Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Feedback gets very weak after one lap

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Force Feedback gets very weak after one lap

Hi Community!,

I am playing Project CARS 2 with my Thrustmaster T300RS right now and I am facing a severe problem. No matter what setting, my FFB nearly disappears after about one lap on the circuit. It gets very weak and it is hard to control the cars. Even if I use "raw" with gain and volume to 100 it is still super weak. After driving through the pit lane it is normal again for about half a lap, then it suddenly disappears again. Never had the problem with Project CARS 1 or any other racing game, in PCARS1 I could drive for hours without the FFB fading. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong setting wise?
    Help is much appreciated
    Regards.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    What car?
    It just sounds like your grip is falling off.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Is your T300 overheating?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It can be the T300 and not the game. When it gets hot, it automatically reduces the forces to help cooling. If you're using volume 100 + gain 100 then likely thats a very heavy steering feel and it's working very hard. And maybe its just too much for the T300. I found the same thing also with my T300 on any sim but usually only after several laps. I first experience it in PC1 when doing an endurance race.

There's a couple things you can do:
    - you can configure the T300 to have the fan running constantly. Personally, I found this helps a lot to keep the T300 cool and not heat up so quickly. Haven't had any issue since I did this. The default configuration of the T300 has the fan come on only after it heats up. Then, the fan struggles to cool it down. By having the fan run constantly it helps keep it cool from the start and it won't heat up so quickly. Note that this requires that you update the T300 firmware to V25, which you need to do with a PC (I don't think it's possible using just PS4). Thrustmaster link here http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00156.pdf with the copy/paste of the instructions below.
    - reduce gain/volume from the start. If you like arm breaking FFB, then likely your out-of-luck. But there are lots of posts here with FFB suggestions that seem to work well with lower gain/volume.

Hope it helps.

“Automatic” cooling mode:

• •
    When you are using the wheel in a game, the cooling fan starts up when the wheel has reached a certain temperature.
    (= after a few minutes of gameplay, depending on the strength of the Force Feedback effects used)
    When you’re done playing: due to the motor’s thermal inertia, the cooling fan continues to operate until the temperature drops below the fan’s startup level. Your wheel has been designed in this way in order to facilitate cooling, and to protect the motor.
    (= this may take from 5 to 45 minutes, depending on the temperature reached while using the wheel in a game)
    “Forced” cooling mode: (requires Firmware V25 or above)
    • In this mode, the cooling fan operates whenever the racing wheel is powered up, and stops only
    when the wheel's USB connector is no longer powered.
    This mode enables quicker cooling of the motor, and is particularly useful: - When playing with a very high Force Feedback setting
    - When playing in a high-temperature environment
    • The selected mode is automatically saved to the racing wheel's internal memory (i.e. you do not need to repeat this process after restarting the wheel).
    • You can switch from one mode to another at any given time (even during a game).
    - Simultaneously press the “ST*” and “MODE” buttons
    = The “Forced” mode becomes active (the LED flashes twice).
    - Simultaneously press the “ST*” and “MODE” buttons
    = The “Automatic” mode becomes active (the LED flashes once).
    * On PC, the “ST” button matches the wheel's “8” button.
    * On PS3TM, the “ST” button matches the wheel's “START” button.
    * On PS4TM, the “ST” button matches the wheel's “OPTION” button.
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Platform
    PC
    Or, lower the "volume" in-game...good FFB is not necessarily heavy. If it is you're probably clipping meaning the wheel is always using 100% force.

