Thread: Is this control FFB "fix" possible?

Platform
    PC

Is this control FFB "fix" possible?

I've been ranting and raving here about losing control at what always seemed like the most inopportune times. Then it occurred to me that it may not be the program but the PC's idea of priorities? If it's working extra hard to display lots of cars and doing lots of math for the AI to kick my butt and I'm fighting madly to win, maybe the PC can't keep up and I lose the FFB "clamp" and can't recover... well at least until the smoke clears and priority comes back to my cars control?

If I'm not just wishful dreaming here, is there a way to prioritize the order of functions to the sim? I remember somewhere a way to prioritize programs when multitasking but don't think that would apply here. What I want is to have the USB link to the FFB 1st and foremost in order of importance. That way the graphics may clip, get choppy etc but the control wouldn't fade or just outright quit on me as it consistency does - always at the worst possible times.....
    Last edited by hardlock; 04-01-2018 at 04:25.

Platform
    PC
    What are the specs on your PC? CPU/GPU, memory installed, OS, etc. What graphic settings do you use?
    AsRock X370 Taichi MB /AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.4Ghz / G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 / Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Evo M.2
    Samsung 250GB 850 EVO (SSD) / 2 X SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX480 8GB/OC 1342Mhz / SeaSonic Focus 750W Gold / AMD Adrenalin 18.2.1 drivers / Acer XZ271U bmijpphzx 27” Curved WQHD 2560 x 1440p 144Hz monitor.
    Windows 10 64bit / TrackIR 5, ver 5.2 final drivers / Logitech G27

Platform
    PC
    In short, yes it is possible to lose fidelity if your PC cannot keep up. This is one of the reasons people believe FFB got better for them when they move from an overworked PC to a new build.

You also lose (graphic) frames and sound bits as well as other things you won't necessarily notice. Some things you may notice more than others. No, there is no way to prioritize what drops out if your PC cannot keep up with the processing.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BullWinkle View Post
    What are the specs on your PC? CPU/GPU, memory installed, OS, etc. What graphic settings do you use?
    I set up a signature with it all now.
    Last edited by hardlock; 04-01-2018 at 21:35.
    Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz | 8gb ram | AMD R7-350X w/4096 MB | Windows 7 pro 64-bit | Thrustmaster TMX

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for that Mahjik! Any recommendation on what would be the best upgrade then? Maybe more ram? I already have the AMD Radeon settings maxed out. That helped the frame rate. I notice there are different USB designations but don't know how to tell which is what so am trying swapping out to see if any help there.

I'm always behind the curve on hardware so not in a position to buy a new system or even an expensive graphics card. Would seem to be a better choice at that point to just get an Xbox one for less $?
    Last edited by hardlock; 04-01-2018 at 22:08.
    Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz | 8gb ram | AMD R7-350X w/4096 MB | Windows 7 pro 64-bit | Thrustmaster TMX

Platform
    PC

graphics settings

Are these settings any help? Found I was already using USB 3 ports and tried different ones with no difference. Not shown is the other Particle setting which is set also to Low. Normally I don't run windowed (used for screenshot) and don't really know what performance settings are best. Seems stable and except for real crowded and/or rainy conditions where it gets kinda choppy, offers a playable frame rate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS-graphics-settings.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	248455

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMD.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	248456

I'll post the overdrive setting as well if needed. Hope this helps as I really do love this program when working well. Thanks!
    Last edited by hardlock; 09-01-2018 at 03:06.

Platform
    PC
    No comment? I'm really struggling with this. Even with arm angle and traction control to 0 and with all background comp functions that could interrupt the data flow disabled it's no help. I get bumped and and all control lost until virtually completely stopped or reset. When it works correctly however, I can drift and recover in full control normally from all skids and spins but when it goes out, it's completely frustrating.

Any way to test the wheel by itself maybe? The win control panel "tests" of effects are pretty worthless and if the wheel is defective, I can still return it but time's short.

Guess I can turn off the FFB in the game to see if loss of control is FB related or control response being lost.

Maybe if I can record the wheel in use and with the tele overlay on the screen including programs cockpit wheel showing all to compare, would that give anyone a clue? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by hardlock; 12-01-2018 at 01:22.

Platform
    PC
    I honestly have no idea what problem you are trying to solve... Likely no one else does either which is why there isn't much response. However, most people have moved to PC2 so the amount of people helping in PC1 is quite low.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips