Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    The biggest problem to me is to best apex a curve once I use gamepad its not so precise as a steering wheel or any millimeter at the gamepad makes a lot of difference to lost the car! I need to practice many times to master the track.
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Can you guys help me with my (lack of) driving skills, specifically at Lemans 24H.I don’t want to adjust the stable setup. My assumption is a decent driver should be able to easily defeat the default AI with the stable setup.
    I’m driving the Mercedes CLK LM as I find it quite stable and noticed it is one of the top cars/time on the Lemans 24H leaderboard.

I need 3.48 lap times to beat the default AI and at my current limits I run 3.52 (see video). First set of corners and the set of S corners are particularly brutal for me. AI bangs into me at times. I watch videos/time trials but not sure those are the stable default setups. I see a 3.41 on the leaderboard with a default setup and this car so I’m obviously making about 11 seconds of mistakes. Could any of you good drivers at least post a video of the Mercedes CLK LM with the stable setup and cockpit view?

Platform
    PC
    I'm not the fastest guy, but a few insights:
    - when you are approaching the first chicane before Dunlop bridge, you brake too hard a then you need again accelerate before you reach the left corner of the chicane - you are loosing time
    - in many corners you turn in too early (both chicanes on the Hunadieres) - try to follow driving line arrows
    - in many corners you turn too tight (Tertre Rouge, when leaving both chicanes on the Hunadieres, Mulsanne, Indianapolis, Arnage) and on the corner exit you do not use the full width of the track - tighter cornering means low speed and the loss of time - again try to follow arrows
    - in Karting-S you were to fast and before Corvette curve you were too on the left side, which means you have to brake more than necessary and in Corvette you are slower
    - while entering first of the Porsche esses, you are too wide and then in the corner you are too tight=slower
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, specialkone

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    In addition to what @wabi said, since you're on PC, why don't you follow some of the ghosts in TT mode, to see where they are gaining time on you? There are 2 entries done on default with a lap time of 3.41, also two around 3.43 and another two at 3.45, you might prefer the latter yet and go step by step to the faster ones. Yes, maybe they are not done on stable setup, but on loose instead, but those should not be too different one to the other.

I am not familiar with this car to really judge, but I suspect in most case it will that the ghost cars have faster exiting speeds from corners, so gain much time down the long straights after them. I see you get some of the corners at the limiter for example, while I think you could probably have already upshifted and gain more speed while cornering. But following the ghosts will make this obvious if this is the case, that's the beauty of TT, that you can see directly exactly where you need to improve and by how much.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: specialkone, wabi

Platform
    PC
    @cpcdem is right. Following ghosts in TT is really good way, how to find, where you are slower. But with such a long circuit, do not load fastest ghost immediately. You are slower by 11 sec, this means you will loose them in first or second corner. You have to go step by step. First load ghost 1-2 sec faster than you. When you will be able to reach his time, load next 1-2 sec faster. In TT tables you can see, which time is with default setup, which is with custom setup, which is with steering wheel and which (those are really ALIENS) used controller.

Just one addition, usable on almost every track: watch, where are wide curbs (white-red stripped, somewhere white-blue) on corner etries or exits. Usually they are on places, where is highly possible to touch or run over track margins. On this places, of course according to your driving style, you should use full width of the track. Nordschleife, is really good example, although there are pavements instead of curbs on many places. They are really good guide, because they are made on places, where many drivers usually crossed track margins. If you are on this places far from track margins, you have to move

Upgrade nr.2:
    Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    ...somewhere white-blue) on corner etries or exits. ...:
    some tracks have theese enlarged on the inner side in the middle of the corner, which help you to find, where your trajectory should touch the inner side. Good example is in Oschersleben the exit from second curve called Hotel (the grand right circle) to the straight to Hasseröder.
    Last edited by wabi; 25-06-2018 at 21:03.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cpcdem, specialkone

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by specialkone View Post
    Can you guys help me with my (lack of) driving skills, specifically at Lemans 24H.I don’t want to adjust the stable setup. My assumption is a decent driver should be able to easily defeat the default AI with the stable setup.
    I’m driving the Mercedes CLK LM as I find it quite stable and noticed it is one of the top cars/time on the Lemans 24H leaderboard.

I need 3.48 lap times to beat the default AI and at my current limits I run 3.52 (see video). First set of corners and the set of S corners are particularly brutal for me. AI bangs into me at times. I watch videos/time trials but not sure those are the stable default setups. I see a 3.41 on the leaderboard with a default setup and this car so I’m obviously making about 11 seconds of mistakes. Could any of you good drivers at least post a video of the Mercedes CLK LM with the stable setup and cockpit view?

