Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad textures on car stickers, headlighths & tailighths

Platform
    PC

Bad textures on car stickers, headlighths & tailighths

Didn't came across such thread here ,what makes me wonder tough,

but can someone explain me this... I mean, although all settings max'd out and on a 1920x1080 resolution they look awful...

...and not to mention the headlights and taillights of some cars - mostly the rally cars but other few also.... they look like they are from 1999 year racing games.

Platform
    PC
    I mean... if everything looks so good, crisp and sharp, why so low res stickers....and those headlight...gosh...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171014030607_1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	242731

Name:	20171014031139_1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	242732

Name:	20171014030913_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	242733

Platform
    PC
    There's a limit on the size of the textures due to lack of compression of some DirectX components (or something like this IIRC), higher resolution textures would have resulted in twice the game size, thus the current game size.
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    There's a limit on the size of the textures due to lack of compression of some DirectX components (or something like this IIRC), higher resolution textures would have resulted in twice the game size, thus the current game size.
    Why don't all other games on have this limit? They have good textures and no problems with game size. I mean, it's really sad that a so good looking game have so awful car textures...
    The following 3 users likes this Post: BigDad, Dalhil, Greg Redd

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by AEIDOLONE View Post
    Why don't all other games on have this limit? They have good textures and no problems with game size. I mean, it's really sad that a so good looking game have so awful car textures...
    Agree, other sims dont have this issue!
    Last edited by BigDad; 25-10-2017 at 10:32.
    GPU: Galax GTX1080Ti EXOC / CPU: Intel i7 7700K@ 5.1GHz/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s/ Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200mhz C14/ PSU: CM V750/ Storage: 4TB WD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Philips BDM4065UC 40" 3840x2160p / GT Ultimate/ Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2/ Formula v2 - magnetic shifter Mod / CS Universal Hub - magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/Steam/2ndLastJedi

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    My theory is that they just decided to keep consistency to the recycled 1024pix liveries from PC1, even ambulances and firetrucks got 2048 liveries now which blows my mind. I donīt even know what motivated them to use such low res on the first place because even back then my gtx660 was handling full 16 car grids with 4k liveries in other games no problem. But now that the devs got some new cards to play with, they bloated lots of the tracks with too many and too big textures for stuff that you donīt even see in close distance, leaving the vram usage to quality ratio of the game as a total mess, even 2gb cards got left out in the cold because their solution to get the game to run smoothly on such cards was to leave texture tracks as they are and just slash the poor car liveries to ridiculous 256 pixels liveries for rival vehicles when an infinitely better solution would have been to cut in half 16 2048pix trackside textures, I mean who the hell needs 2048 shadow masks and normal maps for trackside stuff that you donīt even see while racing .

This is what I have to see in front of me all the time:

This is what shift 2 used to look on my 896mb card:

And gtr2 with 2048 liveries on my 256mb x850, smooth as butter it ran.-

Ps.- Damn this is one of those times where one really miss modding because we would have fixed it by now.
    Last edited by monchicles; 25-10-2017 at 05:10.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by monchicles View Post
    This is what I have to see in front of me all the time:

That's definitely ugly. Check your texture settings in Options/Performance. Mine looks WAAYYY BEtter than any of your examples
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

Platform
    PC
    ^ this looks like on medium settings...but it even on high in close stickers are pixelated, its true.
    Racing on: Lenovo Y720, i5-7300HQ, 16GB ram, GTX1060 6GB GDDR5, SSD 256GB + SATA 1TB + LG LED 34" UltraWide 2560x1080
    Wheel:T300RS + 599XX EVO Alcantara Edition + CSL Elite LC + TH8A + DSD P1
    The following 2 users likes this Post: AEIDOLONE, Dalhil

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah thatīs the texture setting 2gb cards are forced to use if you donīt want skipping for the reasons I explained before, it makes no sense to see those ugly things, still have 4k road textures, and waste 300 to 500mb of vram depending on the track. That might be the only 4k texture in there.

Ps.- Also the clouds look very low res, look at what 8mb could do on the dreamcast :P

Last edited by monchicles; 25-10-2017 at 07:28.
    The following user likes this Post: AEIDOLONE

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    That's definitely ugly. Check your texture settings in Options/Performance. Mine looks WAAYYY BEtter than any of your examples
    Mine at 4k Max settings looks like his examples .My car looks better but still really bad and the Ai looks terrible !
    GPU: Galax GTX1080Ti EXOC / CPU: Intel i7 7700K@ 5.1GHz/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s/ Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200mhz C14/ PSU: CM V750/ Storage: 4TB WD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Philips BDM4065UC 40" 3840x2160p / GT Ultimate/ Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2/ Formula v2 - magnetic shifter Mod / CS Universal Hub - magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/Steam/2ndLastJedi
    The following user likes this Post: AEIDOLONE