Thread: PC2 demo doesn't launch

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

PC2 demo doesn't launch

Hi,

With Steam, I downloaded and installed the PC2 demo on my new PC (specs below). But when I try to launch it, nothing happens. From what I've seen in the Steam forums, there seems to be many people in the same situation. I don't know what hardware these people have, but I have an i8700, a GTX 1070, 32GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a 4TB hard drive. So I should be able to run the demo, but the demo doesn't run.

That doesn't give me confidence about buying the game...

I verified the files integrity of the demo from Steam, and everything seems OK.

I sent an email to SlightlyMadStudios about it, but while I wait for an asnwer, if anybody knows how to solve that problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Plexus58 View Post
    Hi,

With Steam, I downloaded and installed the PC2 demo on my new PC (specs below). But when I try to launch it, nothing happens. From what I've seen in the Steam forums, there seems to be many people in the same situation. I don't know what hardware these people have, but I have an i8700, a GTX 1070, 32GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a 4TB hard drive. So I should be able to run the demo, but the demo doesn't run.

I sent an email to SlightlyMadStudios about it, but while I wait for an asnwer, if anybody knows how to solve that problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Really? I'm sure they will respond and fix this for you soon!

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PC
    Hi,

Thanks
    This forum is your best bet on getting it running. What antivirus are you running? What controller are you using? Which nVidia driver version? What applications are you running in the background? Do you have .NET and Visual C++ installed?
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box
    Texture Res HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON | AA MSAA Medium | Reflections HIGH | EnvMap HIGH | Vehicle ULTRA | Track ULTRA | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur OFF | Particle Quality HIGH | Particle Density HIGH | Crepuscular Rays ON | Heat Haze OFF | Stretched Headlights ON | Detailed Grass OFF
    With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say. || Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.
    The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Problem solved!

Thanks everybody for your input, especially Remco Van Dijk: after I installed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017, the demo worked like a charm (even though it crashed once).

If anyone from SMS or Steam reads this, it might be a good idea to let everybody knows, everywhere where the demo can be downloaded from, that the C++ Redistributable is a requirement for it. A demo that doesn't even launch doesn't inspire confidence...

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks everybody for your input, especially Remco Van Dijk: after I installed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017, the demo worked like a charm (even though it crashed once).

If anyone from SMS or Steam reads this, it might be a good idea to let everybody knows, everywhere where the demo can be downloaded from, that the C++ Redistributable is a requirement for it. A demo that doesn't even launch doesn't inspire confidence...
    THANK YOU Plexus58 for solving this problem for the many of us with the same issue. Demo now works thanks to you. Hopefully your suggestion to SMS and Steam that C++ Redistributable is a required to get the demo to work is taken onboard asap as suggestions from the ordinary player are not always welcome. I'm sure this one will be. Thank you again.

Except it shouldn't need the 2017 version... 2012 and 2015 are required (unless something really weird is going on with the demo compared to other builds)

When you installed the demo it should have run the installers from the _CommonRedist folder where the demo is installed
    <Steam Install Folder>\SteamApps\common\<Project CARS 2 Demo>\_CommonRedist\
    (I'm not sure what the demo install folder is called..) But in there should be a vcredist folder and then folders for the required VC redistributable that should have been installed with the Demo

If there is no _CommonRedist folder that wouldn't be good..

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + Clubsport pedals + shifter set - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i3-4130T - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hi Mad AI,

I just checked in the local files for the demo on my system, and I don't see any "_CommonRedist" folder.

Platform
    PC
    Installed the demo with a 2nd steam account.
    I checked that and you're right. There is no "_CommonRedist" folder in my Demo Folder.

i made a zip out of my original pCARS2 folder. If you like, you can download it here pcars_CommonRedist.zip
    about 139MB
    System Shuttle SX79 | CPU i7 4930k @ 3.4 GHz | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1080 8GB OS Win 10 pro x64 V1703 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49" / ACER H6220BD projector
    Base Thrustmaster T500 | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, F1 | Pedals TM T3PA pro | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1
    Devil's Core Project Cars Team ( german language )
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/devilscorede/
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/
    STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/devils-core/

The following user likes this Post: Mad Al