Thread: Racecar windshields don't shatter.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1

Racecar windshields don't shatter.

Common knowledge dictates race cars are equipped with polycarbonate windshields, and have been for many many years. They are durable and flexible, allowing them to bend and distort in ways glass can't. That being said, why are race cars in the game equipped with glass windshields? A high speed collision within PC2 will yield a cracked and shattered screen. Unlike glass, polycarbonate won't shatter, it'll bend and perhaps even pop off completely, but it won't shatter. Only road going cars should suffer this fate in PC2. Was this intentionally done for a "wow" effect across the board or something that was overlooked?

That being said, patch 3.0 is a wonderful patch, thank you to everyone involved in your continued efforts to improve an already amazing experience.
    Last edited by Iconiqk; 07-12-2017 at 23:01.

Platform
    PC
    Artistic license.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    If race cars hit hard enough they do shatter windshields. But I agree pc2, too easy to shatter. Unless I'm hitting barriers harder then I realize.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconiqk View Post
    Common knowledge dictates race cars are equipped with polycarbonate windshields, and have been for many many years. They are durable and flexible, allowing them to bend and distort in ways glass can't. That being said, why are race cars in the game equipped with glass windshields? A high speed collision within PC2 will yield a cracked and shattered screen. Unlike glass, polycarbonate won't shatter, it'll bend and perhaps even pop off completely, but it won't shatter. Only road going cars should suffer this fate in PC2. Was this intentionally done for a "wow" effect across the board or something that was overlooked?

That being said, patch 3.0 is a wonderful patch, thank you to everyone involved in your continued efforts to improve an already amazing experience.
    Not over looked. The effect was created for Road cars way back in Madness Engines early days(Shift series), which the game still has. It's been held over through multiple iterations. There's simply not a separate code path to distinguish the difference for the windshield material. And yes SMS is aware of the difference. Have been for years. It's just not a priority.
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 | Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | Mem: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1866 | GPU: ASUS Dual OC GeForce GTX 1070 8GB(Drvr R398.11) | Snd: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Case: THERMALTAKE Level 10 GTS | PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Platinum 650W | Monitor: 40" VISIO D40u-D1 | O/S: Win10 Pro-64bit | Controller: Thrustmaster TX w/GTE & F1 Wheels

Twitter: @ARDallas68 - Steam: SternLX
    "If somebody said they enjoyed the Nürburgring, they weren't going fast enough." ~ Sir Jackie Stewart on the Green Hell
    I appreciate those enjoying my Custom Liveries... but, please don't send me livery requests in PM's. I don't do liveries on request. Sorry.
    The following user likes this Post: Sankyo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dallas View Post
    Not over looked. The effect was created for Road cars way back in Madness Engines early days(Shift series), which the game still has. It's been held over through multiple iterations. There's simply not a separate code path to distinguish the difference for the windshield material. And yes SMS is aware of the difference. Have been for years. It's just not a priority.
    It seems odd then that SMS, famed for their attention to detail, have included a fully functional lunar calendar in PC2 but not fixed the race windscreens. Not a complaint, just an observation :P

forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57595-Attention-to-detail-The-Moon
    The following user likes this Post: Invincible

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzcoatl View Post
    It seems odd then that SMS, famed for their attention to detail, have included a fully functional lunar calendar in PC2 but not fixed the race windscreens. Not a complaint, just an observation :P

forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57595-Attention-to-detail-The-Moon
    I think integrating a calendar is easier than making the physics system differentiate between varying materials and have a unique crash behaviour for each material.
    We currently have the same problem with carbon and steel materials on the cars body. Carbon does shatter, steel deforms.
    I think this will be something to tackle in the next iteration. But it could as well be too much to handle for the next one and moved onto Pcars 4 or such.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted SOLD / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzcoatl View Post
    Different people working on that, most probably.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think