Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple implementation of structured online racing

Platform
    PC
    Hey Oliver your suggestions sounds like a simple way of creating some semi-centralised structure in PCars 2.
    And you are correct that if this structure was an integrated part of pCars 2 then we would not need to install some 3rd party race management tool.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoB View Post
    Hey Oliver your suggestions sounds like a simple way of creating some semi-centralised structure in PCars 2.
    And you are correct that if this structure was an integrated part of pCars 2 then we would not need to install some 3rd party race management tool.
    Exactly, it would be like the iracing server structure "outsourced" to the users.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I like to have both. I have done around 200 of those semi random online races so far and maybe 70% of them have been an absolute blast, fast and fair driving, 10-15 minutes of continuous adrenaline rush (not sure I would handle it if it was 60 mins )! The rest 30% have been from mediocre to pure disaster, either due to idiots, either due to bugs, but in general I think the current online system works nicely and with some bugfixes and improvements in the UI, it will be a lot better. Having said that, many times I also miss something more structured as the OP described it, this would give a whole new dimension to online racing, but I'd like to have that optionally, as an additional racing "mode". So I am really, REALLY looking forward to seeing what the guys here will be able to come up with (and I will be nagging them with millions of suggestions ) once the dedicated server issues are fixed, but in the meantime I'm glad I can also enjoy races any moment I feel like it.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: bradleyland, Luke Townsend, Shooter80

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I think you're on to something, but I think you've taken it too far with the idea of restricting all public hosts. I can tell you that from my perspective, if SMS were to do this, I'd be livid. It is, in effect, taking something away from me after I've purchased a product. If I want to throw up a server to race Road F cars in the snow around Oulton Park at 3:12 PM, who are you to say I can't do that? That's utterly ridiculous!

When Assetto Corsa came out on consoles, there were no custom lobbies. The only option anyone had was the Kunos configured servers, which were configured with "sensible" race parameters not unlike what you have outlined. There were servers of various types, with different classes of cars, circuit configurations, and length of race. Kunos rotated the selection so there was a variety from week-to-week and month-to-month. Online activity was sparse, but you could always find a server to have an actual race in.

Guess what the #1 requested feature over on their forums was? That's right, custom lobbies. There was massive public outcry over the fact that people couldn't create their own server configuration.

Kunos rolled out custom lobbies, and now you have a lot of the same exact thing we see in pCARS 2. More than half the lobbies suffer from these problems

- Strange configuration that either never results in a race (8 hour practice session, wtf?)
    - Is full of people "drag racing" down the back straight
    - Is configured as a "cruise" or "chill" server where no one has any intention of racing
    - Includes cars that are so mismatched, no one wants to race them anyway
    - Uses racing regulations that make racing miserable (zero tires allowed OOB)

AC has custom lobbies, but arguably the quality of online racing has gone down, so what should be done?

IMO, a good middle ground is to have both. What you've described is similar how racing sanctioning body works. For example, if you want to host a SCCA Solo event, you can't rent out VIR in the dead of winter and require everyone to drive 25 laps on summer tires. The SCCA regulations don't allow it. Racers know that when they show up to a sanctioned SCCA Solo event, certain parameters will be upheld.

In pCARS 2, SMS could establish a set of "sanctioned" presets that restrict race configuration to some "sensible" race configurations on a timeline, just as you've suggested. These servers can be listed in their own list, so that people who are serious about racing can find them easily. Anyone who chooses to configure a server that is outside these sanctioned parameters can still do so, but they go in a separate list of public servers.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE – Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3 | BasherBoards CPX Adapter v2
    The following 2 users likes this Post: g33k hack3rs, rich1e I

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boris_s. View Post
    My Company is programming actually exactly a service like this. We just wait for bug free Dedicated Servers, then we can move on. =) We will definitely start it.
    Were the DS fixed in a way you can continue your work?
    « Project CARS on discord [uncensored version] »
    « High Definition Racing » « professional engineering for winners! PM for driving instructions or setup work »
    « PC specs » « Intel i5 4690K »« 8GB RAM »« Asus GTX 1060 Dual OC (6GB) »« Windows 10 64bit »« Logitech Driving Force GT / Hama Keyboard / RAZER Onza Tournament Edition Gamepad »
    The following user likes this Post: Luke Townsend

Platform
    XBOX1
    I absolutely agree with bradley. I also often join a lobby and I think "God why only 5 laps?", not only that, I basically disagree with hundreds of lobby settings. The good thing is, I'm not forced to join any lobby plus I can set my own lobby up. Freedom is good, I like freedom.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Ott View Post
    Were the DS fixed in a way you can continue your work?
    No, pretty much all of the issues are still there. I don't think even one of the issues got fixed in the latest patch, but the good news is that the devs (Elmo / Pablo Medina) are now onto them and are working on fixes.
    Motherboard: ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero Processor: Intel i7-7700K Memory: 16GB 3333MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix DirectCU II 4GB OS: Win10 x64 Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD Controllers: Logitech G29, Fanatec V3i Pedals, Fanatec CS Handbrake v1.5 Other: HTC Vive, RS Dash, Voiceattack, OVRdrop

WWW.SIMRACINGSYSTEM.COM

We just need to be able to direct connect to a server
    PC Specs: i7 4770K @ 4.2Ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | 16GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM 2133 Mhz| Geforce GTX1080 | Sound Blaster Z | DELL UltraSharp U3415W + HTC Vive | Samsung SSD Pro 500Gb + Kingston SSD 256Gb | Logitech Z-906 5.1 | Win10 | rSeat RS1 + CSV 2.5 + CSV3 Pedals
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Luke Townsend, Pezby

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Surprising they have not run official SMS servers. They were the backbone of the games of old, GTR2, GTL etc that there were servers running by the publishers, devs etc.
    i5 2500K @4.4Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z, GTX980 overclocked, 8gig RAM, watercooled, triple screen (3x 1920x1200), T300RS wheel, G27 pedals

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Actually, the user experience on MP (not gameplay, graphics and so on ...) is for me one of the worst I've ever seen.
    Why didn't they think about implementing filter and search option more that class ?

That's absurd. But anyway, if they want to lose bunch of players not happy about their experience, that's their problem.