Thread: Track wetness rate related to time progression?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Track wetness rate related to time progression?

Say the track is nice and dry and it starts raining. Independent of how hard it rains, is the speed with which the track gets wet related to time progression? If time progression is set at 20x, will the track get wet 20x faster than normal? If it stops raining, will the track dry up 20x faster than it otherwise would? Is the drying line related to this?

Or will the track get wet and dry up on its own no matter what the time progression is?

WMD Member
    I believe weather progression is the controlling factor, not time progression.

Try light rain to a dry weather slot in real time at Spa with a by AI field on race day around early afternoon, the rain intensity and track dampness increases towards ~30mins and then subsides, with a dry line forming.

With just weather progression set to real time.
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by N0body Of The Goat View Post
    I believe weather progression is the controlling factor, not time progression.

Try light rain to a dry weather slot in real time at Spa with a by AI field on race day around early afternoon, the rain intensity and track dampness increases towards ~30mins and then subsides, with a dry line forming.

With just weather progression set to real time.
    What if you use Real Weather?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Real weather is in 1 hour slots. So if you choose wet weather for the first slot and dry weather for the second, you'll have to drive a 2 hour race to see the transition. The track will dry in real time, though. Track drying is determined by the weather progression setting. So if you have it set to 10x, the weather passes 10x faster and the track dries 10x faster as well (except for standing water, that seems to dry a lot slower). Which can result in some odd weather transition effects like in the video below:

WMD Member
    Not played with real weather today.

But iirc, you need to set the date to the race date in 2016 to get pcars2 to emulate the actual weather of the real race, within the confines of the weather slot options in the game.
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUplink View Post
    Real weather is in 1 hour slots. So if you choose wet weather for the first slot and dry weather for the second, you'll have to drive a 2 hour race to see the transition.
    I think this is incorrect. I've used Real Weather online and offline, and it can be dry, and rain, and stop raining, within half an hour. Weather progression option is disabled. If I had to guess, I'd say it sets the weather progression to match session length automatically - but this is just a guess.

I've also noticed the track gets dramatically wet very quickly, within a single lap. But I've mostly been playing with x10, x15 and x20 time progression - which leads to my suspicion that these options are related.
    Last edited by Javaniceday; 12-10-2017 at 20:07.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    This isn't true. I've used Real Weather online and offline, and it can be dry, and rain, and stop raining, within half an hour. Weather progression option is disabled. If I had to guess, I'd say it sets the weather progression to match session length automatically - but this is just a guess.

I've also noticed the track gets dramatically wet very quickly, within a single lap. But I've mostly been playing with x10, x15 and x20 time progression - which leads to my suspicion that these options are related.
    I didn't mention weather progression of time progression while writing about the Real Weather feature

If the real race had wet and dry periods, this feature should emulate that in pcars2.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    ack, sorry, I was referring to what PeteUplink said. My apologies

Platform
    PC
    I did some tests some days ago because I've been curious, too.

Date progression: Influences the progression of daytime, thus also effects how the sun warms up the track and air temperature. It also multiplies the speed of how long it takes for the sun to warm up the track or to cool down after sunset, as well as shadows from obstacles on the track.

Weather progression: Accelerates the change of weather slots, with it also how quick the track gets moist and dries up. 30x weather progression also means the track gets entirely wet and full of puddles 30x faster as real time.

My opinion: Date progression is fine as it works. Because if you accelerate by 60 times, the sun goes down, the track should cool down quicker as in real time. Otherwise you will still have the track warm and grippy as if there still was noon.

Weather progression is NOT perfect the way it is. Mostly weather progression speed is used to determine how long a specific weather condition lasts. E. g. you want a 10 minutes race to start with light rain but to end overcast. So you accelerate it by 12-15 times or sync it to the race. But the problem is that the track dries 12-15 times faster. The only possibility to have a track drying or getting wet in realistic speed is to set weather progression to real time. Which means you have to drive veeeery long races (Over 1 hours at least) in order to have weather changes AND realistic track dynamics based on weather and time progression. Or you speed up the weather, but therefor the track gets flooded with puddles within 20 seconds, even when selecting light rain for 2 minutes...

Edit: Having rain for 5 minutes can happen and is realistic. Or a race start when it is about to stop raining but didn't entirely stop yet. You would be able to have a nice and long race of 20 minutes with a sloooowly drying track, leaving every driver to choose whether to stick with rain tyres or change to slicks, whether to leave the faster drying racing line to overtake, or whether rather to stay on the grippier, already dries up racing line. So it would be absolutey amazing if we can have this in future updates --> speeding up weather conditions / being able to determine the weather condition timespan while still being able to choose that the track dries up or gets wet in a realistic speed...
    Last edited by Marlborofranz; 12-10-2017 at 21:34.