Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Downgrade

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Graphics Downgrade

The intro video is less milky white now than the previous version at launch but the colour palette still looks very washed out and bland. It's almost like there is this white translucent blanket hovering over my screen causing everything in the game to look dull and less vibrant. Whatever it is, its simply not working.. Is this white filter effect displaying as a result from the latest implementation of HDR or do the lighting levels need to be adjusted? The brightness and contrast default still needs more fine tuning. By contrast, Pc1 looks visually FAR superior and worked straight out of the box. What's with all this conflict and controversy about pc1 vs pc2? Why is there a feeling of hatred and negativity towards the first title when it was clearly an awesome game that sold way more copies? The first edition had its fair share of bugs in the physics and live track system as expected. In fact most of the hard work was introduced from this version as it laid out the foundation and paved the way for the sequels to come. But here is the thing, I don't see it as being inferior to the latest title. In fact the first entry is still arguably much better in many ways. Just import the updated physics settings, tweak the GUI, add the new vehicles, new maps, online spectator mode, add the snow effects into the first title and you are probably left with a better revised game than the current edition we have now. Aren't both these games created by SMS? Or was the ps4 version outsourced and created by another team? So why is there the apparent graphics downgrade? The car models and their proportions took a huge hit in pc2: cars in chase cam look like they were flattened, cars are stretched wider, round corners are lost and seem to be faceted, you can compare the same car models (GT3) in both versions and pay attention to the rear lights especially their geometric shape (e.g. Audi R8 LMS etc). There are YouTube videos showing these comparisons. The car modeling was reworked with far less polygons than ever before. Was it necessary that all the existing cars and tracks from Pc1 need to be completely remodeled?

Graphically as a whole, the game looks marginally better than before (at launch) but the previous pc1 still looks significantly better on the original ps4. Shadows tend to appear as weak flickering maps and the aliasing is visually disturbing and highly noticeable,...definitely the lighting model NEEDS to be reworked / tweaked to look more intense and dramatic. Can there be at least more high res track side detail and road textures added? Remove those project cars 2 banners, they are absolutely silly and look ridiculous. Next to GT Sport and Forza 6 or 7, its extremely underwhelming. GT Sport with no HDR enabled looks simply outstanding. GT is not running on a high end PC rig to look this good. Check out Forza vista mode to see how detailed their vehicles and interiors were crafted (engines etc). Make no mistake, the cars and maps look gorgeous on a REGULAR Xbox One. As limited as the xbox system was in memory and resources it was still able to render great quality graphics. Lets not fool ourselves: Forza 7 even has dynamic lighting and weather so no more excuses. You can learn plenty from your competitors and make the necessary adjustments and improvements because this game has serious potential. Please bear in mind GT Sport doesn't use the original ps4 capabilities as an excuse not to deliver in the graphics department. Dont blame and tell me that the original ps4 system cannot handle this level of quality. Basically the overall presentation in Pc2 looks dated and feels last gen, it literally resembles a title from the ps3 era. The quality of the visuals are not entirely horrible but definitely a huge step backwards from Pc1 for the ps4 version. Its so frustrating and disappointing to see so much effort and hard work poured into this title but falls completely lost in the visual department, something that most people will notice immediately on their big screen tv and this must not be avoided. It's time to fully support and take advantage of patches: to fully optimize and refine the ps4 version and to turn this game into the absolute BEST racing title on the market.

I understand that this may not have been your first priority but for a racing game it really adds significantly to the overall immersion of the game. Why did you think it took so long for GT to come out? PD invested some serious time and resources to remodel all their vehicles and tracks to make it the best possible looking title to date. The cars, the tracks, the GUI are all treated like a work of ART. They understand and wanted to capture the essence and beauty of the automobile and its fundamental relationship to the landscape. Oh and what about their physics? Truly not far off and shabby at all. So you think that graphics don't matter? Draw distances? Tread marks? Tight turns? Brake points? Driving as a simulation experience does not not just depend soley on car physics alone but relies heavily on a variety of VISUAL cues! Of course excellent graphics matter, they help prepare the driver for the obstacles that lie ahead. Don't take these comments negatively, go and load up Pc1 for yourself and compare: the game had clean, vivid and sharp graphics: it was not bad at all, can we at least not MATCH the graphical fidelity from the first game? At a bare minimum, Pc2 should MATCH or look BETTER as a successor and sequel to Pc1. By now, this topic must have been a huge concern raised by countless posts but this really needs some serious improvement. Can this be further improved with future patches? I think most people will agree its worth the extra effort to invest and include the graphical upgrades for this game BEFORE working on any DLC content. The core game for the ps4 specifically needs plenty of debugging and polishing. I emphasize that clearly the QUALITY CONTROL was sorely missing in this version and needs to be addressed immediately. As it stands it's definitely a decent game with an insane amount of features, an awesome day/night cycle, a great weather and damage system, excellent car physics, a superior spectator mode but has fallen short on its cosmetics and thereby not reaching its full potential yet. Long story short, its time to move on and please FIX THE LIGHTING EXPOSURE, COLOUR LEVELS, SHADOWS, ALIASING AND GRAPHICS PLEASE. Project Cars 2 for the original ps4 if refined visually can be an absolute masterpiece.

