Motor City Tunes - Project Cars 2 Garage

Welcome to Motor City Tunes - Project Cars 2 Garage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11888561_695883050543576_4352163982343431964_o.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	244947

Tuning Guides and Projects
    - Radical SR8-RX Project http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1420817
    - Handling Problem Solving TBD (putting it all together) http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1420823
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 24-09-2020 at 02:29.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 17-11-2017 at 04:18.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: davidt33, enots45, Smudger

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Radical SR8-RX Project

I have always wondered if the differences between the in-game tunes (stable & loose) would be useful indicators for the settings that matter most for handling changes in the game. With this project, I analyzedthe differences between the tune settings, then drove each and will describe the differences that I saw in handling at corner entry, mid-corner and exit. The differences for this car are interesting - often counter to real world conventions - and producing a very different driving car - one that I like and one that I absolutely hate.

Below are the differences in the tunes. If a setting is not listed here, it is because the setting is exactly the same between the two tunes. I have also added comments next to the difference - these are my thoughts before I drove either tune.

Setting Stable Loose Comments
    Brake Pressure 88% 95% Should be less forgiving, but doubt this will change cornering at all
    Brake Balance 61/39 55/45 Expecting stable tune to lock front wheels, but doubt this will change cornering
    Front Downforce 0.00 1.00 Expecting more front grip - surprised that they did not change rear downforce?
    Front Caster 5.5 5.3 Seems counter to loose, expecting less aggressive corner entry
    Front Camber -3.0 -3.5 Thinking that more camber will negatively affect inside/middle/out tire temps and reduce grip - want to test this
    Front Springs 78n/mm 81 Harder front springs should be less steering?
    Rear Camber -2.5 -2.0 Same as with the front, seems counter to a more loose setting, should have better tire temps and more rear grip - need to test camber
    Rear Ride Height 85mm 90 Expecting more rear rotation
    Rear Springs 98 n/mm 110 Expecting more rear rotation
    Steering Ratio 15.1:1 11.6:1 Should have to turn the wheel less distance, but not expecting this to affect handling - just my ability to be more precise
    Front Toe -0.1 -0.2 Should produce more turn in
    Front ARB 103 110 Seems counter to loose, expecting less front steering, and not sure why they left the rear ARB the same, should have made that one higher
    Rear Toe +0.2 +0.3 Another counter to real world logic, should add more rear grip
    F Slow Reb 6950 6200 Faster front rebound should provide more rear grip on exit, not more loose
    F Fast Bound 3000 1500 Most significant change in the tune, should give an aggressive entry speed and turn in
    F Fast Rebound 4800 3800 Faster front rebound should provide more rear grip on exit, not more loose
    Bump/Reb Trans 675/-675 475/-475 Quicker damper transition should make the car more aggressive on entry and exit
    R Slow Bump 4400 4600 Expecting less rear grip mid-corner
    Rebound Trans -675 -775 Another curious setting, would expect more rear grip, not less
    Engine Braking 3 5 Seems counter to a more loose tune, 5 should be more stable at corner entry?

Differential is a mystery. Each tune shows that both gear and clutch differentials are turned on. The settings are different between the tunes so will show both here, but wouldn't one work over the other. Would like to come back and test this by turning one off at a time to see if I can recognize if one overrides the other or if they really do work together. Not really sure how you can have two different styles of diffs on a car?

Gear Diff
    Power 1.5:1 1.8:1 Seems counter to making a looser tune, this should lock more and provide less rotation/more rear grip on exit
    Coast 3.2:1 2.8:1 This setting makes sense, more aggressive under braking, coasting and turn in

Clutch LSD
    Pre-Load 80 40 Softer LSD, more rotation
    Clutch # 6 2 Fewer plates, less powerful diff, more rotation
    Ramp and Coast are the same for both tunes at 90 for each. This would be a very open and aggressive diff. Would have expected differences between the tunes.

