Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The official, unofficial Nordschleife mega-thread

Platform
    PC

Cool The official, unofficial Nordschleife mega-thread

I have been playing racing games almost my entire life. From Pole Position as a baby, Rad Racer, Nigel Mansells F1, Gran Turismo, F1 97, and Need for Speed. You name it, I probably tried it. Once I moved on to PC Gaming I discovered a game called TOCA Race Driver 3 by Codemasters. For me that game was my first dip into playing the genre people (dis)like to refer to as Simcade. I stuck with that for awhile before Grid Autosport came out. I enjoyed that for quite awhile, until a friend of mine who is an avid simracer kept messing with me saying things like "you aren't as good as you think you are" and "that game is easy". I brushed it off like yea whatever.

About a year ago, I saw Project Cars 1 for sale on steam for about $30 USD with all of the DLC. I browsed through the car and track list thinking to myself, hey this looks pretty damn cool. As I was scrolling through all of the tracks something stuck out to me. It was Nordschleife. I was always fascinated by the track because outside of racing games I am a huge autosport and car nut. I had never actually driven either in a game or in life itself. As an American making a weekend trip to the ring is out of the question, unlike for you Euros. I was sold on the game right then and there. I whipped out the old debit card and made my purchase. An hour or so later the game and the ring were ready for me. I was ready for it, or so I thought.

I fired the bad boy up on ye olde PC and immediately went to the time trial. I selected Nordschleife. But what car was I going to use? The choice was obvious for me. We've probably all seen the video of the dude slinging a RUF Yellowbird (we miss you, please come back to us baby) in a pair of jeans, no gloves and some sandals. I figured I can do that, no problem. Boy was I wrong.

Having never played Project Cars or any other racing sim, I was determined to set a decent time in this car on Nordschleife. That was one of the hardest, most frustrating, but adrenaline filled experiencing I ever had in a virtual sense. I probably spun out, wrecked, or crashed into every single wall or corner on the track all in one sitting. It didn't help the race director in PCars1 on the Ring was so strict that all it took was pretty much 1 tire and the grass and you were DQ'd. After about 5 straight hours of attempt after attempt I finally did it. The last straight was so nerve racking, I was shaking because I was finally going to make it. My time was an 8:38 something. I didn't know if that was good or bad. I didn't care either because I did it.

All I did in Project Cars 1 was time trial on the ring. In the end I damn near set a time with every car in the game on it. Some decent, some not so much. I was just happy to be able to drive this amazing track in an awesome game. I play a lot of PCars 2 now, and don't drive Nordschleife as much as I used to. I have moved on to doing online races, learning about setups and all of that nerdy stuff. The ring is still my "home" though. The new laser scanned version is even more amazing than the first one.

So thank you Mr. Bell and the SMS team for giving me the ability to ruin over a billion dollars in machinery on this awesome legendary track. Even now after all this time I still pull my hair out over some of the corners and destroy cars I could never dream of driving. But I love every second of it. What about you guys/gals? What are you experiences with Green Hell? Share your stories, funny moments, videos, whatever with me and the rest of us rats.

Here is probably the most stressful but enjoyable laps I ever completed on Nordschleife. It's the Ford Falcon FG on the Ring in PCars 1. I even had an off right before Youtube corner but the race director gods let me slide. Oh and by the way I play with a controller.... I'll have a wheel one day.

Thanks for reading my NOT blog, lol.
    Last edited by BubbaGrace; 06-11-2017 at 20:03.
    The following 10 users likes this Post: Atak Kat, Bigger Than Dave, BrainsBush, BullWinkle, FxUK, hkraft300, HockeyNick30, Ian Bell, McKiernan

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGrace View Post
    As an American making a weekend trip to the ring is out of the question, unlike for you Euros. I was sold on the game right then and there. I whipped out the old debit card and made my purchase. An hour or so later the game and the ring were ready for me. I was ready for it, or so I thought.
    All I did in Project Cars 1 was time trial on the ring.

I will happily admit, Project Cars 1 enticed me and a friend to make a road trip to the ring... being from the UK it didn't take that long to drive their and it was an amazing experience.
    We both paid for one of those 'experience packages' and got driven around for a few laps by Michael Vergers in a Radical SR3.. absolutely amazing
    Edit: As it happened, on the first lap we had a run in with a ferrari, a slight side scrape, nothing to worry about, but that certainly got the adrenaline pumping.

I wasn't confident enough, at the time, to take my own car around... and couldn't really afford it if something went wrong.

