Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    thank you for the information

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Thought I'd share the Racelogic free ebook with you all , It's full of information from Compound corners to finding time in the wet. Very good and lots of useful information and best of all it's free . Just google Racelogic ebook

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_download...it-driving.pdf
    Last edited by Roger Prynne; 25-10-2017 at 10:25. Reason: Added link
    The following 3 users likes this Post: McKiernan, PostBox981, Rikirk

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilsOnWheels View Post
    Ive spent 12 months learning the ropes in iRacing, plus previous online experience going back to Live For Speed days. Im new to Project Cars, however the following has worked for me:

1. Drive within your means.
    2. Give up a position if being hounded by a reckless driver. Youll pass them once they crash.
    3. When struggling to pass a driver, stay close, but not too close and wait for a mistake.
    4. When following two dicing cars, give them room to fight it out and dont get caught in their crash.
    5. Be consistent in your own lap times.

Im rarely the fastest on track, however this strategy allows me to finish higher than my starting position, improves my safety rating, improves my techniques and keeps me coming back for more fun.
    Quoting for my own sake, because I intuitively know these things, but forget them when I'm caught up in the moment. Excellent advice.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Herege, poirqc

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Something I've personally done since Project Gotham Racing 2 (my first racing game, so many good memories) is after a race watch the replay from the chase view. You can critique all your driving and see how to improve, like apex, where to apex in some turns, brake points, racing line, all that stuff.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I bought PC2 recently, and I noticed I am not very good at sim racing I have the logitech G27, just ABS and TCS on.

Should I drive with stability control on?

I tend to spin in a few corners here and there, but I think from the links by the OP I worked out that I let the back end get too light into corners or lift get on the accelerator too early. Don't seem to have too much of an issue with understeer it's more oversteer and spinning when I try to go fast.

What else would you recommend for a newbie trying to improve. Also should I stick to career mode and drop the AI difficulty?

Platform
    PC
    If you spin through the corners while you're getting back on throttle, it can be both a diff problem and a roll-bar balance issue. (considering I don't exactly know when and what's happening with your car)

You shouldn't drive with stability enabled, but you should try the stable setup. It has more understeer, but helps you feel the car until you're confident with it to allow more response and trickier handling to go out and find those two secondes from your laptimes.

I don't know how the G27 works, but I know the game itself works on 1080 while my wheel is 900 (and I like it that way). Did you calibrate your wheel ? Maybe you've got too much steering input ?

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the reply.

I found that a very light throttle input helped with out too much throttle and just been a little easier with the brakes easing them off then back onto squeezing the throttle is working better for me.

I am still fairly new, so I decided to just do career mode at 30 AI difficulty in the guietta jnr (very bottom left option when starting new) and I find the slower car and me trying to drive smoother worked, my first race I was a bit faster than the AI, but spun a twice and just beat them.

By my 4th race I managed to not spin, didn't drive super fast but consistent and I overtook the AI at 30 so I will bump it up next session.

I checked on of the fastest lap times I forgot the track name but the fastest lap time globally was 1:00:00 (rounded down) and I did a 1:05:00 so I am now about 5 seconds off the pace of the fastest dudes in the slower car around an easier track.

I think I just need more practice and will slowly move up to more powerful and faster cars that are less stable and see how I go with the spinning
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    The Ginetta is actually kind of tricky, you have to drive it like a kart and throw it into the corners. It's hard to train your trail-braking techniques since the back end is always loose (but it's faster that way).

You should also give a try to high downforce cars, the Radical SR3 is somewhat easy to drive without tuning recquirements. It's not "that" fast but as with every low horsepower vehicle, you can push your limits instead. Or at least I do.

And again, snap oversteer (aka spinning out at the exit) is caused by mid-corner understeer, because you have too much steering input, thus the car snaps when throttle+grip. Try the Radical. If you feel that same issue, loose the front anti-roll bar (by minus ten or twenty). Remember to straighten up your steering a little bit when getting back on the throttle, it won't make the car perfect.

You can also easily spin out with a tail-happy / unbalanced car if you take a bad racing line. I don't know how you drive, but try wide entry, so you can be a little more straight on the exit when getting back on throttle.
    The following user likes this Post: lawrencep93

Platform
    PC
    For the period of more than 20 years I always thought its the big fat cars that are fun. Man, I was so wrong. pCars (1) told me that its the slow cars being more fun than the supercars sometimes. I ran the Clio in career and loved it. Also give the BMW 2002 turbo a go, this car is somewhat tailhappy but it reacts relatively slow so you get more time to react to it. If you love FWD or AWD, also give the Audi A1 a try.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition | HP Reverb Pro | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case youre looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de
    The following 3 users likes this Post: F1_Racer68, Herege, Konan

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyreen View Post
    The Ginetta is actually kind of tricky, you have to drive it like a kart and throw it into the corners. It's hard to train your trail-braking techniques since the back end is always loose (but it's faster that way).

You should also give a try to high downforce cars, the Radical SR3 is somewhat easy to drive without tuning recquirements. It's not "that" fast but as with every low horsepower vehicle, you can push your limits instead. Or at least I do.

And again, snap oversteer (aka spinning out at the exit) is caused by mid-corner understeer, because you have too much steering input, thus the car snaps when throttle+grip. Try the Radical. If you feel that same issue, loose the front anti-roll bar (by minus ten or twenty). Remember to straighten up your steering a little bit when getting back on the throttle, it won't make the car perfect.

You can also easily spin out with a tail-happy / unbalanced car if you take a bad racing line. I don't know how you drive, but try wide entry, so you can be a little more straight on the exit when getting back on throttle.
    Awesome thanks, I have sorted out my spinning on exit now, it's just some slightly tricky corners where the braking zone isn't straight, and really really tight hair pins I am a little hopeless at in the Ginetta Jnr. I will keep going with Career when I get back from Abu Dabi (Going to watch the Formula 1 GP).

I do try to take a wide entry with late apex but don't always get my braking markers right so I got to work on really learning the track and sorting out my visual markers. I guess with Career I do go through a few tracks as I want to progress but the more famous tracks I would like to sit down and learn my points and the track really well. Once I do a few laps I know the turns and have a rough idea of apex's but need help on picking my optimum braking points