Thread: Race Line Penalties / Track Limit

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    the new race penalties is very good

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Strict rules in time trial OK, but strict rules in races are fun killing.
    And can be particularly unfair when you have to avoid collisions or when you get pushed.
    The following 8 users likes this Post: hugopro4, Interchangeable, KANETAKER, menos, mister dog, Purg, rocho, StefB

Platform
    PC
    Here's my problem with the 50% rule. You know where your tires are and so in normal situations it's not that hard to keep 2 of them on the pavement. Raise your hand if you know exactly where the middle of the car is. I don't. Aside from that, show me one motorsport series in the world that uses that criterion for track limit violations.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    Aside from that, show me one motorsport series in the world that uses that criterion for track limit violations.
    This. And also one series that penalizes you that much (if at all) for getting slightly off track (or even fully off track sometimes) while you are cruising alone on the track, not even fighting with somebody...
    The following user likes this Post: Steph_EP

Platform
    PC
    Now i can post pictures.

It's normal to get a penalty for that ??

Quote Originally Posted by Steph_EP View Post
    Just two pictures for test (it's the same session and the same turn)

It isn't 50% out of the track here (Track : 24h Le Mans ; Curve before the Mulsanne turn)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171130185358_1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	246348

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171130185217_1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	246349
    The following 7 users likes this Post: dodge33cymru, Herege, hugopro4, julia-6, MerlinC, mister dog, some evil dude

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    I don't have a problem with the track limit penalty it's how it's implemented to get rid of it now, got a cut going up Eau Rouge and lifted all the way to nearly the next corner and still got a penalty, as said you have to nearly stop which causes grief for players behind.

It's gain half a second maybe and lose 10 seconds by the time you've got rid of the notification, it's way off balance.

Sometimes we are 3 or 4 cars wide and inevitably someone will run wide or tight to try and get ahead and now you get a cut, it's killing the close racing for us.

I would be all for penalties in qualy but off in race if we could do that.

This. After doing some thinking about it, I'd rather see a strikes system in place where, instead of slowing down, you're given a strike. After X strikes (an adjustable setting in the rules menu) you get a drive-through penalty. This would more closely mirror how it works in real life, it eliminates dangerous slow-downs from players trying not to get penalized, and it allows some leeway for drivers who are racing each other while not allowing rampant abuse.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you put the strikes on a timer, so that X strikes in a time period of Y nets you a drive through. So, for example, if you cut the track, the strike lasts for 5 laps/minutes after which it is removed. So if you have a player that is consistently cutting the track they'll get a penalty, but if they're only accidentally cutting due to a racing incident but otherwise keeping things clean the mark eventually comes off. This, in conjunction with the existing place gained rules would provide a pretty effective system.
    Last edited by 3800racingfool; 30-11-2017 at 22:55.
    Project Cars 2 is coming here! Okay enough with the silly signatures... I gotta find something better to put here.

Platform
    PC
    SMS really needs to change that "#@*ù§ 50% rule.
    There is NO WAY to judge how far you can go while attacking a corner.
    Two wheels on track all the time (kerbs included or not included does not matter) would be the way to go and easy to do/follow, in TT as well as in races: same rules.
    Sim-Lab P1 rig with integrated triple monitor brackets, Logitech Z906 5.1, OSW Simucube small Mige - BissC encoder / SSRG Custom wheel / Fanatec CSW shifter / Heusinkveld Ultimate pedals / Heusinkveld SQ shifter / ignitIONControls R1 button box. Creative 7.1 soundcard (x2) / 3 BENQ XL2720Z 144 Hz 27" PC: ASUS Pro Series - Intel i7 4790 (8x 4GHz) - Win10Pro - nVidia GTX 1080 ti - 16 GB ddr3 - SSD 256 GB / / RS Dash
    The following 8 users likes this Post: Ekay.jay, gelfie, hkraft300, KANETAKER, menos, MerlinC, mister dog, Steph_EP

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by 3800racingfool View Post
    This. After doing some thinking about it, I'd rather see a strikes system in place where, instead of slowing down, you're given a strike. After X strikes (an adjustable setting in the rules menu) you get a drive-through penalty. This would more closely mirror how it works in real life, it eliminates dangerous slow-downs from players trying not to get penalized, and it allows some leeway for drivers who are racing each other while not allowing rampant abuse.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you put the strikes on a timer, so that X strikes in a time period of Y nets you a drive through. So, for example, if you cut the track, the strike lasts for 5 laps/minutes after which it is removed. So if you have a player that is consistently cutting the track they'll get a penalty, but if they're only accidentally cutting due to a racing incident but otherwise keeping things clean the mark eventually comes off. This, in conjunction with the existing place gained rules would provide a pretty effective system.

Yes, but the problem remains the limits of the track where you take penalties. (Previous pictures)

In brief, before this update it was better for that a lot..

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The penalty system is so flawed we just run rules off for league races.
    Want to take part in some clean league racing? www.seetheair.com
    Steam ID: ant1897
    Discord: ant1897#7062
    seetheair.com on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SeeTheAir
    seetheair.com Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/mCTPfBg

Platform
    PC
    I'll not say there are no places you don't get a cut for only 2 wheels off the track but I will say that until you watch the replay you can't be sure. I had a race on spa the other night and would have sworn during it I didn't go more than 2 wheels off track when I got penalties but watching the replay I did indeed and deserved the penalties. So I can at least say the limits on Spa seem fair but I think the slow amount needs adjusted a few notches. At one point I slowed and slowed and slowed and it went on so long I decided to see what happened if I slowed to a stop. I stopped completely and the slowdown was still there. It went away when I moved a bit again.

The cutting also doesn't seem to take into account enough when you go off track but don't gain any time (through getting pushed off or a small spin takes you wide or similar) and often still gives a slowdown. I appreciate the programming for that is easier said than done. This aspect isn't so bad though if the size of the slowdowns drops back down again. From what I've seen the actual track limits are pretty good so far, a few a bit harsh, a few a bit lenient but overall the game is pretty good there, just don't make us suffer so much please when we breach them lol.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Ian Bell, pferreirag60, Rygel