Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time and Weather Progression Planning Tool

Platform
    PC

Post Time and Weather Progression Planning Tool

Hi folks, since Project Cars 2 hit the shelves I've been working on a little tool for planning longer simulated race lengths with changing weather and it's now in a state that I'd like to release the first version of it.

With the tool you can set the start time, race length and the time progression, as well as up to 4 weather slots from Project Cars and the weather progression. The program then displays the simulated race length and weather changes within that time accordingly:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcars_time_weather_screenshot.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	241189

By the way, the idea was blatantly stolen from:
    http://pcars.grtn.de/weather/
    You can also get a few additional information on how the weather slots in PCars seem to work on the website. Note that the weather slots in my program are displayed with a length of one hour, rather than half an hour + half an hour transition.

Not all of the initially planned features were implemented, like the "sync to race" mode, simulated time presets and adding sessions for practice and qualifying. I cannot guarantee that these features will be implemented in the future, that depends on the feedback I get from you guys.

Update: Version 0.2

Known issues:
    • Small window sizes can get the UI to bug out, just don't make the window too small and you'll be fine.
    • At larger numbers for the simulated race time the display can get a bit unprecise, which I think is a bug due to mathematical rounding. But you should still be able to read the information displayed and since I made a bit of a mess of the code I don't know if I will ever fix it.
    • Whenever the simulated race time is under 1h, the labels for the weather slots are incorrectly positioned. The colored bars are correctly placed though, just follow them. Hopefully fixed in v0.2
    • I coded in Java, so the program is an executable .jar file which means you must have Java Runtime Environment installed on your System to run it. I'm not really sure what the best way to create a Java-independent Windows executable is. Any tips would be welcome.
    • Java has apparently no support for 4k resolutions, which results in the program window not scaling up. I created a 4k-workaround-version with all the font sizes doubled, so 4k users may at least be able to read the text properly. Checkboxes for the weather slots still don't scale, you have to be precise with your clicks. Note v0.2 with 4k workaround in Downloads

DOWNLOAD
    Regular Version: PCarsTimeWeather_v0.2.jar.zip
    4k-Workaround: PCarsTimeWeather_v0.2_4kWorkaround.jar.zip

I hope some of you guys find my little tool helpful, any feedback would be highly appreciated! And of course, feel free to report any further bugs and issues.
    Last edited by TheDorStor; 29-09-2017 at 13:34. Reason: updated to v0.2

Platform
    PC
    Nice one!
    I did something similar for PCARS 1 as Excel file but your solution looks much more elegant.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    I did something similar for PCARS 1 as Excel file
    Wow, I had no Idea you could do such things with excel. I've always heard that it's pretty powerful in the hands of someone who knows his way around it, but that's really cool!
    If I decide to keep working on my program I might steal some ideas from your spreadsheet if that's ok with you, like the race length calculation per lap time and number of laps, that's pretty neat.

EDIT: Just noticed another Bug: Whenever the simulated race time is under 1h, the labels for the weather slots are incorrectly positioned. Will be fixed soon™...
    Last edited by TheDorStor; 28-09-2017 at 21:38.
    AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz | 8 GB RAM | GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB | Samsung 850 Evo SSD | Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit | Logitech Driving Force GT - Project Cars 2 running on Low to Medium Settings @ 45-60 fps

Platform
    PC
    nice, but have a problem when using it on a 4k monitor. Fonts are so small and do not scale with window size.
    Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System MSI Mortar Titanium B450 | CPU Ryzen 5-3600x | RAM 32GB DDR4 | GPU RTX2080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1903 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1 / HP Reverb | Motion Next Level Motion V3
    Devil's Core - Drivers Club ( german language )
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/devilscoredriversclub/

Platform
    PC
    Version 0.2 out

@satco1066 Yeah, seems like Java programs won't be scaled correctly on higher resultions. I tried to create a workaround for 4k users by providing a version with upscaled font size. Though the checkboxes for the weather slots still don't scale up, unfortunately.
    Let me know if it works (or is at least usable), can't test it myself due to lack of 4k hardware.
    AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz | 8 GB RAM | GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB | Samsung 850 Evo SSD | Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit | Logitech Driving Force GT - Project Cars 2 running on Low to Medium Settings @ 45-60 fps

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDorStor View Post
    Version 0.2 out

@satco1066 Yeah, seems like Java programs won't be scaled correctly on higher resultions. I tried to create a workaround for 4k users by providing a version with upscaled font size. Though the checkboxes for the weather slots still don't scale up, unfortunately.
    Let me know if it works (or is at least usable), can't test it myself due to lack of 4k hardware.
    Yeah. Much better. Thanks from all 4k screen users
    here a screenshot. Left side is 4k workaround version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timeWtherprog.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	241345
    Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System MSI Mortar Titanium B450 | CPU Ryzen 5-3600x | RAM 32GB DDR4 | GPU RTX2080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1903 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series

Platform
    PC
    Great! how do you get it to work please.
    Core I7- 6700K - Nvidia GTX 1080 TI -Gigabyte Z170 HD3P Motherboard - 16gb memory - 2tb HD - Alienware 34" Gsync 144hz Monitor - Thrustmaster T300 GTE - T3PA pro pedals- TH8A Shifter - Corsair Void wireless headset- GT Omega wheelstand - steam - jimortality - Xbox 1 X - jimortality

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Just extract the pCarsTimeWeather_v0.2.jar somewhere, input what settings you want and it will show you the results.
    Simples
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Platform
    PC
    you must have Java installed. Right click the jar file and select open with, and then select "Java(TM) Platform SE Binary"

The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    ^ Ah yeah that does help of course.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you