Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Story of Project Cars

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X

The Story of Project Cars

I know a LOT of this but I am probably not the one to tell it, because I watched from afar, especially during the development of the first title.

But, I am interested to see what others who have been more hands on along the way have to say.

How did PC1 and 2 come to be? How did SMS become a thing? How does crowdfunding play in?

I think it is important to have this discussion. Since PC2 came out, people get concerned about bugs and whatnot... and they lose track of the very human connections that make Project CARS unique among games and many sims.

I may follow up with questions and some questions may be leading because of what I do know... but I think there are better people here to tell these stories than me.

There is a reason these games are called Project CARS, and I feel after release, the consumers lose track of the actual project behind it all. The mission that gives us these games. The Project behind these games is really cool. Let’s talk about it!

Aloha,
    WellRED
    The following 6 users likes this Post: attaGee, Fuzzy, hotak, IceShaft, MaxEndurance, schroda

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by WellRED Barron View Post
    I know a LOT of this but I am probably not the one to tell it, because I watched from afar, especially during the development of the first title.

But, I am interested to see what others who have been more hands on along the way have to say.

How did PC1 and 2 come to be? How did SMS become a thing? How does crowdfunding play in?

I think it is important to have this discussion. Since PC2 came out, people get concerned about bugs and whatnot... and they lose track of the very human connections that make Project CARS unique among games and many sims.

I may follow up with questions and some questions may be leading because of what I do know... but I think there are better people here to tell these stories than me.

There is a reason these games are called Project CARS, and I feel after release, the consumers lose track of the actual project behind it all. The mission that gives us these games. The Project behind these games is really cool. Let’s talk about it!

Aloha,
    WellRED
    It began here for me

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=249418

The first builds for PC1 came out in late 2011, we had a Leonus (Lotus) 49, an Ariel Atom-alike called the nuke, an LMP1 car and maybe the Formula B I think. We had the Bologna (Imola) track and one or two other things. I was hooked within five minutes, been here ever since.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Wow, that is huge what SMS accomplished since there. A simple Ian's idea which grew up like the product we have today.

My god, congratulation for this EXTRAORDINARY good race game. Thanks to the whole team of developers. I really enjoy Pcars 2 and will use and recommend it for several years.

Andre.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bmanic, Fuzzy

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Fascinating that 96% of Shift sales were equated to consoles. It would be interesting to know the breakdown for PC1 and PC2 sales to consoles and PC. Also interesting that Ian projected around 2 million sales for PC1. Pretty spot on prediction....

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    It began here for me

The first builds for PC1 came out in late 2011, we had a Leonus (Lotus) 49, an Ariel Atom-alike called the nuke, an LMP1 car and maybe the Formula B I think. We had the Bologna (Imola) track and one or two other things. I was hooked within five minutes, been here ever since.

Same here. Also came to it through shift and nogripracing, when suddenly, a wild Ian appeared and used "cunning plan". It was very effective.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cluck, GTsimms, John Hargreaves, PostBox981

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    It began here for me

WOW! Interesting read...i heard of the "i have a cunning plan" thing several times but never actually read it myself...i wasn't there from the beginning so seeing how pCARS was born is quite a treat...thanks John
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: ctzn, GTsimms, John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    WOW! Interesting read...i heard of the "i have a cunning plan" thing several times but never actually read it myself...i wasn't there from the beginning so seeing how pCARS was born is quite a treat...thanks John
    Hah, I even found some old posts of me.

@Konan, take a close look at the mod there, Redi. You might know him, if I'm not completely mistaken.

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cluck, GTsimms, Konan

Platform
    PC
    Very interesting read, thanks.

I'd also read that Ian had a second mortgage on his house to help finance Project Cars 1. That takes some guts...
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K--Graphic Card: GTX 1080 Ti-- RAM: 16GB DDR3 -- Motherboard: Asus Z97-A -- Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB + 250GB + Seagate 2TB -- PSU: XFX 650W TS SERIES Wheel: Thrustmaster TX -- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64 -- HTC Vive
    The following user likes this Post: Ian Bell

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws73 View Post
    Very interesting read, thanks.

I'd also read that Ian had a second mortgage on his house to help finance Project Cars 1. That takes some guts...
    I think at the end of the development, Ian even had to pay the devs from his own, private money if I didn't understand something wrong.

The following user likes this Post: Ian Bell

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    Hah, I even found some old posts of me.

@Konan, take a close look at the mod there, Redi. You might know him, if I'm not completely mistaken.
    Will do...I doubt if i will recognise anyone really (except obviously Ian) i figure most of them have changed their nick since then...?
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!