    Well I’m not quite keeping up to you in the critical corners but at least I’m now close enough on the entire lap to see what you’re doing. The last corner (in the first set of corners) leading to the first straight is killing me. I’m either way too fast or way too slow.

I’m now just about keeping up with the default AI with this car/track combination. Thanks for that cpcdem.
    Hey, great to see your progress, glad we could help a little bit! Yeah, it's a step by step process, you gain time little by little, until some time you looks back and suddenly realize you're several seconds faster than when you started! Good thing is now you have plenty of ghost cars in default setup that are just a couple seconds in front of you, so you can chose any of them to see how they are doing. I will also follow your ghost and give you suggestions maybe, will also try to do a slightly faster time.

Btw, another thing that I think helps a lot is to bring the monitor as close to you as possible and use a FOV as close as you can to the realistic one. This way the corners come to you in a more natural way and you feel you have more time to respond to them, prepare your line, better judge the braking point etc. I think that it helped me a lot when I started using a FOV of 50 for my 23'' monitor in about 70 cm in front of me, but I want to buy a larger ultrawide monitor and further decrease the FOX setting.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post

Btw, another thing that I think helps a lot is to bring the monitor as close to you as possible and use a FOV as close as you can to the realistic one. This way the corners come to you in a more natural way and you feel you have more time to respond to them, prepare your line, better judge the braking point etc. I think that it helped me a lot when I started using a FOV of 50 for my 23'' monitor in about 70 cm in front of me, but I want to buy a larger ultrawide monitor and further decrease the FOX setting.
    Yes, I agree the correct FOV gives you a much better picture of the track/corners. I can’t change where my 27 inch monitor is, which is about 30 inches (76 CM) away. That gives me an FOV of 48 which I was using for the 1.49 run.
    The game defaults me to a 75 FOV. Problem is I absolutely hate that “correct” FOV adjustment which in cockpit view makes me lose any view of the dash and side mirrors. I also love seeing the hand going down to shift gears in the Ferrari 512 and Porsche 917 from the Lemans DLC which I can’t see with a 48 FOV. Even at a 75 FOV I can’t see the side mirrors on an Indy car. At 48 the cockpit view of an Indy car is not a cockpit view at all. All I see is the nose of the car.

Your help is much appreciated.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    You're welcome and I agree, it s***s that a correct FOV limits visibility so much, but we can't have it all, after all in a real car we do not see the dash without moving our head or lower our eyes too much...For this reason I want to get an ultrawide, maybe even triples at some point.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by specialkone View Post
    The last corner (in the first set of corners) leading to the first straight is killing me. I’m either way too fast or way too slow.
    I followed your ghost car, I think it's much better than before. Some suggestions:

- The fist right hander is a full throttle one, you must not brake before it, but keep the speed going instead. I know, it is difficult to brake for the next corner this way, but try to learn it. After the right hander is done, keep turning a bit to the right so you get a good line for the next turn and start applying braking, but not full, because this will destabilize the car. Full brake when you do have your wheel almost straight.
    - For the second part of the chicane, do not take it directly (in almost a straight line) apex to apex, because this way if you carry much speed, you will get out of track at the exit, this is why you are forced to brake there as well. Instead, take the first part wider at the right, turn later and more sharply, this will take you at the left part of the road for the second part of the chicane. Turn again later and more sharply right and you will be able to carry much more speed, without braking at all in the middle of the chicane.
    - At the end of the esses, in the last left handler, you are losing speed because at least the time you registered this ghost, you went very wide. Try to hit the apex on the left (just off the kerbs) while not braking that much and you will gain enough time there.
    - For the last right hander, I think again you need to brake and turn just a little later and sharper, and go back on throttle as fast as possible. This is very important, due to the long straight ahead, so there's lot of time to be gained there.

I know, its all a lot easier said than done, especially with such a monster car! But if you'd like to further improve, try to work on those areas, step by step, giving it plenty of time and practice. If you learn to nail those corners, it wil help you greatly for the rest of the track, too.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    OK, thanks cpcdem. I'll work with those suggestions. Lately, I'm just running off the track trying to improve my time in time trial. I'll let you know if/when I can run consistent, improved lap times.

Again, thanks for your time on this.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    From the PC leaderboards, that 13th place (3.48.041 time) is less embarrassing. Perhaps with more practice I’ll be able to move towards gregc’s time. At least thanks to you, cpcdem, I now know where I’m going wrong. Buy yeah, properly executing is easier said than done. But now I can beat the default AI, which was my main objective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCLeaderboard.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	257580

Steam of course knows what you are playing. I’m thinking they must be seeing some of my PCars 2 practice laps. Now they are recommending for my next purchase something called Wreckfest. LOL, no thanks.

As an aside, SMS you just received another very important award for Project Cars 2. I have well over 50 Steam/EA games, including all COD, Battlefield games, FFXV, F1 2017, Doom, Far Cry 5, etc. Did they receive this coveted award, no, and that’s because they only have 10% or less of the time played compared to PCars 2. Still having a blast with PCars 2 and so much yet to be explored. So only Project Cars 2 got moved to my SSD. You now sit there alone with Windows 10 and Office. Congrats. Some of the fine, helpful forum members and of course the fine knowledgeable mods deserve an award too. Much thanks.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, gregc, hkraft300

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Hey, glad to see your progress! Yeah, that 1 second ahead in LeMans is just a better corner exit in 2-3 turns and there you have greg's time! It just needs patience in practicing more and more and I am sure it helps a lot looking back just 3 weeks ago when you thought you were going the fastest possible and now you're already 4 seconds faster! I think we've (more or less) all been through that process
    The following 2 users likes this Post: gregc, specialkone