Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel processor flaw

Platform
    PC

Intel processor flaw

Hey all. Just an FYI. Any computer literate folks out there I'm sure can illuminate this issue into a context for us racing folk. Cheers

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3245...ts-pc-mac.html
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    The following user likes this Post: Daynja

Platform
    PC
    Server systems will be affected by upcoming fixes. There are some patches out now, but games seem to not be affected by this. This only affect Intel users, so AMD users are not affected at all.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    Server systems will be affected by upcoming fixes. There are some patches out now, but games seem to not be affected by this. This only affect Intel users, so AMD users are not affected at all.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...inux-4.15-Test

"For Now At Least AMD CPUs Are Also Reported As "Insecure""

Im keeping an eye on the Intel subreddit since I heard about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/
    Last edited by Daynja; 03-01-2018 at 18:49.
    RWB 3vil

http://www.rwb-racing.enjin.com/home

3 x 25" 2560 x 1080p @60Hz
    i5- 6600k, Gigabyte GA-Z170
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+,
    Corsair DDR4 PC4-17000 (2133) 8GB x 2
    Win 10
    Thrusthamster TX

Platform
    PC
    I can't remember where I saw it, but I read that because of AMD's difference in architecture, they are not affected by the security flaw. They are being reported as "insecure" because they are also x86 based. That's why I said AMD users are not affected, but unfortunately, everyone is going to be affected because of Intel's mistakes.

EDIT: I found it.

To be clear, the security research team identified three variants targeting speculative execution. The threat and the response to the three variants differ by microprocessor company, and AMD is not susceptible to all three variants. Due to differences in AMD's architecture, we believe there is a near zero risk to AMD processors at this time.
    AMD is also being asked to be excluded from the fixes because of this.
    Last edited by Azure Flare; 03-01-2018 at 22:49.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    This only affect Intel users, so AMD users are not affected at all.
    The way i heard it, the OS fixes will actually impact AMD processors as well.

Platform
    PC
    Just updated the drivers. Now I only still need to flash the bios. Not the most wanted job..
    Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11 GB | Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen: Samsung 55" 1920x1080 | Controller:Thrustmaster T150 Pro with brake mod & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Challenge, Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    The way i heard it, the OS fixes will actually impact AMD processors as well.
    I was talking about how the security flaw is an Intel problem, not an AMD problem. Unfortunately, AMD will be affected unless they can get the excluded from the fixes, like they're asking for.

Steam l PC specs

Platform
    PC
    Wow, I read stuff like this and immediately think of self driving cars and other automated processes and think, 10 years from now a headline that says “you’ve all been riding around in death chariots, patch coming next week”.
    i7 4.4GHz - 16Gigs - 1080 GTX - 3x Screens (5900x1080) & VR - CSW v2 - CSP v3

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawndarts View Post
    “you’ve all been riding around in death chariots”.

RWB 3vil

http://www.rwb-racing.enjin.com/home

3 x 25" 2560 x 1080p @60Hz
    i5- 6600k, Gigabyte GA-Z170
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+,
    Corsair DDR4 PC4-17000 (2133) 8GB x 2
    Win 10
    Thrusthamster TX
    The following 6 users likes this Post: Azure Flare, breyzipp, GTsimms, Invincible, Lawndarts, Mad Al

Platform
    PC
    I read yesterday that at least on Linux AMD will get excluded when the patches are ready. The patches should really only affect programs that heavily use kernel routines, not mostly usermode programs, like games. Linux will surely get a switch to not use the patches. I haven't read anything about Windows though.

Edit:
    "At least for Linux and Windows, these patches allow end-users to opt out if they would prefer. The most vulnerable users are probably cloud service providers; Meltdown and Spectre can both in principle be used to further attacks against hypervisors, making it easier for malicious user to break out of their virtual machines.

For typical desktop users, the risk is arguably less significant. While both Meltdown and Spectre can have value in expanding the scope of an existing flaw, neither one is sufficient on its own to, for example, break out of a Web browser"
    Last edited by Sampo; 04-01-2018 at 13:50.
    CPU Intel i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK | RAM 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | GPU nVidia GTX980 4GB (388.31) | Audio Realtek 5.1 on MB | Screen AOC U3477PQU | OS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    In-game settings: 2560x1080 / 3440x1440 | Texture Resolution HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON | AA None | Reflections MED | Envmap MED | Vehicle HIGH | World HIGH | Shadows MED | Motion Blur NO | Render Frames Ahead 1 | Particles MED/MED/MED
    The following user likes this Post: MrTulip