Anyways as a starting point, can SMS please continue to kindly fix the default contrast and saturation, especially for the original ps4 with non HDR capabilities. No point arguing anymore, just load up the first project cars and compare the two SMS titles on an original ps4 system.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mink; 06-01-2018 at 16:38.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: DervPM, Marlo, TheRaptorX

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    +1
    Same here

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    your glorified blu ray player can't cope with awesome physics and awesome graphics. it's like you think performance is delivered by the Hardware Fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by mink View Post
    Pc1 was not bad at all, can we at least not MATCH the graphical fidelity from the first game? At a bare minimum, Pc2 should MATCH or look BETTER as a successor and sequel to Pc1.
    i mean ignorance like this is amazing
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Agree 100 on all. Itīs just normal that people expect PC2 to look and sound better (or at least same) like PC1.
    Instead SMS added a lot of ambitious stuff in the game (like the 3D trees, a lot of physics [I donīt notice mostly] and more weather and light) which the PS4 (not even pro) doesnīt have enough power to handle. It should have stayed PC exclusive.
    I would rather have the old trees, less (donīt notice anyways) physics, better AA and more track details and eye candy over thatīs new.The annoying thing is that some tracks look fine. Some look bad. Some cars handle and feel (FFB) fine, other feel wrong and bad. On top a lot of bugs and problems in the start and it feels like nothing happens because the patches are coming slow. Iīd rather see weekly fixes and small patches that waiting for months and afterwards there is still a lot of issues. Like last time announced big changes in AA and 3 graphic settings. AA still not improved much and the 3 settings, Itried to find differences with visual enhanced or higher resolution. Didnīt find any...
    Last edited by FreefallRLC; 04-01-2018 at 11:41.
    The following user likes this Post: mink

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I think it looks amazing on my One X, and I can imagine it looks even better on the PC with a top end card.
    Yes it has a little milky look on it but isn't that the HDR that needs some tweaking ?

Quote Originally Posted by FreefallRLC View Post
    On top a lot of bugs and problems in the start and it feels like nothing happens because the patches are coming slow. Iīd rather see weekly fixes and small patches that waiting for months and afterwards there is still a lot of issues.
    WTF - we're on v3, the game is running on PC/PS4/Xbox - how many people do you think are working in their company ?
    Do you have any idea at all what goes on behind the scenes ?

The arrogance of people on forums never ceases to amaze me.
    If you don't like it, play something else.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Fight-Test, pkcraistlin, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thanks. They need to optimize the graphics for the ORIGINAL ps4, not everybody upgraded to PRO.
    For comparison purposes, GT looks sharp, colours are rich, lighting is flawless, the material texture work are amazing all running on the original ps4. Even Forza 6, 7, horizon series looks better and that is on an Xbox one. Forza has dynamic weather and damage modeling too which is not inferior. Doesn't the ps4 hardware handle more than the Xbox One? I don't doubt the PC version looks the best (they focused all their energy and efforts on this version), but I am convinced the game on the base ps4 console version can look better from further optimization.

How is any of this being arrogant? Asking them to see if they can fix existing aliasing issues, hdr settings, or refine their graphics is being arrogant? Those other racing titles are not leaving the market anytime soon. They also need to make improvements and strides in physics, dynamic weather, damage modeling too. Its up to SMS to see if they want to improve the game or not. You accuse me for hating this game but I never said I didn't like it otherwise I wouldn't post my comments here. If they don't want to add or put anymore work to make it better that's fine. The truth is the graphics in this game are a huge step down compared with the first project cars. The first one still had a weather system etc.

If more than anything its very difficult for people to take constructive criticism and the first reaction is to defend the game by trash talking. Unbelievable.
    Last edited by mink; 04-01-2018 at 17:55.
    The following user likes this Post: DervPM

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    It's rubbish and to say that " The truth is the graphics in this game are a huge step down compared with the first project cars."

" I never said I didn't like the game, otherwise I wouldn't post here.", if only everyone was like you.

Edit, I read the op again, you are overstating everything and basically saying you want everything.
    Last edited by Zaskarspants; 04-01-2018 at 12:20.
    Cockpit view. 29 inch distance to 40 inch 1080p TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 0, all other camera movement, 0.
    G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 60, 15, 0, may change slightly. Skip and scrapyard rig.
    Assists, all off. Currently play 90-105/100 AI.
    1080p forty inch. Decent hifi, big speakers.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Have you played the original pcars ps4 version? Have you even played pcars 2 on the original ps4? I see your platform as Xbox X.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by mink View Post
    How is any of this being arrogant? Asking them to see if they can fix existing aliasing issues, hdr settings, or refine their graphics is being arrogant?
    I didn't call you arrogant.

But I am now saying the same thing to you, as I did FreefallRLC.

Do you understand the difference between company sizes and what they can deliver ?
    I work in a small visual effects company, we can't deliver ILM level of work unless we have a ton more time, or people which never happens.

So yeah, PC2 is on the same playing field as other games but not with the same financial backing etc.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Yes I see your point. But I think you have mistaken me: I'm not asking for graphics to be better than GT Sport or Forza. I am only using these games strictly as a comparison to illustrate a point of what the console SYSTEM itself is capable of handling. Knowing this I felt that the ps4 version was not optimized properly to take advantage of the console capability. It felt like a pc title automatically reduced to its lowest settings, ported to ps4 and shipped out the door. But if you had played the first project cars on ps4, you will notice a massive difference in the graphics quality immediately. The first game was clean looking without all the fuzzy mess, it was sharp, the trees and tracks looked great and I generally have no complaints. Was it the best looking racing title? No, but it was great for what it was.

Whether or not SMS has the time, the budget or the amount of staff to carry out that level of quality of work, I agree with you 100%. However you don't need to go corporate to do wonders. Btw this game is expensive on the store shelf and heavily priced just as much as any big triple A title out there regardless of the company size and its limited budget. It was only recently that the digital download went on sale for a few days.
    Last edited by mink; 04-01-2018 at 18:01.