Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Renault Clio setup advice - rear end issues

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    You're not going to like this but Yes, and no. You have a bit of studying ahead. If you're running the Clio you need to balance the oversteer with power.
    're dampers- soft bump is weight transfer under braking, accelerating and cornering. When braking for example, you can use the compression of the front of the car to aid grip. Fast bump is the compression and extension of the tyre over the actual road surface. Told you that you had some studying- this is the barest explanation of what you're talking about. Springs are self explanatory but again there's plenty of traps for the unwary.. on some cars spring rate is fixed. There's ways around this though.. if on the Clio increase power ramp on the diff and carry some throttle through the corner..
    thanks a lot for the 101 intro tu dumpers :-) I'm aware I've a lot of study ahead...
    nevertheless, I've managed to get a pole position in Brands Hatch Indy (although with a very low level...but I still put in various laps without turnng the car 180) following the principle of never pull the throttle when cornering. I got there by watching the replay of the AI that was getting the fastest time and finally understanding the basics of FWD driving . He barely touched the brakes and kept the engine on around 5k RPM when cornering. But his driving was very different from the IRL one posted above, where the pilot is on much higher RPM.
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    Well...if nothing should have been released with faults...there wouldn't be a human race...
    Now that's a reply I would expect from a youngster.
    You don't buy humans sunshine with hard earned cash that's illegal. When something is sold you expect it to work 100%. You would not buy a new car if you knew it had faults.
    This company knows they should have not released it, yet as I have read in a post from the CEO regarding the trading standards companies which was made in brackets. Even though they bring out patches the consumer in the UK is now protected by law regarding the buying of faulty games.
    But hey I have not reported anyone, although it would be easy to do so.

Please don't get me wrong and get on your high horses here, I love the game and have bought other game by this company, but there are too many problems that need sorting out.

In England you are allowed free speech and that was all I was doing without insulting anyone and I made a fair comment. Strange how you just picked up on that last little comment and did not say anything constructive about the issues i posted. I thought Moderators should not comment in such a way as to incite retaliatory replies.

You all have a nice day and happy racing.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by manzomo View Post
    thanks a lot for the 101 intro tu dumpers :-) I'm aware I've a lot of study ahead...
    nevertheless, I've managed to get a pole position in Brands Hatch Indy (although with a very low level...but I still put in various laps without turnng the car 180) following the principle of never pull the throttle when cornering. I got there by watching the replay of the AI that was getting the fastest time and finally understanding the basics of FWD driving . He barely touched the brakes and kept the engine on around 5k RPM when cornering. But his driving was very different from the IRL one posted above, where the pilot is on much higher RPM.
    Hey Manzomo, good to read your feedback. I'm happy that's it's working for you. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the Clio. I ended up having a lot of fun in that car. Regarding the study- that's fun too. I started out thinking exactly the same, that it must be a fault etc etc. But I read up and realised it's expected behaviour and then realised I needed to understand a lot more about car setups than I did. It took me a few weeks of reading articles on lots of different websites and I recommend you look at real world methods and descriptions. So pleased that I was able to help, even in a small way.
    The following user likes this Post: manzomo

Platform
    PC
    I was about to open a thread about how I came to love this car, but then I discovered this one. Lots of great info in here already and I can't really offer much additional input for those who still struggle with the car, but here's some of my experiences anyway.
    I really struggled with the Clio (and the other FWD Touring Cars) for quite a while. It was basically undriveable for me. Coming from all sorts of racing games, what I had learned so far was: FWD = Understeer = annoying but easy to drive. Which might be true for certain road cars, but is obviously complete BS when it comes to racing cars. And I quickly realised and accepted that this car behaviour is actually natural and realistic. But still, I never learned the driving style for that, so it was undriveable and frustrating!

But at some point I actually took a mental step back and thought..hang on. What's the cause of these problems and couldn't I influence that by driving differently? So then I started to adjust my driving and played around with the setup (to a degree that my knowledge allows) and suddenly I noticed that I started to control this little beast! And after more and more practice it became more and more fun and most importantly, started to feel intuitive! The thing is that the driving style is something you'd never think of at first, because with every other car it would just be very slow, so it really needs a flick of the switch in your brain.

Now I can't yet say that I can throw this car into corners, in fact my technique right now is very different. But I was able to compete with some seriously fast guys the other night, so it might not be totally off. The key factors to me are (as partly mentioned before):

Brake much earlier and veeery gradually release the brake (even trail braking is possible that way). Mostly I tend to be on the throttle again (just a bit) once I turn in, before the apex!
    In nervous corners, roll onto the throttle gently whilst you roll off the brakes. This overlap is also a big help for me in fast corners, where you only have to lift or brake a little bit in 3rd/4th gear. Brake a little, overlap, realese brake and power through! Sometimes you really need some faith for this because your brain is not used to hitting full throttle before the apex for a fast turn in a FWD car. It's scary, but it works 99% of the time
    Throttle modulation: especially in very long corners you have to adapt your throttle modulation. Don't lift off completely like you usually would! Just feather it lightly between 50%-100%. Getting understeer? Release the pedal a tad. Backside coming around? Pedal towards the metal again. Like this you can really have the car dancing around those corners very nicely!
    And then there's the steering. After a couple of really good online races where I found a great rhythm and good speed I observed that I hardly use any steering angle Except for the apex area in slow corners maybe. But apart from that I tend to massage the car around the track, and I really mean that! Turn in as smooooth as you can and the back will help you turn in, requiring only very little steering input. But it's all about smoothness! And obviously, be ready to gently open up the steering throughout the corner if necessary. It almost feels like your steering it by telepathy.

