Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keena's Formula Rookie new online driver thread

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Keena's Formula Rookie new online driver thread

Hey all, as promised.

Tonight (if I'm feeling well enough-fighting off a cold), either Snetterton or Brands Hatch (short versions) or if someone particularly wants a particular UK track just shout for it.. 15 laps seems to work a bit better than 20. Weather will be hazy or overcast with no suprises. Fuel, tyre degradation, manual pit lane etc all on, authentic assists. Don't worry about any of that though, its more for immersion. The reason Ive thought of Brands Hatch and Snetterton is that they both have tricky corners which punish overly aggressive driving- a good learning point Smooth on these circuits really does equal quick. Bear in mind the Formula Rookie is prone to balance changes with large throttle movements mid corner, which can be a help or a hindrance depending on your point of view.

If youre not very good don't worry about it. The idea is to rock up and get better, by looking at other peoples telemetry as they drive around during practice, their driving line, their driving style, where they push etc etc. Most importantly, its a developing skill to maintain and build situational awareness using mirrors etc. I read it elsewhere on this forum and it rings true- to finish first you first must finish.

Anyone got any other UK suggestions or requests drop them below. If I set up Discord during the day I'll post the link below too. I'm wary of all this becoming too much like work though so if it doesn't happen its because I'm wanting to keep it casual

Take care and hopefully see you later, around 1930 UK. Remember it will be under the Sunscreen banner.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: FlakNine, Marlborofranz, Nyreen

Platform
    PC
    online virgin here.................ill keep an eye out on this thread as i would love to join up one evening,central US time here, but with enough notice the weekends are doable for me
    PS4 T300RS BASE , FANATEC CLUBSPORT V3 ,TH8A ,FANATEC SHIFTER,TRAKRACER RS8
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Superb race at Brands Hatch as evidenced by less than 1 second separating the top three after 15 laps. A full grid of 15 again of Formula Rookie. I need to learn how to defend better though as I let P3 through a little too easily. Some excellent situational awareness and consideration by lapped drivers. Really happy with that element.
    Takeaway learning point- it would be great if drivers when going for the inside left sufficient grip to avoid sliding wide. That way there could be some mega battles.

Tomorrow damage will be on, just performance impacting. Hopefully that will help the aggression levels.

I'll pop a password on here tomorrow too. Keep an eye out.

Thanks all. Had a blast again
    Last edited by Keena; 05-01-2018 at 20:58.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Update- sorry no races for a few days for the guys keen to try online for the first time or guys in lower tier cars. Blame flu. Keep an eye out as of tomorrow.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I got a daft question probably...

I prefer to use zero assists, am i right to presume that in race with assists on that I will not be forced to use them on my own car?
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    I got a daft question probably...

I prefer to use zero assists, am i right to presume that in race with assists on that I will not be forced to use them on my own car?
    That's a good question. Short answer is I don't know. I guess for TC and ABS it's a simple turn off in the car settings, but stability control I have no idea. It certainly takes a bit of getting used to and I'm nowhere near that yet

Platform
    PC
    Keeping an eye out for you online tonight... In the mean time I've started a FR race at Snetterton in case anyone wants to join.
    i5 6600k | MSI Z170A SLI Plus | MSI GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 500gb 850 EVO | Fractal Design Define S | Liquid cooled | W10 x64 | T300 RS GT

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakNine View Post
    Keeping an eye out for you online tonight... In the mean time I've started a FR race at Snetterton in case anyone wants to join.
    Hey dude, I'm still getting over the flu. In typical male fashion I think I'm lucky to be alive while my wife just wants me to die quietly. Intend to be in tomorrow at usual time though as on the mend finally. Let me know how Snetterton goes. I'm on holiday for another week so plenty of fun to be had.
    Last edited by Keena; 09-01-2018 at 21:13.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    Hey dude, I'm still getting over the flu. In typical male fashion I think I'm lucky to be alive while my wife just wants me to die quietly. Intend to be in tomorrow at usual time though as on the mend finally. Let me know how Snetterton goes. I'm on holiday for another week so plenty of fun to be had.
    Snetterton 200... I wasn't sure how it was going to pan out since only two others joined late in qualifying. BUT, as luck would have it all three of us were running at a very similar pace (I think around 1:20 - 1:21) and we had a really tight and clean three-way race for the first 8 of 15 laps. Unfortunately the driver in front of me ran wide out of Riches (turn 1) and span, and I couldn't avoid getting tangled up in the carnage; both of us got wiped out but got back on track together and continued at very similar speeds - gradually clawing back some time on the leader. All good fun although I admit to pushing too hard on the last lap and paying the penalty - I carried too much speed under the bridge at Brundle and spun while braking for Nelson, meaning I limped over the line some time after the other two after all that closely matched racing!

Snetterton is an interesting circuit with a couple of challenging sections where it's necessary to brake through some high speed turns (Brundle > Nelson and Coram > Murrays).

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow Keena!
    i5 6600k | MSI Z170A SLI Plus | MSI GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 500gb 850 EVO | Fractal Design Define S | Liquid cooled | W10 x64 | T300 RS GT

Quote Originally Posted by FlakNine View Post
    Snetterton 200... I wasn't sure how it was going to pan out since only two others joined late in qualifying. BUT, as luck would have it all three of us were running at a very similar pace (I think around 1:20 - 1:21) and we had a really tight and clean three-way race for the first 8 of 15 laps. Unfortunately the driver in front of me ran wide out of Riches (turn 1) and span, and I couldn't avoid getting tangled up in the carnage; both of us got wiped out but got back on track together and continued at very similar speeds - gradually clawing back some time on the leader. All good fun although I admit to pushing too hard on the last lap and paying the penalty - I carried too much speed under the bridge at Brundle and spun while braking for Nelson, meaning I limped over the line some time after the other two after all that closely matched racing!

Snetterton is an interesting circuit with a couple of challenging sections where it's necessary to brake through some high speed turns (Brundle > Nelson and Coram > Murrays).

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow Keena!
    was a good race...

you should have hung around for 15 laps of Imola in the Caterham 620.. my poor old thumbs!

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following 2 users likes this Post: FlakNine, Keena