Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula X and engine damage

Platform
    PC

Formula X and engine damage

Is there a "safe" engine setup for races for the FX that makes the engine damage comparable to other cars ?

I've found that reducing the turbo boost to 25% makes the damage sustainable for ~30mins stints provided the engine gets repaired at every pitstop but this just feels wrong.
    Shifting at 11000-11500 RPMs (4th or 5th LED on the dashboard) seems to help while also making me faster.
    Lowering the oil temp (even though I'm already always below 100C) didn't seem to do anything, which I expected but still wanted to try "just in case".

Maybe I'm just doing something horribly wrong when driving the FX but since it is the only car I'm encountering this issue with I'd rather assume it comes down to the setup.

On another note, whoever designed this car should probably hold a meeting with the FIA to show them how to actually make F1 interesting again. Easily the best car I've ever driven in a sim.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Casey Ringley, hotak, Jussi Karjalainen

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the report. Yeah the engine lifetime model for this one is just a bit too aggressive overall with respect to rpm and boost pressure. A little tweak is in order and I'll get that done now. That said, yes, you'll be faster shifting around 11,500rpm with this one; keeps it at that peak power plateau better than if you run up to the 12k limit.

Glad you're liking it. We had a lot of fun drawing this one up. Low(er) downforce and big power is a recipe that just works (see IndyCar from 1988-1998, for example).
    Haste Is Slow
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Rodders, Speedyx56

Platform
    PC
    In that case I'll disable damage for the races while waiting for a patch. I don't have a habit of rubbing shoulders with others when driving an open-wheel car anyway.

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    I think you need to disable mechanical faults for the engine damage from overrevving to be disabled. Damage is more related to crashes etc.
    The following user likes this Post: Speedyx56

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    Thanks for the report. Yeah the engine lifetime model for this one is just a bit too aggressive overall with respect to rpm and boost pressure. A little tweak is in order and I'll get that done now. That said, yes, you'll be faster shifting around 11,500rpm with this one; keeps it at that peak power plateau better than if you run up to the 12k limit.

Glad you're liking it. We had a lot of fun drawing this one up. Low(er) downforce and big power is a recipe that just works (see IndyCar from 1988-1998, for example).
    Hi!

Any chance you could have a look at the GT86 GT4? That one also suffers from a susceptible engine. It's already underpowered, so without 100%... well it already can't keep up....

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Yes we caught that one earlier this week. Something in the setup code seems to have broken for that car and it isn't reading the radiator opening range correctly, only giving the baseline 0% setting. That's obviously not a good thing! We've got a data workaround fix in for it (and the other GT86 variants) which change the radiator baseline to 100% so it gets plenty of cooling.
    Haste Is Slow
    The following 2 users likes this Post: ermo, honespc

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    Yes we caught that one earlier this week. Something in the setup code seems to have broken for that car and it isn't reading the radiator opening range correctly, only giving the baseline 0% setting. That's obviously not a good thing! We've got a data workaround fix in for it (and the other GT86 variants) which change the radiator baseline to 100% so it gets plenty of cooling.
    Look at the Enzo Ferrai then too please. Suffers from same problem, overheats to 100% even at full open radiatior settings and the engine bam!

Probably happens on more powerful road cars as well, so please check.

Platform
    PS4
    Speaking of Radiator openings and the % listed under what looks like could be the radiator icon dash during race. I notice the percent below the icon says "0%". I'd adjusted the radiator opening to, for example, "20%" during tuneup, but the figure I see below the icon in dash is 0%. Is that how it's supposed to be listed to reflect the adjusted figure or is that an indication of how cool or hot the radiator is? This is with Formula Rookie in Career as is the only Career category I've raced thus far.
    PS4. Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    I think I've tripped on to something related to engine overheating. Could have been already there before patch don't know for certain.

You have reload your setups not just when a session starts, but also everytime you return to boxes for then continue testing your car during practice and qualys. I've just seen that tyre wear persists from your previous stint on them when you leave boxes, and there's also the fact that sometimes the engine overheats completely if you don't reload setup again, regardless you have 100% open cooling hardware.

Have just noticed this stuff right now in a Porche GT3 only race (the lemans GT3 car variant) at the Nords. Aero and mechanical damage on both.

On a side note to the aforementioned. I don't notice an increase in top speed in for instance the Bentley GT 2015 when going very low on downforce. However on other cars yes the top speed gain in there, but in some cars is not.

As another extra, if you choose monitor other cars, then you can not drive during that session anymore. The Ready option becomes grayed out

Remember folks until this is fixed. Tyre wear and total (in %) engine damage (it will blow if you don't this) persist after the next time you leave boxes during the same session. Reload setup everytime you return to boxes to avoid this, not just when the session begins.

And by the way the new system of trying to go for the 32psi hot pressures on tyres have made the cars a dream come true to drive.

Please do not touch it under the risk of screwing how it currently is. It's feel very good currently. Just tone down shift protection a little.

Could you also bring louder road, tyre scratching and rain sounds (and when smashing into puddles) back for the next patch please?, that was awesome before the patch.
    Last edited by honespc; 14-10-2017 at 13:01.