Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Platform
    PC
    I’ve spent 12 months learning the ropes in iRacing, plus previous online experience going back to Live For Speed day’s. I’m new to Project Cars, however the following has worked for me:

1. Drive within your means.
    2. Give up a position if being hounded by a reckless driver. You’ll pass them once they crash.
    3. When struggling to pass a driver, stay close, but not too close and wait for a mistake.
    4. When following two dicing cars, give them room to fight it out and don’t get caught in their crash.
    5. Be consistent in your own lap times.

I’m rarely the fastest on track, however this strategy allows me to finish higher than my starting position, improves my safety rating, improves my techniques and keeps me coming back for more fun.

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    That's a silly fight, in sim racing it is up to you to avoid collisions, that means the car inside always has right of way. That is the reason the iRacing spotter is a good function. If he says car inside it means do not turn in. In addition to this it also means that once the car outside has started to turn in you should not put your nose in if you wish to avoid a collision.
    Under your rule the inside car can do whatever and the outside needs to do all to avoid a collision. No need to leave the outside car room on exit or even at the apex? inside can dive bomb and go as wide as they want with the outside car just vanishing for the king on the inside.

Simplest general rule for casual racing is leave racing room when overlapped, this will avoid contact from both cars. Whichever car didnt leave room is at fault and its a 2 way street. If battle someone over many laps leaving them plenty of room for their dive bomb antics later in the race the door will be shut and they will be shocked. Most of these guys need all the track and then some, totally incapable of going side by side with anyone down a straight let alone a corner. Simply putting pressure on them for a few laps is normally enough to make them make an error at which point they normally drive you off the track mid straight or re enter the track to cut off your run. Just general ahole behaviour normally after a collision they bring out the famous Senna defence.

If you want to race like an Ahole divebombing and thinking everyone needs to leave you the room but you dont need to for anyone else, best to stick with AI racing or hotlapping I think.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by martymoose View Post
    Under your rule the inside car can do whatever and the outside needs to do all to avoid a collision. No need to leave the outside car room on exit or even at the apex? inside can dive bomb and go as wide as they want with the outside car just vanishing for the king on the inside.
    Why is that? Because you say so? Saying it is up to every driver to avoid a collision would imply the inside car has as much responsibility to hold his lane as the outside car has to not turn in. That's the key reason it works. For example at Watkins Glen on iRacing you can let anyone have the inside through the outer loop and you will always come out ahead. That's the trick racing there, always make sure you have the outside line through that corner and try to trick the other guy into taking the inside line.

Quote Originally Posted by martymoose View Post
    Simplest general rule for casual racing is leave racing room when overlapped, this will avoid contact from both cars.
    This is exactly what I am saying. When ever 2 cars are alongside they must both give each other room. The outside car should never turn in. People are acting like there needs to be some kind of pillar rule or an in front rule similar to IRL but these are not practical for the sim racing world. The only practical rule is that everyone must try and avoid collisions and give each other space.

In regards to a dive bomb clearly the guy who does that is not trying to avoid collisions or giving space. But more often than not being able to anticipate such a move and reacting to it in a way that gives the idiot space can allow you not only avoid a collision with him but stay in front of him as being able to avoid a divebomb on entry usually will put you in a better position for exit.

Except on PCARS2 with the terrible mirror that seems impossible as cars seemingly appear out of no where to divebomb you. Still it doesn't change the fact that regardless of if you are on the inside or outside when you are next to a car regardless of how far alongside the car is it is stupid to move into their position.

Platform
    XBOX1
    You clearly said the car on the inside has the right of way, and that's nonsense imo.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Yes the car on the inside has the right to the inside lane that he is occupying, only a fool would turn in on a car that is next to them. I think you are trying to make out from an isolated statement I said something other than what I said while ignoring every other comment I made on the subject.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Well 'right of way' is something completely different than 'right to hold your line', but ok, if there's context I've overlooked I apologise.
    Last edited by rich1e I; 06-10-2017 at 18:27.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    No prob I can understand how I could be misunderstood. I think it stems from the various lines. The racing line uses the entire track, when 2 cars are alongside neither can follow the racing line. Typically we desire the inside line in such a situation and earlier we were talking specifically in regard to a car turning into a car on the inside when the outside car wishes to follow the racing line. In that regard I was just saying the car inside has the right to the inside line. I didn't think I needed to clarify I was not talking about the racing line.

But it should be noted that the disagreement stems from my belief that the outside car should give the inside car room for him to take that inside line. Unless you can be sure that the inside car isn't alongside you at all you should never turn in on him IMO, I think if you turn in on a car inside and hit them, it is your fault. Then I'll take that further by suggesting you should always drive to the situation, not every driver drives to the same standard.

In fact I've been a victim just the other night of misjudging a driver. He was a C license, we were at Brands Hatch, I was leading the race. I assumed based on his license he was a clean driver so knowing he was behind me I took the racing line, he could have and should have avoided any contact unless he was a dirty driver but I gave him opportunity and he deliberately ran into me and spun me. My son saw it a mile away, I ignored my son as my son urged me to stay outside, in hindsight I should have known better because I know on that corner having the outside is the better lane choice anyway and would have kept me in the lead going into the next corner. The incident was clearly his fault, I sarcastically said on mic "nice pass" and "it's a pity you can't drive and need to crash people out of the way". But the reality is I could have avoided that crash and didn't so as much as he is at fault I take responsibility for not racing smarter. It was also in that moment I realised PC2 licence is no better than iRacing's. Fingers crossed for GTS.

Platform
    XBOX1
    I totally agree with you on the point that the outside car has to give room. This is basic stuff of racing etiquette plus if damage is on and the safety rank is at stake it's for my own good. If you want to finish first you first have to finish, right?
    Maybe that guy misjudged the situation at Brands Hatch. You don't rank up to C if you keep plowing your way through the field and overtake at impossible spots.
    Last edited by rich1e I; 07-10-2017 at 00:22.

Platform
    PS4
    Add this site to first post: https://driver61.com/
    The following user likes this Post: poirqc

Platform
    PC