Thread: Q: Racing Etiquette

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Q: Racing Etiquette

What do you guys feel is right racing etiquette?

Q: I was in a race, leader car, i saw mirror that the driver behind got a bit faster because of a misstake i did. i decided to drive before him on his lane to
    block his path. He couldnt release to breake and blaimed me because he was off course from the track. Imo i feel i am leader car i have the right to block a drivelane.
    Isnt it the driver behind who has to adjust to the driver infront? He then decided to revange crash me from something he thought was right.
    Did i do wrong by blocking? Revange is allways wrong the way he crashed me was no breaks. But yeah. Just want to do if its wrong to block someones lane if
    you are infront. I have experience from motocross competition in real life, me as driver allways had to adjust to the pace from the one infront and find a way to pass.,
    But in game it seems everybody feels virtual world considers different rules..

Platform
    PC
    There can be responsibility on both drivers. However, it would be hard to place fault without a video or pictures of the incident.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 2 users likes this Post: rich1e I, takaii

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Blocking is wrong. You can defend your position by switching once on each straight, but this has to be preemptivve and not reactive. As a rule of thumb: If the driver behind has to brake or avoid you, you are blocking and this is bad etiquette.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cpcdem, JessicaWalter, OperatorWay, Sascha F.

Platform
    XBOX1
    As the guy above me already said, you can defend by always taking the inside line für the next corner. You choose your line and have to stay there once you decided which line to take. The car behind has the responsibility to find a way to pass you in a safe way. Blocking is when you react to the actions of the car behind swerving continuously from one racing line to the other.
    Many faster guys think they have the right of way and the slower guys just have to get out of their way. They call defending blocking, have no patience and ram you off when they see their self declared right of way harmed. Good thing in PC2, in a ranked lobby they get their penalty by dropping safety rating. I think soon the wheat will be separated from the chaff.
    Last edited by rich1e I; 12-10-2017 at 00:08.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    As Mahjik says, its difficult to say without seeing it but if your mistake resulted in you losing speed and being considerably slower than the driver behind I would consider it to be a tad unsporting if you just pulled across infront of them. IRL it could also be dangerous.

As far as blocking goes I always use the once only rule and only if there is sufficient space between you and the car behind to ensure it doesn't result in contact. In addition to this pulling actoss someone in the braking zone can also be a bit iffy and result in an accident, particularly if you get infront and immediately slam your brakes on.... although maybe one could argue that the driver behind should anticipate this and react accordingly as soon as they see you moving over.

Platform
    PC
    The others said it quite well. When you defend your line, so to say change to the defending race line, you should make sure that he is not to close to your car. Means he has to have a chance to avoid a collision. Pulling in front of his car with a gap of half a meter while he is a lot faster not so nice. Defending is about altering your race line in a way that the driver behind you is forced to overtake you using a less fast racing line.

Also when the driver is next to you, you must leave space in a turn for him to drive. You're not allowed to stay on the racing line in this case sending him into the gravel. If he a bit further away, for example his lights are on your rear wheels, then you can try do drive a very tight apex, still leaving him some space. He then either risks contact, or he brakes because it's too risky for him.

And overtaking due to late braking in turns IF the guy in front of you is braking noticeable too early. Braking too late is also risky because if you lock your tires then you will wreck his side and send him off track- your fault.

And also when braking late for overtaking, you have to keep in mind that you need to be next to him when the turn starts. Then he needs to leave space for you. However if you are not next to him at the turn beginning, ease the throttle and let him drive the race line.

Generally always watch your mirrors. If someone is faster expect him to overtake, so be careful when turning. But also keep in mind that people in front of you might not realise you're overtaking yourself, so don't expect them to make room for you.

Overtaking needs some practice and communication, whereas the communication is not done by words, but by the drivers behaviour. And sometimes even pros have misunderstanding and crash...

Make sure to race online with people as much as you can. You will learn by practice and be able to overtake safer because you learn to judge when people are aware you're coming. You naturally learn and start to feel when slower people let you pass without a fight because they see you are much faster. And you will also lern to judge whether the driver ahead is aware of you or not...

And some general tips for safety:
    1. Learn your brake points because people will not expect you to brake waaaay to early
    2. If you tailgate a driver in front of you to put him under pressure, ease the throttle a bit before the braking point otherwise you will crash in his tail
    3. Watch his brake points and if you want to do late beaking, make sure to pull away from his tail before he brakes.
    4. Always expect the driver in front to make a mistake so be ready to avoid him if he spins...
    5. Watch your mirrors and be aware of who is in front, next to you and behind you all the time
    The following 2 users likes this Post: ctzn, rich1e I

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebdactyl View Post
    Blocking is wrong. You can defend your position by switching once on each straight, but this has to be preemptivve and not reactive. As a rule of thumb: If the driver behind has to brake or avoid you, you are blocking and this is bad etiquette.
    depends on what your racing if im racing against you at daytona or texas ovals in a stock car im going to block thats stock car racing totally different ediquite than road course or indy car racing. and before you say it i know its how stock car racing is as i work for a Nascar Driver. and no matter what any nascar driver tells you they are all guilty of blocking its just the way stock car racing is plain and simple
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    u ranks in real life XD
    The following user likes this Post: rich1e I

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by takaii View Post
    u ranks in real life XD
    Ha that was fun to watch. To OP though, yes commonly accepted is the 1 block rule. Although I see it in iracing, I don't see it often in PC2. Most of the blocking is reactive and usually results in the blocker getting spun so you would think they'd stop... but sometimes it does get the person trying to overtake so I guess they call that a victory I dunno. Honestly if I see someone behind me much faster I just let em by, what i've learned is that fighting for position can net you a even worse position if they're clearly faster as it slows you both down and lets the people behind them catch up even more.
    The following user likes this Post: takaii

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by takaii View Post
    u ranks in real life XD
    Yeah they were battling really hard in BTCC and swapping tons of paint xD
    The following user likes this Post: takaii