Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Banned
    Platform
    PS4

Platform
    PC
    That is why it is silly to turn down on someone while they are inside of you and to be realistic in real life no one ever turns in on a car they know is inside.
    lol... someone should have a word with Sebastion Vettel then

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    You're not getting it.
    That might be true, I don't even understand the points you made in the context of the discussion. All I was suggesting is that SMS states official racing rules for pc2. If we don't have a common sense of what is expected, I don't see how we have better and cleaner races compared to a world where everybody may has his own opinion.

Especially simracers have the problem that they tend to have a very strong opinion (in doubt re-read your posts).

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Even iRacing doesn't have such a rule.

The reason being that in sim racing you have no peripheral vision and people race with a very small FOV do they can only see what is in front of them.

If such a discussion ever come up on iRacing the advice would be to develop better situational awareness and someone might even like the surviving rookies videos.

There is no practical rule that is reasonable considering the limitations of racing on a tiny screen.

And how would such a rule be enforced?

So the best solution is tell people to develop better situational awareness and drive to the situation. It is up to everyone to avoid wrecks.

Platform
    PC
    Civic said "It is up to everyone to avoid wrecks"

I agree. If it were taken seriously, then Dan Wheldon would still be alive today possibly. That horrendous crash at Las Vegas Motor Speedway circuit could have been mostly avoided if the drivers behind the start of it had just lifted off and shown caution. But that is not the mindset unfortunately, win at all costs is the general attitude and in real life that costs lives. In a sim race it just costs someone their race, and a lot of wasted time if practise is involved. It shows a lack of respect for others and is incredibly juvenile.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    I'm not sure how that is relevant. I've been trying to point out why real life passing rules like pillar rules can't be applicable to sim racing. My comment about avoiding wrecks is related to sim racing. The reason being because when someone gets inside of you there is no way of knowing where they are and if there is any kind of distance rule the car being passed has no way of knowing if the car inside had reached the point that gives them right of way.

Platform
    XBOX1
    The car on the inside does in no way always have the right of way. While you have to give some space you can try to hold your position on the outside. If your car is on the inside and at least half a car lenght in front, then yes, you can claim the corner. People trying to overtake on impossible spots are a huge problem. Be patient, hang back, apply pressure and force mistakes, then overtake cleanly.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Half a length in front? You're dreaming, sim racers will never race like that when they don't need to race like that anywhere else.

Platform
    XBOX1
    You sound like you were the ambassador for all sim racers. I think you just talk for yourself. If you think you can just throw your car to the inside of a corner or just divebomb to have the right of way for the next corner, then you're a dangerous driver. If you're not half a length in front nobody has to give up his position because of a self declared right of way.
    Last edited by rich1e I; 01-10-2017 at 11:15.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Not an ambassador. Just a bloke who argued from your position until other sim racers who were better than me schooled me about situational awareness in sim racing and now a guy with more experience and who has watched the best sim racers in the world racing and seeing how they race.