Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CARS 2 Suspension Calculator v0.996(b)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Now I can finally start racing for real...PCARS 1 only started making sence for me after stumbling upon your calculator and I'm pretty sure same goes for PCARS 2. Thank you very much Jussi!

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Renoldo1990 View Post
    There is only one question left for me. Which %-Values should i aim for at 10 in/s.?
    That's up to you.

That particular figure is a "percentage of corner weight", i.e. it relates directly to the force acting on the damper divided by the weight of the car. 100% = force on the damper is equal to the weight of the car for that spring/damper combination. So higher figures there will mean that when hitting a big bump you'll transfer a lot of force into the body, potentially making it kick up harshly.

Note that there's no single right or wrong value here, because it depends on the rest of the setup directly. If you use stiff springs, you need stiff dampers to control them. Stiffer dampers mean more damping force, so stiff springs -> higher 10 in/s figures, especially on a light car. You'll be seeing much lower figures in the relatively softly sprung and heavy road cars than in tightly sprung light open-wheelers simply due to the need to control the springs with enough damping.

EDIT: Also since the 10 in/s figure, especially in bump, partially relates to forces soaked up by the damper and hence transmitted into the body vs. being soaked up by the spring and not transferred to the body, running too low on the 10 in/s bump damping can mean the tyres struggle to keep in contact with the ground, and can cause more suspension compression than is desired. It's a balancing act.
    The following user likes this Post: bmanic

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    looks interesting....but god knows how to use it...can someone enlighten me please

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Jussi explains it in the OP.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    Jussi explains it in the OP.
    yes he explains a little bit but im brain dead...lol. so need a better explanation but he does say he will explain better in the future so maybe ill have to wait.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bockboy View Post
    yes he explains a little bit but im brain dead...lol. so need a better explanation but he does say he will explain better in the future so maybe ill have to wait.
    Hang tight, and in the meanwhile you can check the old pCARS1 calculator thread here for a starter course. It looks a bit different what with the new options in pCARS 2, but the basics are the same.

I'll be making some instructional videos and explanations in the future, but it's an on the side thing that I do whenever I have a chance.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Dalhil, F1_Racer68, Luke Townsend, RobPhoboS

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Standing ovation yet again
    The following user likes this Post: F1_Racer68

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Cheers for this, my biggest issue with racing sims is not knowing the ride frequencies which is what's really required to do it properly. May I ask how you obtained the motion ratios for the cars in the game?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    So is the default set up for Toyota040 and AudiR18 just incredibly loose or is it some setup bug. I'm on my second career play through and I had hard time with Toyota so I picked Audi and doing the same thing rear wipes out on braking which immediately tell me set decel diff for more locking except both play throughs when I do save set up it's using a different car (this time it's my Indy car setup names and last time it was my GT4 setup names so I'm not even sure if any of the setting on the "default are default"
    At COTA I got the car to behave sort of by upping viscous to 4750, adding preload, but now I'm wiping out full on downforce, not doing gear changes, keeping a measure of throttle applied.

Very frustrating- I just have to get through 2hours and I get triple crown and twice top tier and the car is not cooperating at all. Guess after it's all done I'll take it by itself to track and test. It my setting currently should be good for max stability under breaking and it's like I have them the other way. Be nice if telem showed what is happening to the car to prove driver or car error.
    ---
    Edited:
    So I guess the setting took on race but not on quali- as expected my decel dif Setting made car stiff- no spins at all under decel- I guess it just some sort of issue saving settings or something- when I reset to default - then adjusted dif/ brakes then save itblitterally would want to save as my Indy settings and at ZIA when I was at LeMans.
    Last edited by PervasiveFall8; 03-10-2017 at 01:09.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Racefancy View Post
    Cheers for this, my biggest issue with racing sims is not knowing the ride frequencies which is what's really required to do it properly. May I ask how you obtained the motion ratios for the cars in the game?
    Through careful study of the cars, either via CAD data, manuals/homologation documents, measuring existing samples or when no such concrete evidence was available through photoanalysis and research.

And speaking of motion ratios, I made a small booboo on the spreadsheet, I forgot to copy over the 1:1 heave motion ratios for cars with live rear axle construction, so the roll vs. heave rates on those will be off until I get that fixed. Hopefully I'll have time to do it tomorrow. Sorry for the mistake.
    The following user likes this Post: JohnSchoonsBeard