Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspected Bug - Altitude impact on Horsepower

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco Ferrari View Post
    Kudos for the data collecting so far.

You can check the same figures at Mount Panorama: with an elevation of 650m, or about 2100ft, its about exactly 3 times the Indianapolis elevation.
    If the power loss is linear with the altitude, you should get 3 times the power loss of Indy.

EDIT: Anyway, you should keep in mind that in your measurements the ambient temp at Indy was 15°F lower than the one at Daytona. Lower temp means lower pressure, even at the same altitude.
    Density altitude affects combustion, not ambient air pressure. Altitude, temperature, and humidity all have a direct correlation with density altitude (and an inverse correlation with air density/oxygen available for combustion). The lower temperature at Indy should have taken the edge off the power loss experienced by increased elevation, which makes the results more surprising.

@F1,

Have you taken any data regarding fuel burned in your testing? As less oxygen is available for combustion, the engine should burn less fuel. If no noticeable improvement to fuel economy is produced, there is no reasonable tradeoff for the power loss.
    The following user likes this Post: F1_Racer68

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    As far as I know they are bringing in automatic restriction of turbo cars at altitude to remove the advantage they get at altitude compared to normally aspirated ones. I actually have a spreadsheet on my wall with the elavation of all tracks in the game so I know when I can use an NA car and not be gimped lol.

The Ferrari observations are interesting as it's already accused of being OP compared to the other GT3 cars. This might form part of the reason!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    As far as I know they are bringing in automatic restriction of turbo cars at altitude to remove the advantage they get at altitude compared to normally aspirated ones. I actually have a spreadsheet on my wall with the elavation of all tracks in the game so I know when I can use an NA car and not be gimped lol.

The Ferrari observations are interesting as it's already accused of being OP compared to the other GT3 cars. This might form part of the reason!
    An automatic (game adjusted) BoP on the turbos at altitude would be ideal. Less work for me

I think the Ferrari situation is two fold.

1.) The obvious power advantage at altitude.

2.) The default setup is bang on the money. That car is very good right out of the box. The Ford GT GTE is also very good on default setup, but the 488 is just that little bit better.

I do find it interesting that both the 488 GTE and the 488 GT3 actually GAINED a bit of torque at the higher altitude, whereas the other turbo cars all stayed the same or lost a little bit.

I am still trying to find time to clean up my GT3 and LMP2 data before I post it here, but it does support the GTE data and is consistent with it. It does support the theory that the in game "math" is the same across the classes. I hope to post it later today.

@Phos4us - No, I haven't looked at the other impacts or factors such as fuel consumption yet but hope to in the near future. Race week is a bad week for trying to find any extra time
    Last edited by F1_Racer68; 15-11-2017 at 13:24.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - ADATA 12GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Might need to double check your Ferrari data, I'm seeing a 3HP loss at Indy compared to Daytona for both the GT3 and GTE which puts them in line with the losses of the other turbo cars you mention.

Platform
    PC
    OK, so it's taken a while, but here are the GT3 and LMP2 test results as well. All tests were conducted under the exact same conditions as the GTE test in the OP

Results show the same pattern as the GTE test as well.

GT3
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT3 Test.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	245324

LMP2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LMP2 Test.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	245325

All 3 classes (LMP2, GTE, GT3) show a drop of approximately 0 - 1.5% HP for turbo cars, and approximately 7 - 8% for Normally Aspirated cars for an altitude increase of 706ft.

I have no issue at all with the numbers for the turbo cars, but the NA cars seem to be losing double the power that I think they should based on my understanding of the math (but my knowledge is limited to my own informal learning).

Next step will be to see how doubling the altitude change impacts the numbers. That test will take a while (won't get to it until next).
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - ADATA 12GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3
    The following 3 users likes this Post: ermo, Fight-Test, ironik