Thread: FL tire worn, heavy FFB on a straight line

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

FL tire worn, heavy FFB on a straight line

Hello all,

I was driving a race with accelerated tirewear and my FL tire was really worn out, like about 20% left. I noticed that the FFB started to kick in pretty nasty on the straight line and this effect was Gatting biggen after more tirewear. The car was feeling really bumpy at higher speeds. But in the corners i was not having any troubles except some understeer and overall reduced laptimes which should be expected. But i can not explain the straight line issues. I was driving a GT3 car with almost standard setup.

Maybe someone knows more about this?

Greetings,
    Bensko

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensko View Post
    Hello all,

I was driving a race with accelerated tirewear and my FL tire was really worn out, like about 20% left. I noticed that the FFB started to kick in pretty nasty on the straight line and this effect was Gatting biggen after more tirewear. The car was feeling really bumpy at higher speeds. But in the corners i was not having any troubles except some understeer and overall reduced laptimes which should be expected. But i can not explain the straight line issues. I was driving a GT3 car with almost standard setup.

Maybe someone knows more about this?

Greetings,
    Bensko
    Most likely flatspots on said tire.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I say flatspots too. That sounds exactly like what a flatspot does.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, i was thinking that too, but in the case of flatspots i would say that you notice that immediately after a flatspot is created. This seems to become gradually worse and only after heavy tirewear (starting at about 65% wear). I do see some ABS-activations but only small blips. I’ll decrease the breaking power and ABS-power and see what it does.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by Bensko; 04-12-2017 at 12:09.

Platform
    PC
    Puncture? I think they happen.
    CPU: i5 3570 @ 4.2GhZ | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHz | Board: Gigabyte Z77-DH3
    GP: GTX 960 4Gb
    SDD: Samsung Evo 850 512Gb

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by could_do_better View Post
    Puncture? I think they happen.
    Crossed my mind as well, but laptimes only became gradually worse. The engineer also didnt say anything about damage. I don’t know if the engineer does mention a puncture though.
    I would also expect suspension damage after a few laps with a puncture. I have a leaguerace this wednesday and it will probably happen again. I’ll post my video and time that it happens.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensko View Post
    Yeah, i was thinking that too, but in the case of flatspots i would say that you notice that immediately after a flatspot is created. This seems to become gradually worse and only after heavy tirewear (starting at about 65% wear). I do see some ABS-activations but only small blips. I’ll decrease the breaking power and ABS-power and see what it does.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Did you maybe at some point spin? Or even multiple times? Is there maybe a specific corner where the car skids over the front wheels every lap?

But I agree, that increasing the ABS value is the best step for starters.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    No spins, 1 trip through the gravel in stint 1, but the same problem occurred after new tires (also soft tires) at the end of the race.
    I was driving at Brno and turn 1 is a killer for the FL tire.

The car skidding over the front wheel may be a possibility. I havent thought of that. I am already at maximum front springrate, so i may need to add some bumpstops at the front wheels. (Or increase ride height. Unsure)
    Last edited by Bensko; 04-12-2017 at 14:29.

Platform
    PS4
    The vibration is from driving on the carcass. The tread is completely worn through at 50% on the hud. Leaving just the carcass.