Overall, about half of the setting differences between the two tunes follow real world logic but the other half are curious. Either, the curious areas are places to explore to find those magical, hidden in-game settings that did not get programmed like real world or it means that the Stable and Loose settings did not actually get much thought from the game developers. Many changes are even counter to their in-game description, so I think the latter is true.

Driving the Stable Tune:
    I love this car!!! It is really fun to drive, but has a few bad habits that can be tuned.
    Major front brake locking, as expected. Terrible setting. If you drag the brakes deeper into the corner, you can get it to turn in and be really aggressive on corner exit.
    Slight push on entry, beyond the brake related entry issues.
    Slight oversteer on exit, but manageable with a good mid-corner car position. Be smooth and you can be really hard on the gas on corner exit.
    Very fun car to drive and can work around the issues.

Driving the Loose Tune:
    This tune ruined the car. I hate driving it now. I can run almost the same lap time, but it is so loose on exit that it is ridiculous to drive. I spun out 50 times in this car.
    Brakes much better.
    Turn in much better - can be more aggressive on corner entry and gaining a ton of time from braking zone through mid-corner.
    Exit is now stupid loose. This became a game of pitch and catch. Carry too much speed past mid-corner and you'll spin. Having to be so careful on exit killed the lap times. I never want to drive this tune again.

What's next?
    I am going to put the stable tune back on the car and test from there. I'll start with the differences between the tunes and see if I can improve different sections of the corners without destroying others.
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 24-09-2020 at 03:23.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Optimizing Tire Pressure
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 12-11-2017 at 05:12.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Optimizing Brakes
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 12-11-2017 at 05:13.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Optimizing Camber

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Springs and Dampers

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Differential Tuning
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 12-11-2017 at 05:14.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Handling Problem Solving (putting it all together)

Name:	Cornering Force Effect on Tires and Shocks full corner pic.png.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	244968
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 12-11-2017 at 05:15.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: OperatorWay, poirqc, Thomas Sikora

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Ginetta G40 Junior - Oulton Park Fosters

Name:	Gineta Jr.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	244948

This car behaves very badly from mid-corner to exit. It is a bit tail happy from just before the apex, all the way to the track out point. Project Cars does allow us to tune, but the physics model is so good that you simply cannot game the system and tune out all of a car's bad behavior. Even with an optimized tune the Ginetta G40 Junior needs extra driving attention on corner exit. I drove this car for 150 miles while tuning today and finally feel like she's a contender. Also, I did a symmetrical setup, only because I tuned all day and didn't notice that I could uncheck that box. I would have adjusted camber for each tire.

Driving tip: Go ahead and be aggressive under braking and corner exit, but think about turning the wheel back toward center a little as you pass the corner apex. Be ready to catch her if you early apexed and tried to grab more wheel on exit. You've got to hit your marks at the apex or it's not going to go well.

Track: Oulton Park Fosters

Wheel: Tuned with ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 and ClubSport Pedals V3 with damper and performance kit

Tires/Brakes/Chassis

Name:	Gineta G40 Jr Chassis - Oulton.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	244954

Suspension

Name:	Gineta G40 Jr Suspension - Oulton.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	244955

Dampers

Name:	Gineta G40 Jr Chassis.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	244953

ECU/Engine/Gearing
    12L Fuel
    75% Radiator Opening
    5 Engine Braking

ECU
    25% Traction Control
    80% ABS Strength

Gearing
    Final Drive 3.917
    1st Gear 2.000
    2nd Gear 1.533
    3rd Gear 1.235
    4th Gear 1.050
    5th Gear 0.920
    6th Gear 0.833

Differential
    Clutch LSD On
    40 Nm Preload
    2 Clutches
    25 deg Power Ramp
    40 deg Coast Ramp
    All other LSD settings off
    Last edited by Motor City Hamilton; 12-11-2017 at 04:23.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: blowfishrulez, Demon340, Papifix