I actually did a quick run in TT when I saw this post yesterday, then went out for the day and clean forgot to actually reply to the thread

To add to what's already been posted I'd also say (this part only relevant if using a gamepad) that the speed sensitivity is (IMO) quite a way off on this car - I had to turn it down to 75 to make it driveable for me (for reference, I normally run with default pad settings and this is the first car I've found where I needed to change anything). Like I say, only relevant if playing with a pad.

Secondly, the Stable setup is very understeery - I'd genuinely suggest you at least give the Loose setup a try.

With that said, as mentioned I did a run in TT, on default Stable, that I'd describe as conservative at best and got a 3:48.6 which is in the ballpark of what you're looking for - I can put a video up later if you like, but in the meantime my ghost is there on the PC version if you want to use that as a starting point.
    Last edited by gregc; 25-06-2018 at 12:20.
    System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Xbox 360 Controller | Oculus Rift CV1
    The following user likes this Post: specialkone

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks so much to wabi, cpcdem and gregc for taking the time to (likely painfully) watch that video and comment to help me out.

Wabi, re your first post, yes I’m sure you are right with all those comments. I’m trying to follow the driving line exactly. When I’m not it is because I’m obviously out of control or as you said either braking too hard and then having to accelerate too quickly afterwards. This often results in oversteer for me and I just spin out when accelerating half way through a corner.

What’s not clear to me (not just this track) is what speed/gear I should be carrying through the corners. Should I be braking half way through or just rolling into the corners braking before the turn? On a track like this I keep hearing in slow and accelerate out as early as possible to gain top speed on the straights.

I’m constantly out of control and it shouldn’t be like this. Good driving is about fast and in control laps. I see videos of this track (not this car) and guys are chatting while racing and achieving impressive lap times consistently. Of course they aren’t using default setups but I don’t think I should move from default stable/loose until I can drive better.

CPcdem, I’ve tried time trials/ghosts. As you mentioned, I can’t load the 3.41 as that guy is miles ahead of me and I don’t learn a thing. If I load a 3.48, yes it shows me where I am slower but I can’t figure out from any of the TT’s what I doing wrong. Also, when I’m close to a ghost I find it distracting and lose my focus. But if you guys are saying TT’s help I will keep trying.
    I am obviously not understanding when and how much to brake/accelerate and what speed/gear I need to achieve in each corner. I also don’t think the coding on the driving lines could be complex enough to help my lack of skills. I think red is just telling me I going to fast and green too slow.

I’m still thinking a good way to try and improve is to look at videos of cockpit view and pause them as you reach each corner and through the corners to see your speeds and gears. But even with that I have to guess at when you brake, how hard and when you’re off the brake and on the gas and if there is any trail braking going on. But I should be able to figure out some of that myself. So yes gregc, if you and anyone else could post a cockpit view video it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to suggest a “better” handling car to improve my skills on this track that’s fine but I prefer to stay with same or similar class or GT3.

Thanks very much to all. Some fine members this board has.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: gregc, wabi

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I agree, the ghost car can become distracting, so if you want you can use it just to see the lines and where he gains time and then try again without the ghost (I wish the devs add an option to show/hide the ghost car without needing to exit to main menu and restart TT).

Another thing that I think is distracting, is the racing line. I suggest to get rid of it, it will be difficult at first, but later you will see that without it you can "see" the track better and it will train yourself to watch where you should (apexex and corner exists), instead of down on the road, where the racing line is displaying.

About using another car to improve your skills, in my opinion it's always better to use slow cars, because they will teach you how to do good lines, use correctly all the width of the track etc. If you do not want very slow cars, maybe you can try the BMW touring car, which still has good speed and it gives a challenge to drive, but it is not as fast as the monsters you're currently driving. Also I would suggest another track, because in LeMans most of the time you are just in full throttle, and for 50% of the time you drive it, you learn absolutely nothing(since you're just cruising). But then again, most important thing is that you enjoy your time, so if it is the CLK at LeMans that you enjoy most, then ignore me and use just that!

Finally, how about you complete a few laps yourself under TT, the fastest you can, then we can follow your own car instead and come p with suggestions where and how we think you can gain time. Just tell us your steam name, so we can pick your ghost.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: specialkone, wabi

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Here you go - it's not an especially great lap, but more or less the time you're after:

System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Xbox 360 Controller | Oculus Rift CV1
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, specialkone, wabi