Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Force Feedback problem with Project Cars 2/G29 wheel

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    In reply to Sum Dixon-ear, apologies for the stupidity, but when you say rebuild the database, do you mean just wipe off PC1 and 2 and reinstall? I don't want to wipe off all my son's (cough) games.
    Just for interest's sake. Is it possible that PC2 has messed things up on PC1? Or are these likely to be unrelated? It could also be that my son is trying to install Overwatch at the same time, of course.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Hey mince, I can relate and understand your frustration. You just want to race and not spend hours on the setup screen. The more you play with the settings, the more upset you will become. I am sure you will tinker endlessly on the ffb settings. That's the thing with console gaming, it should be plug and play. Generally I don't see how settings from one game can get transferred over to the next. It might be possible (if you don't restart the system) but it shouldn't modify your personal settings. Going with the default settings are always the best and that's the way how the game was meant to be played. If ffb feels weak perhaps that is the improvement that the developers were after. There is a fine balance between the steering resistance and the vibrations that you experience while playing.

Here is what I usually do. Whenever I switch games, I would do a quick restart on the ps4. I find this helps because it will clear the system memory cache, the wheel will reset and recalibrate itself.

Perhaps, it might have nothing to do with your game software. When did you purchase your wheel? If it has been several years ago, maybe it's time that you update your wheel's firmware. There might be a conflict with your wheels firmware and the latest patches from Pcars 2. Your wheel worked with the original project cars because it was released a few years ago. Its a chore but at least if you complete this, it might be the solution you're after. (Rather than rebuilding the ps4 database which is way more work) You need a laptop or pc with a USB port, internet connection to download the latest firmware from the Logitech G29 website. This is not just to calibrate your wheel for the pc but the hardware itself. The application will also determine if your wheel is working properly. Once you have configured and installed the latest firmware just take the wheel to your ps4. I didn't need to do it for mine but that's another possibility why your wheel is responding erratically.
    Last edited by mink; 06-01-2018 at 07:11.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by pkcraistlin View Post
    i don't know much about PS4 settings, but i do have a G29. i see lots of settings posted here for the PS4 which include much lower numbers for Gain.

pick a practice session and bring up the telemetry view (sorry, no idea how that's done on console). this would tell you a bit more about what's happening with your feedback. drive around. there are five small graphs which represent 20% of your wheel's possible force each, up to 100% (the higher the graphs, the more often/higher the force signal occurs within that band).

if your telemtry is spiking too much into the red (far right red graph), the game is sending feedback too high/strong for your wheel to provide. reduce gain until there's no more red, and then experiment with the other 3 settings (volume, tone, FX). i know it's not helpful, but once the wheel isn't clipping anymore, it's really down to personal preference how you should set these options.
    reposting from the original thread.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mincepie10 View Post
    I don't think I claimed to be a virgin user, just a rank amateur. Yes, I have posted a question before, but in terms of understanding the game, intricacies, settings etc, I am basically clueless. Is it a problem to ask questions? I was just hoping for some help given that I am unable to solve the problems I have by myself.
    No, you claimed to be a first time user, or so it appears to me.

Well, to be constructive now we know you had used the game befor, was the ffb ok earlier? Is the wheel new and maybe this is the first time you have used it ?
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Hi again. Thanks Zakarspants for being constructive. I'm just including my first mail to PROVE I said nothing about using the game for the first time. And even if I did, what's the beef????? I mean, is someone looking for help from people who know better a PROBLEM? I have read a lot of stuff on the Forum and it seems people are pretty aggressive about their opinions and thoughts? Why? Aren't we all just trying to get the best out of the game?
    Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments. I have tried some of the settings recommended and have seen a big improvement. I still haven't got to a point where I like the ffb as much as the default I had on PC1. But given that it seems pretty open to customization, I am pretty positive that I will get it right, even if it takes some time. So thanks again. Good to know the stuff about updating the software for the G29, too. Thanks Mink.

"It's very frustrating - was really[B] looking forward to an improvement in physics on the cars (which I thought was already pretty good), but I am seriously disappointed that it doesn't work "out of the box."
    I am also struggling to input my name!!! I type in "Simon" in the profile and there is no way to go further. I press X or O and it just wipes out what I have written. I have tried L1 L2 R1 R2 to get it to save as it goes, but it still just wipes my name out before going on to the surname box. I am probably just VERY dumb on this (and maybe even the force feedback issue) but as a rank amateur, I would really appreciate some help. I really enjoyed Project Cars and if the improvements are as good as I have heard, it should be great driving the much improved range of cars.
    The following user likes this Post: mink

Platform
    PS4
    Hi and thanks again. Still very frustrated. Now when I go back to the original Project Cars game, the force feedback works fine, but I have lost manual gear changing! I go into the settings and have manual selected, but the paddles do NOTHING at all. The paddles work in PC2, so it is not a wheel problem.....
    Are you sure you assigned paddles for gear changing? You need to do that in options for each game.

See hkraft's comment for assigning:
    "You might need to assign the paddles to shift up/ down in the control settings. They’re R1/L1 on the G29. I had to do that when I loaded up pc2."
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Yup, thanks. The paddles work fine now. The only thing is that if I go back to PC1, I need to reassign the paddles to shift gears for some reason. PC2 seems to set the paddles automatically to manual shift. It's no biggie, really, but I don't understand why PC2 should change the settings on PC1. Thanks again.
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    In reply to Sum Dixon-ear, apologies for the stupidity, but when you say rebuild the database, do you mean just wipe off PC1 and 2 and reinstall? I don't want to wipe off all my son's (cough) games.
    Just for interest's sake. Is it possible that PC2 has messed things up on PC1? Or are these likely to be unrelated? It could also be that my son is trying to install Overwatch at the same time, of course.
    Sorry, I missed your post...

Follow the below instructions for a database rebuild, I would recommend carrying this out after any patches/updates or if you encounter any gremlins with the PS4 or gameplay.

While in Safe Mode you can only navigate with the D-pad on the controller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	248608
    Savoury69 - Fanatec CSLE-PS4/McLaren GT3 Rim/ClubSport V3i Pedals - Samsung UE65KS9000 4K - Beer - Stovies - Alba Gu Brąth
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300