It's not good for any type of engine to run at 100% all the time.
    ---
    My feedback is always on default setup unless stated otherwise. Auto-Clutch is OFF
    Still hoping for Estoril one day

| CPU: i5 8600K@5GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (397.31) (OC: +70/+450) | Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-p
    | RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 GoodRam Iridium 2400Mhz | PSU: Corsair TX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Onboard Realtek ACL887 | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    [B]| Monitor:[/B] 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

| Wheel: CSWv2 + CSPv3(usb) + CSS SQv1.5 - (driver v310 - fw 455) | Damping: 100 | 900
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut | FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: 0 | Dri: OFF | For: 100 | Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100

| FFB: RAW|Gain: 100 | Volume: 50 | Tone: 50 | FX: 50 [B]

| Visual FX: Default except Interion Flare: Off
    | Performance - Aniso: 16x | MSAA: Medium | Vsync: Off | Grass: Low | Envmap/Reflections/Shadows: Low/medium/low | Car/Track: High | Blur: Off
    | E. Mirrors: Yes | Particles: High/High | SS: 1.2 | Sharpening Strength/Clamp: 0.6/0.045
    | Driving assists: ABS/TC, maybe - SC always OFF
    | CmdLine: -ffb600 -skipcrowds

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Hey guys,

thank you for answering.

First, my Thrustmaster has the forced cooling mode activated. My current FFB settings are:
    Informative
    Gain: 100
    Volume: 63
    Tone: 20
    FX: 65

In my opinion that is not too high but I still loose FFB but now only in some corners. A few hours ago I played for nearly two hours and had no problems at all, after turning the PS4 off and on again later the problem was there again and my lap times were over 4s slower!

When the problem occurs I still have enough grip, the tires (Soft Slicks) are only one lap old on 20 degrees celsius warm track. The tires are not worn at all, but they are already in the operating window (80 degrees celsius).

The problem occurs on every car!
    And no the T300 is not overheating, I have the forced cooling mode on and never had a problem in another racing game. The problem also vanishes if I restart the session but after one lap it is bad again.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I don't know what to say or suggest.
    I haven't experienced the same thing as you are descibing.

Are you drinking Beer while racing (like me....)......?
    The following user likes this Post: Kriig

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueValue View Post
    Hi Community!,

I am playing Project CARS 2 with my Thrustmaster T300RS right now and I am facing a severe problem. No matter what setting, my FFB nearly disappears after about one lap on the circuit. It gets very weak and it is hard to control the cars. Even if I use "raw" with gain and volume to 100 it is still super weak. After driving through the pit lane it is normal again for about half a lap, then it suddenly disappears again. Never had the problem with Project CARS 1 or any other racing game, in PCARS1 I could drive for hours without the FFB fading. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong setting wise?
    Help is much appreciated
    Regards.

sounds like your tires just getting on temperature.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Have you checked to see if wheel is clipping or not (the graph and bar chart in the full HUD shows you the clipping). With 100 gain and 63 volume I suspect it is - and it will get hot quickly if it is clipping and go into safe mode in terms of force feedback.
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueValue View Post
    Hey guys,

thank you for answering.

First, my Thrustmaster has the forced cooling mode activated. My current FFB settings are:
    Informative
    Gain: 100
    Volume: 63
    Tone: 20
    FX: 65

In my opinion that is not too high but I still loose FFB but now only in some corners. A few hours ago I played for nearly two hours and had no problems at all, after turning the PS4 off and on again later the problem was there again and my lap times were over 4s slower!

When the problem occurs I still have enough grip, the tires (Soft Slicks) are only one lap old on 20 degrees celsius warm track. The tires are not worn at all, but they are already in the operating window (80 degrees celsius).

The problem occurs on every car!
    And no the T300 is not overheating, I have the forced cooling mode on and never had a problem in another racing game. The problem also vanishes if I restart the session but after one lap it is bad again.
    This is a very very high ffb setting ! Try lowering it drastically, make a lot of laps to get used to a lower ffb, and slowly step by step tune it up. You can start i.e. INFO 50 30 50 20 witch is really a low ffb. Take time to "appreciate" what can be first like a lack of info, a dead wheel, who slowly take life as you get used to less stimulation.
    PS4 pro - T300RS - T3PA-Pro - TH8A shifter - Alfa Romeo 147 leather seat - Homemade cockpit - Happy Driver My PC1 FFB settings - PC2 settings INFO 75 33 60 30 (this is not my phone number)