Thread: Project Cars 2 and Fanatec Clubsport pedals - Throttle setting

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1

Project Cars 2 and Fanatec Clubsport pedals - Throttle setting

Just went from PC to PC2 on an Xbox One X. Seems to be a pretty big difference in how the respective titles interact with the Fanatec Clubsport 2.5 wheel and 3.0 pedals.

Where the throttle position in PC seemed to correspond well to RPM, I can hit redline at less than 30% travel in PC2. Tweaking throttle sensitivity in the Options panel has some effect, but not much.

It kinda reminds me of having a quick 1/4 turn throttle on a motorcycle in that you get high RPM buildup with relatively small movement, but with a quick throttle, you donít typically hit redline unless the throttle is wide open. With PC2, the last 60-70% of travel is kinda useless.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Platform
    PC
    It's how it's supposed to work, a linear relationship between throttle position and engine RPM is not how real engines work. Classic race sim linear throttle vs RPM = not realistic. It also didn't work like that in pC1, by the way.

It makes a big difference whether the engine is under load or not, and that is precisely why with no load on the eninge you reach max RPM at less than half of the throttle travel. If you'd hit max RPM only at ful throttle with no load on the engine, you'd have no power left to reach max RPM (and hence max car speed) with the engine under load.
    In real life I understand that electronics can turn this all upside-down, but the basic principle still holds

Or at least that's how I understood it.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Looks like I wasn’t entirely clear. I can hit redline in all gears at much less than 1/2 throttle. While I don’t expect to see a direct linear relationship between throttle position and RPM, there is always a relationship between throttle position and RPM otherwise all we would need is an on/off switch.

That is also one of the reasons why pedals are calibrated in the options menu. The sim needs to understand the pedal travel in order to apply relative fuel delivery at the various pedal positions.

As for PC and PC2 handling throttle response the same way, I can swap back and forth and see a dramatic difference between the two sims.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
    Looks like I wasn’t entirely clear. I can hit redline in all gears at much less than 1/2 throttle. While I don’t expect to see a direct linear relationship between throttle position and RPM, there is always a relationship between throttle position and RPM otherwise all we would need is an on/off switch.

That is also one of the reasons why pedals are calibrated in the options menu. The sim needs to understand the pedal travel in order to apply relative fuel delivery at the various pedal positions.

As for PC and PC2 handling throttle response the same way, I can swap back and forth and see a dramatic difference between the two sims.
    Okay, that sounds like a different story. Is that with all cars? Does the telemetry HUD show proper throttle response over the full throttle travel range i.e. the throttle input bar showing a 1:1 relation with throttle pedal travel?
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think