Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: optimal oil temperature - radiator ?

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fight-Test View Post
    Marlboro said it perfect. 90-100 (110 is getting into danger zone) degrees is where you want your temps after the car has run 7 to 10 laps and warm. No magic settings as it depends on car, track and outside temp. I also think you can set parameters in crew chief for when he warns you. You will also notice the engine getting damaged in the little overlay that shows your body damage. You can try different temps and see how fast your acquire engine damage.
    Have to confess I'm a bit confused when y'all mention C. When you say "Marlboro said it perfect. 90-100 (110 is getting into danger zone)" is that C or Radiator Opening numbers....or is it one and the same? And if so, if 100 (assuming it's radiator opening number) is supposed to provide more cooling how come it is mentioned "(110 is getting into danger zone)".

Thanks for all your responses. At the end of the day this will be a very good learning experience for me.
    PS4. Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    From my personal experience, the danger zone is just above 130C. Still, in case you are racing online in a server with damage disabled, then you can completely ignore any warnings and let the engine burn without issues

For qualifying, you can always turn the radiator completely off and do one timed lap, you can get away with it before the engine overheats too much (in most cars at least). For a race it depends, you can certainly not have it completely colsed for more than 4-5 laps, the engine will blow (with damage enabled). I think you just need to make some tests and see how much you afford to close it.

But a general advice: It's a nice immersion thing trying to tweak radiator opening +/- 5%, but in practice it's not worth it IMO...you may get at most 1 tenth per lap by closing the radiator another 10%, which I don't think it's worth the risk of blowing the engine. But if you can put it to 0% or 10-20% and get away with it, then this can indeed give you a considerable time per lap, around half a second I would say. It's similar with fuel, there really is no point at all removing those 4-5 extra liters and risk getting out of fuel in the last lap..
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    Have to confess I'm a bit confused when y'all mention C. When you say "Marlboro said it perfect. 90-100 (110 is getting into danger zone)" is that C or Radiator Opening numbers....or is it one and the same? And if so, if 100 (assuming it's radiator opening number) is supposed to provide more cooling how come it is mentioned "(110 is getting into danger zone)".

Thanks for all your responses. At the end of the day this will be a very good learning experience for me.
    They're all talking about degrees C. There is no simple relation between how open your radiator is and temperature, as it depends on car, speed, load, environmental temperature, altitude, etc. You set your radiator opening in practice so you get it as closed as possible without going over the temperature threshold. It's trial and error.
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33