Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crowd-funding individual circuit licences for the more expensive ones? i.e. Suzuka

Kart Driver

Crowd-funding individual circuit licences for the more expensive ones? i.e. Suzuka

I read on here the main reason that the likes of the Suzuka circuit wasn't included in the pCARS 2 game was that it cost a bucket load to licence and SMS just weren't prepared to pay for it as the money could be better spent elsewhere. No brainer, totally understand. Why shell out for 1 track when you could potentially get 2 or 3 others for the same money.

Now, it's to my understanding that pCARS is where it is through crowd-funding but I was thinking what if the really expensive licences for circuits, like Suzuka, were also crowd-funded individually?
    Pinball Arcade does this for the movie licensed pinball tables which have high licence fees. They announce they want to pursue the licence to say "The Addams Family" table and then people who want to see it in the game back it until it reaches it's goal, gets the green light, gets added to the game, backers get table on release and everyone else gets to buy it as a regular DLC.

Granted I have literally no idea the amount of money required for a circuit licence for inclusion in a video game; I'm sure it's way more than a movie tie-in pinball table and obviously a lot less work to add into a game than a Grand Prix circuit would be in a race-sim. But does anyone think that this model would work for pCARS? Or with pCARS being crowd-funded in nature as it is, maybe too much to ask people to chip in a bit more again for one track?

Anyway, just a thought that came to mind with the recent chat about real vs fictional tracks and why Saikito is in the game over Suzuka etc. Thinking aloud basically.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Ajvanho, Alibi_GT, dault3883

Platform
    PC
    Might be better, if SMS wants to make the investment/risk, to sell it as DLC. Crowdfunding is a mess to set up and takes a lot of legal fees to prepare.
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

The following 2 users likes this Post: Ajvanho, senna94f1

Platform
    PC
    i think this idea has some merit if i recall Sebring was passed up for the same reason Suzuka was and i would love to see sebring would even be willing to fork up some money myself but it would depend on how much i would have to fork up after all i have to meet a monthly budget my self
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    Might be better, if SMS wants to make the investment/risk, to sell it as DLC. Crowdfunding is a mess to set up and takes a lot of legal fees to prepare.
    But that's the problem selling it as a DLC, it would be a risk.The good think with crowd funding is if you don't get the money you haven't lost anything. But I realise it might not be the easiest thing to do.

Personally if they are asking silly money for the license I would rather not give them anything and spend the money on 2 or 3 other tracks, but I guess if enough people want it.
    CPU: i7-8700K @ 4.9 GHz Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E RAM: 32GB DDR4 3000 MHz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Tower Storage: 500GB SSD, x2 2TB HDD Power Supply: Silverstone 1000W Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Black Monitor: HP 24" LP2475w Controllers: Logitech G27, Saitek X36, MFG Crosswinds

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dault3883 View Post
    i think this idea has some merit if i recall Sebring was passed up for the same reason Suzuka was and i would love to see sebring would even be willing to fork up some money myself but it would depend on how much i would have to fork up after all i have to meet a monthly budget my self
    No one but SMS knows the decisions behind licensing (not even WMD2 and SMS have never publicly commented in that space).
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: amazed

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    No one but SMS knows the decisions behind licensing (not even WMD2 and SMS have never publicly commented in that space).
    i said it had merit Mahjik not that it was fees-ably possible just that i thought it was a fair idea
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Make my dream come true and give me Isle of Man....
    Sorry for my bad English
    XBOX ONE X Thrustmaster TX with TM Leather 28 GT - Pedals T3PA - Shifter TH8A - Wheelstand Pro DELUXE V2
    The following 3 users likes this Post: amazed, Diablo944, Pisshead30

Platform
    PC
    if i recall Sebring was passed up for the same reason Suzuka
    i said it had merit Mahjik not that it was fees-ably possible just that i thought it was a fair idea
    I'm referring to that part of the comment, not whether or not the idea has merit. No one knows why we do or do not have certain tracks other than SMS.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    I'm referring to that part of the comment, not whether or not the idea has merit. No one know why we do or do not have certain tracks other than SMS.
    While I appreciate what you are saying... I was basing my assumption it was the fee as to the reason it was not included from this post by the Moderator Roger Prynne in the thread about fictional tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne
    I think Suzuka was actually the most expensive of all the tracks according to Ian and he was not willing to pay the extortionate prices.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by foolinjection View Post
    While I appreciate what you are saying... I was basing my assumption it was the fee as to the reason it was not included from this post by the Moderator Roger Prynne in the thread about fictional tracks.
    All we really know is that SMS couldn't negotiate the usage of the track. We have no idea if that was due to money or other requirements. No one has that insight other than SMS.

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips