Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GT5 Rain Question? Casey Ringley?

GT5 Pilot Dynomight Motorsports's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1

Question GT5 Rain Question? Casey Ringley?

So I admit I'm no Michael Schumacher in the rain, but I was running a career race in the GT5 at Silverstone National with some of UK's famous liquid sunshine. I qualified 16th and started in the back. Now the AI is infamously slow so within a 15 min session I had made it up to 4th in about 5 mins. The car was going great but after the 5 min mark the car just became Undrivable on that back stretch area where all the puddles are across the track. I noticed on my PCars Dash App my tires were 89'F but every time I would hit a pedal the FFB on my wheel jerked the car hard either direction and there was even less grip on the rear. The car was completely undrivable. Is there something I should know about rain setups or tires or GT5, or did I experience some kind of bug? Did the Tires just suddenly lose grip. I mean it was almost as if a switch was flipped and the car went to shite.
    Please enlighten me so I can learn.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    RACEDEPARTMENT.com
    Largest SIM Racing Community Online / Competitive & Clean Drivers / XBOX Leagues Now
    Xbox1 GT World Endurance Challenge<<---Link!!!
    GamerTag: MichaeI Watts

Platform
    PC
    In the career mode there's a Road B + Road C race on Silverstone National under the rain. With either the XJ220S or the McLaren F1, I can barely go straight. Barely. I don't know if it's realistic, though I've been really fast with my motorcycle under the typical Channel rain without issues outside of cornering.

Platform
    PC
    Puddles build up...hydroplaning
    i5-8600K || MSI Z370 Pro Carbon || 16GB DDR4 3000 || GTX 1080Ti || 240Gb SSD+1TB HDD || Xonar DG || Win10 64b || CSWv2+CSPv2 || Oculus Rift

GT5 Pilot Dynomight Motorsports's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chin View Post
    Puddles build up...hydroplaning
    Yeah I see the pooling on the track but there is no way to avoid it and the car is literally undriveable while the AI are whipping by unaffected. Even at low speed the car will not go straight, seems like a bug.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    RACEDEPARTMENT.com
    Largest SIM Racing Community Online / Competitive & Clean Drivers / XBOX Leagues Now
    Xbox1 GT World Endurance Challenge<<---Link!!!
    GamerTag: MichaeI Watts

WMD Member
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Did you had all weather (or rain) tires at the start of the race?
    I noticed that after 3-4 laps on hard tires (even under light rain), tires are generally cooling down and cars become hard to drive.
    You need to pit at the good time (or restart the race with correct tires).

Platform
    PC
    I think he refers to the general issue that seem to appear with puddles. Generally I am always using rain tyres and for some car classes puddles and rain are not really a huge deal. You can feel grip in turns being a bit less when going over puddles, but you're not directly hydroplaning. While with other cars, going with 80 km/h over a straight, neither accelerating nor deccelerating, nor turning, the car wants to spin at every puddle. Even with rain tyres. This also happens to cars with rather soft suspensions/lots of ride height, e. g. the KTM or Caterham. I never ever experienced a real life situation where with my road car I had to go slower than 100 km/h due to rain to avoid hydroplaning. If I had to drastically slow down, then because of the vision because you were not able to see more than 20 meters in front of you.

Now I know that public roads are built to have some camber (at least in germany), means that in between the two driving lanes there is the highest point of the road, so the water can flow off to each side so there are no huge puddles appearing. But even on older, very bad and bumpy roads where puddles are appearing already after some light rain, they're not too much of a deal.

Some cars just feels like you're water skiing even at 50 km/h. Especially annoying in the pit lane. On some tracks huge puddles will appear in the pit lane, almost flooding the entire pit lane with one giant puddle. When pitting using some of the cars, I enter the pit lane at 30 km/h and still hydroplane, hit the wall because the car ignores all my steering inputs. There is someting off here.

And also the problem is that while in the real world, if it rains light for days, still no huge puddles will appear because water can flow off the road faster than new water will drop from the sky. So even after days of light rain you don't have puddles every square meter. But in project cars it seems that when there is light rain long enough, you will still get puddles on the track as if there have been a massive thunderstorm for over an hour.

Puddles and rain behavior definitely needs some tweaking...
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davidt33, tommysalami

Platform
    PC
    As I stated, this particular Silverstone event summarize the whole problem. It's like they had one big issue with puddles and decided to make an event with it ! I recently drove under rain with GT3's, standard rain behavior with rain tires, no problem. Maybe it is related with street tires ? Wait, Ginetta both have slick and rain tires, don't they ?

Platform
    PC
    good question... might be the time to run a few tests. :P

Platform
    PC
    I've tried thunder weather under Silverstone National. Both XJ220 and Ginetta GT5.

The puddle issue might have been fixed because I don't have this problem. The car goes straight and if I drive on a puddle, I can counter-steer and it works just fine. And on the main straight, there's like two or three puddles so it's entirely manageable.

The Ginetta has all-weather type of tires. Which may means "street tires". On multiple tracks under bad weather, I've not encountered undriveable behavior from the car. I think the game just selected slick tires under rain condition. You might want to disable the automatic selection.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    in career, the gt5 race at silverstone starts you on the wrong tyres, so when the rain starts to pool it becomes undriveable. manually select tyre choice instead of 'auto by weather'.