Thread: Major Handling Issues w/Open Wheel Cars

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Major Handling Issues w/Open Wheel Cars

Hi Guys,

New to this forum stuff. Need some help with setting out the Formula C and Renault 3.5 cars. Cannot seem to get them to corner, no matter what I do to Aero, suspension and tire pressures. I'm not sure if this a game fault or whether I'm the issue. If someone could please point me in the right position. I really enjoy the game GT races but it seems to be an issue with open wheel cars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Platform
    PC
    That's a hard question to answer because I found that i had to change just about everything to get something that passed a sanity check. I don't have a perfect understanding of everything that goes into these cars, but I used Jussi's suspension calculator to make a lot of coming up with this more straightforward. I think the stock setup isn't loose in the conventional sense, just that somehow the rear manages to end up with a weird amount of inertia.

I think the latest patch might have tamed its random snap oversteer a bit, but the default setups had some major issues. The default rear suspension is way too soft for a car with as much downforce as this car has, I went up to 65 for that, softened the front roll bars down to 60, and stiffened the rear slow bump to match the front (front slow bump was one of the rare values I didn't change).

Not having a heave spring means part of the damper's job is to handle aero loads, which seems to end up meaning your fast bump ends up becoming your slow bump part 2, fast dampening seems a bit more important to these cars than most others. I also bumped up (down?) the rebound transitions to -240 -270. I made thing springs a lot stiffer, so there's more risk of tire bounce.

Ya know I think the takeaway at this point is to learn Jussi's suspension calculator.

In a weird way it seems to end up that going faster seems to make the formula C easier to drive, and what I mean by that is that the Formula C doesn't like it when you're off both throttle and brake. Maintenance throttle and very gentle trail braking seems to be what to do if you overslow it.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Lowering preload on the diff is what made the Formula C work for me.
    PC: Windows 10, i7-4790k, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 1080Ti, BlasterX G5 USB, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Oculus Rift
    Simrig: Obutto oZone, Simvibe w/Buttkicker Gamer 2, ClubSport Wheel Base V2 (w/BMW rim), ClubSport V2 Pedals, ClubSport Shifter SQ 1.5, ClubSport Handbrake