Thread: Very poor default tunes on some cars

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Very poor default tunes on some cars

Why do some of the cars come with incredibly bad default tunes in the game? I was very frustrated with the Clio in the Clio cup at first as I could not keep it on the track (back end kept coming loose). I'm new to tuning so tried tire pressure, toe, camber, other basics but did not really help. I finally was watching a video on Pcars 2 by Viperconcept and saw on how almost all the cars he was talking about tunes for he had messed with the geared diff, something i had been afraid to touch before. Well, I messed with that (turned it on) and now the Clio is drivable to where I could even turn all the assists back off. I don't think tunes should be some ultimate tune by default but something that far off is just frustrating for those of us new to tuning. That car was so unstable it would scare the heck out of me in real life to drive a car like that.

Anyways, I'll attach my diff settings. I'm sure they are far from optimal but it made the car behave for me far better than before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171012_205307.jpg  

The following 2 users likes this Post: blinkngone, coggin66

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I did the same, with different values.... which also far from optimal, because I have no idea what is optimal

Platform
    XBOX1
    I haven't tried this car in pCars2 yet, but I remember my experience with it in pCars1 being identical to what you're describing. Couldn't tell if the setup was the issue or I just couldn't drive an FF car in anger (hint, it's the second one). As you said, the rear end constantly kept stepping out on me.

Thing is, couple weeks later I happened to catch a Clio cup race on tv and half the field were having the exact same issue. Took away two things based on what I saw in that race. One, SMS did a bang up job of replicating the car, and two, I felt better about my own terrible driving in the car.

GT5 Pilot Dynomight Motorsports's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Well this is true in GT3, You can jump in the Ferrari 488 and its nearly as fast if not faster at most tracks, where I've spent hours turning on the Audi R8 LMS, with just a default setup. The only reason someone would drive any other car in GT3 besides the Ferrari is Brand Loyalty. I tried to be loyal to the Merc, and was disappointed then I thought I could make the Audi fast..but in the end, I got slapped in the face by jumping in the Ferrari and running the same or faster lap times in default.
    Perhaps some people just like a challenge.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    RACEDEPARTMENT.com
    Largest SIM Racing Community Online / Competitive & Clean Drivers / XBOX Leagues Now
    Xbox1 GT World Endurance Challenge<<---Link!!!
    GamerTag: MichaeI Watts

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
    Why do some of the cars come with incredibly bad default tunes in the game? I was very frustrated with the Clio in the Clio cup at first as I could not keep it on the track (back end kept coming loose). I'm new to tuning so tried tire pressure, toe, camber, other basics but did not really help. I finally was watching a video on Pcars 2 by Viperconcept and saw on how almost all the cars he was talking about tunes for he had messed with the geared diff, something i had been afraid to touch before. Well, I messed with that (turned it on) and now the Clio is drivable to where I could even turn all the assists back off. I don't think tunes should be some ultimate tune by default but something that far off is just frustrating for those of us new to tuning. That car was so unstable it would scare the heck out of me in real life to drive a car like that.

Anyways, I'll attach my diff settings. I'm sure they are far from optimal but it made the car behave for me far better than before.
    I guess all that matters is that you are happy and successful with your LSD, congratulations. However if you are using both Geared and Clutch LSD you could also try turning the ramps off(90) in the Clutch LSD.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynomight Motorsports View Post
    Well this is true in GT3, You can jump in the Ferrari 488 and its nearly as fast if not faster at most tracks, where I've spent hours turning on the Audi R8 LMS, with just a default setup. The only reason someone would drive any other car in GT3 besides the Ferrari is Brand Loyalty. I tried to be loyal to the Merc, and was disappointed then I thought I could make the Audi fast..but in the end, I got slapped in the face by jumping in the Ferrari and running the same or faster lap times in default.
    Perhaps some people just like a challenge.
    Yes, some people do like a challenge. BTW the Audi tends to need more front camber than default at some tracks. For instance at Silverstone National with just .2 more camber it is faster than any tuned Ferrari(me ATM).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2017-10-13 14-52-11-75.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	242689

Name:	pCARS2 2017-10-13 14-37-01-27.jpg 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	242688
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Here is the main danger though with the bad default tune on the Clio (accurate with real life or not). It's the first series you might start with (likely) and someone new to the game might instantly say "forget this, this is impossible" as indeed it pretty much is with the default tune and then forget the game entirely. I'm fine with the challenge of having to tune to get better performance/drivability but only within reason I think as otherwise you run the risk of just turning people off completely. Oh well, at least I know a little more now and plan to go read up some more to better understand what I'm doing.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: blinkngone, coggin66, Maskmagog

GT5 Pilot Dynomight Motorsports's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Yes, some people do like a challenge. BTW the Audi tends to need more front camber than default at some tracks. For instance at Silverstone National with just .2 more camber it is faster than any tuned Ferrari(me ATM).

Name:	pCARS2 2017-10-13 14-52-11-75.jpg 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	242689

Name:	pCARS2 2017-10-13 14-37-01-27.jpg 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	242688
    Hmmm and I was thinking Default Camber levels were too high on all the cars. the tire temps are indicative of that when I'm using telemetry HUD. But I guess for Speed run's and TT its probably a good way to add front grip.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    RACEDEPARTMENT.com
    Largest SIM Racing Community Online / Competitive & Clean Drivers / XBOX Leagues Now
    Xbox1 GT World Endurance Challenge<<---Link!!!
    GamerTag: MichaeI Watts

Platform
    PC
    Yes Dynomite, there are many complaints about the Audi, so what can you do? Give up or do something that can stop it from plowing without digging into the dampers. I don't understand the new tires yet but all cars run the same tires and the Audi has the front end issues. The tire temps are mostly dropping during the few laps of a TT like you said.

Oh, Dynomite, I went back and checked the Ferarri, same problem as the Audi added -.2 front camber dropped 4 tenths. It's now the fastest GT3 at the moment.

Name:	pCARS2 2017-10-13 20-32-56-49.jpg 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	242730
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pCARS2 2017-10-13 20-48-47-16.jpg  

Last edited by blinkngone; 14-10-2017 at 01:14.