So yeah, I just wanted to share this because it transformed that car for me, and maybe there's something in there that someone might find useful. Don't give up on it guys, at some point, it will click!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Keena, manzomo

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeChris View Post
    I was about to open a thread about how I came to love this car, but then I discovered this one. Lots of great info in here already and I can't really offer much additional input for those who still struggle with the car, but here's some of my experiences anyway.

/////////

So yeah, I just wanted to share this because it transformed that car for me, and maybe there's something in there that someone might find useful. Don't give up on it guys, at some point, it will click!
    Thanks a lot for wiritng this! I really find yours a very appropriate description on how to (try to) drive it.
    However, there are some tracks where I find it much harder, such as to Silverstone National in the laste three corners. As said, I suually watch the other AI replays (and will try with human players in TT if this is allowed) to learn how to do it, but as much as I try to do follow what they do, I can't permorm as good (and I play in very low difficulty: 30!). Their cars seem just more stable.
    Also, as I've read elsewehere on fora, the car is unrealistically (?) ore stable on wet than on dry track, possibly because of the wet tyres. Some say wet tires also work best on dry but haven't tried that myself yet.

But I still haven't understood why in the IRL video I've seen of Brands Hatch the driving style is different: they keep the car at much higher RPM (lower gear) than the driving style you describe invites you to do.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by manzomo View Post
    Thanks a lot for wiritng this! I really find yours a very appropriate description on how to (try to) drive it.
    However, there are some tracks where I find it much harder, such as to Silverstone National in the laste three corners. As said, I suually watch the other AI replays (and will try with human players in TT if this is allowed) to learn how to do it, but as much as I try to do follow what they do, I can't permorm as good (and I play in very low difficulty: 30!). Their cars seem just more stable.
    Also, as I've read elsewehere on fora, the car is unrealistically (?) ore stable on wet than on dry track, possibly because of the wet tyres. Some say wet tires also work best on dry but haven't tried that myself yet.

But I still haven't understood why in the IRL video I've seen of Brands Hatch the driving style is different: they keep the car at much higher RPM (lower gear) than the driving style you describe invites you to do.
    Yeah some tracks are more challenging than others for me too, like with any other car! I think you should not look at how the AI drives, they have unrealistic lines and driving styles at the moment! Find your line on your own, that's the best you can do, learning by doing!
    The car is very stable in the wet, yes. Not sure if this is related to a bug or not...I've never tried the wet tires in a dry race though. And about the IRL driving: I never said I drive the car at low RPMs No really, that depends on how you like it I guess. With these small, low-powered engines they might do it because they would lose a lot of power and momentum in the lower revs. I also like to keep my cars at higher revs in corners in general because it reduces understeer.

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeChris View Post
    Yeah some tracks are more challenging than others for me too, like with any other car! I think you should not look at how the AI drives, they have unrealistic lines and driving styles at the moment! Find your line on your own, that's the best you can do, learning by doing!
    The car is very stable in the wet, yes. Not sure if this is related to a bug or not...I've never tried the wet tires in a dry race though. And about the IRL driving: I never said I drive the car at low RPMs No really, that depends on how you like it I guess. With these small, low-powered engines they might do it because they would lose a lot of power and momentum in the lower revs. I also like to keep my cars at higher revs in corners in general because it reduces understeer.
    I'm curious about your driving style now :-) any video/ghost to share?
    and what have you touched in setups? did you mess with steering ratio too? I've tried to reduce it to have less risk of oversteering. I'm using a Logitech G29 (my first wheel ever) and I wonder if there are tweaks to make in the settings to make a better experience out of it (depending on cars, tracks, etc.)

Yes, I've heard AI driving has issues, hope they fix it soon. btw (sorry last question): are there any other FWD seasons in Career Mode?

Platform
    PC
    Okay I've recorded a lap for you of a replay I had saved, Idk if it's helpful. It's not the best driving style for sure but you can check it out here: https://youtu.be/dlHL4gEgI4Y
    Unfortunately it's not possible to view telemetry data in the replay...

I have altered the setup, but not the steering ratio. Not a bad idea actually! I can share my setup here tomorrow, I'll just update this post.

I don't know about the career but can't you look it up in the game? There are more FWD Touring Cars in the game in a higher class than the Clio, so maybe there are more career seasons with these. There's the RWD BMW in there too though.

Platform
    PC
    Well what do you know...I thought I should try myself on the Nordschleife with the Clio, because somehow I had never done that before. Managed to snag 3rd place in the time trials pretty quickly I think I could shave off these last 5 seconds as I did make some mistakes, but getting such a quick lap in cleanly might take a while. I'd love to share the replay of that lap, but I haven't found out yet how to watch or save your time trial replays

Also, never mind the U rating, that's actually A

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timetrial1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	245239

And here'S what I changed in the setup as far as I remember. But that might of course not be universally correct, it's just what felt good for me personally:

Name:	Web14.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	245243

Name:	Web13.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	245242

Name:	Web13.jpg