Up until then, all we did was time trials on Nordschleife too, each lap trying to best each other. Whilst its still my favorite and most driven track (even in PC2) I do enjoy the variety available, my list of fav tracks is growing

So, a thank you to Ian Bell and the team from me too.. if it wasn't for Project Cars, I would likely have never bothered.
    It was PC that made me fall in love with the ring.
    Last edited by FxUK; 06-11-2017 at 20:22.
    RWB Racing International

Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec Podium DD2 & CSv3 pedals CS Shifter, Rift S / 4K XB321HK / Triple XB271HU 1440p screens. i9 9900k, 32gb Ram, 2080ti, Samsung m2 ssd, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, Throne Thumper, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe, Rseat S1
    The following user likes this Post: BubbaGrace

Platform
    PC
    More posts like these please. I love the Green Hell, not been there for reals yet, but going to the 24hour is on the bucket list for sure
    "The more I practice, the luckier I get"
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Ashleyqprw12, BubbaGrace, WvAllwheelDrive

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Has to be done guys! A superb place for any enthusiast! I have avoided it so far in PC2 as I'm trying to enjoy the games many options! On other games I quickly get trapped hot lapping the Nordschleife, does anyone here watch the VLN race series? Something I'm really looking forward to recreating on PC2. 911 GT3's lapping Cayman GT4's lapping Clios superb!

Platform
    PC
    Love Nordschleife, its really hard to drive and absolutely 0 forgiving BUT its alot of fun simply because the track has a bit of everything in it!

Only real track I have been to in real life, having gone around it a few times. Couldnt really afford it at the time but some day I need to get that experience package to have a pro drive me around it

Having it laser scanned in PC2 is a great addition and for anyone that havent tried it yet all I can say is, do it now! lol
    PC: Windows 7 Pro, 4790K@4400, 16Gb Ram, MSI 980 Gaming G4, Dell S2716DG G-Sync
    Wheel: T300rs Alcantara Edition, Custom Jack Spade Alt Mid 100-70-30-25 Pedals: Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3 with Brake Performance Kit Rig: Playseat Challenge

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    i agree guys, the nordschleife ist just an amazing track. if not the most crazy track on the world - so to say.
    but one thing: nordschleife in PC1 was so much better looking then in PC2.

or am i the only one who hates the trees...

but anyway - love the schleife...love PC2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzit View Post
    Love Nordschleife, its really hard to drive and absolutely 0 forgiving BUT its alot of fun simply because the track has a bit of everything in it!

Only real track I have been to in real life, having gone around it a few times. Couldnt really afford it at the time but some day I need to get that experience package to have a pro drive me around it

Having it laser scanned in PC2 is a great addition and for anyone that havent tried it yet all I can say is, do it now! lol
    The experience package was worth it, for me at least. No way I would be driving round their like he did. It felt awesome flying past almost every other car on the track, although a few cars (Porsche mainly) did put up a fight, for a short while, which made the experience even better. If I remember correctly, Michael Verger at the time held the (or one of the) lap records on the ring (not sure how it works in that respect) even though it was in an SR8 and he drove me in an SR3, It felt like he didn't hold back.

When driving it myself in Project Cars 2 (not racing as such) but in VR, in the SR3, with multi-class opponents (mainly slower ones), boy does it feel good...
    I just wish I could fill the track with ALL cars at once, just to get an even better touristenfahrten experience
    Last edited by FxUK; 06-11-2017 at 21:48.
    RWB Racing International

Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec Podium DD2 & CSv3 pedals CS Shifter, Rift S / 4K XB321HK / Triple XB271HU 1440p screens. i9 9900k, 32gb Ram, 2080ti, Samsung m2 ssd, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, Throne Thumper, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe, Rseat S1
    The following user likes this Post: drizzit

Platform
    PC
    I haven't driven that car yet on any track. But if it drives similar to the The Radical RX then I can imagine. The RX is awesome to make a run with. I just did one earlier today for the first time actually.

EDIT: No double post. I just did a couple ring laps with the Camaro ZL1 as well. I finally understand what they mean by flinging a car around the track. I loved that car before, but after really "getting it", I LOVE IT.
    Last edited by BubbaGrace; 07-11-2017 at 01:50.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    My current in game guilty pleasure is the nordscheilfe+GP combined. (allows me to pit)

Mostly just driving it for the fun of it in the caterham seven.

Often I set time and weather to current to. But it is a lot better to drive on a warm summer's day than the sleets of late autumn.
    Once I set the time to an early morning, well 9am. Weather was clear now but I had been on the night before and it was raining then.

At first I figured "nice clear weather" I quickly realised that might be the case in the dry well lit sections.
    But in the shaded parts of the track it was still cold and wet from the night before, so ended up having to drive very carefully.

Seriously having weather simulated to this degree blew my mind.
    Sure there might be some bugs in this game but to me. The good far outweigh the bad.
    And a lot of it is world class.
    Main rig: Asus ROG - strix z370, i7 8700k, MSI 1080ti gaming x, 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
    Logitech g533 headset. 32" ultrawide - Oculus Rift CV1.
    Wheel: G29
    Flight controls: Virpil t50 mongoose - TH Warthog throttle - CH pro throttle - MFG Crosswind.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    You can tell the Nordchleife is now laser scanned, it feels superior to the version in the original in every way.

The list of travks, for me, is THE best thing about PCARS 2. It's damn cool. Pretty much every track I've ever wanted, in glorious detail.