Thread: Diablo III - Eternal Collection (X1X impressions)

Platform
    XBOX1 X

Diablo III - Eternal Collection (X1X impressions)

Intro.
    I played the original Diablo III and Reaper of Souls expansion some 3-5 years ago on my PC but since then I first went through a period of playing less games and later moved to both console platforms. Now recently I saw the Digital Foundry video about the Diablo III X1X enhanced version. I got a bit intrigued since the review was quite positive but the game (now bundled in the Eternal Edition being the game + expansion + necromancer class) was still 69.99 EUR during the holiday season which I didn't want to pay. This week though I saw it for 35 EUR discount on the XBox Gold membership deals, watched a few of the original PS3 / XBox 360 console reviews to check how gameplay was with a controller and since that was also overwhelmingly positive I decided to buy it. Turns out I haven't been playing anything else for the rest of the week.

Prior to playing this again I didn't remember much about the original game anymore but as I play through it after all these years it's becoming a chain of nostalgic moments following up on each other which is really fun. I'm near the end of Act II now and at this moment I don't even remember anymore what Act III looks like. But oddly I still remember Act III in Diablo II was a jungle theme. I'm playing the necromancer class now since I never played that one before, feels like incredibly overpowered on normal difficulty but in a Diablo III game that's probably the norm.

Graphics.
    Seeing how the original game is over 5 years old for the PC and was a year later released on the previous gen consoles, this has got to be visually one of the most impressive previous-to-next gen ports I have ever seen, beating GTA V, Uncharted, CoD MWII and Skyrim all in the progress. I don't know what exactly has been enhanced with the X1X patch but the graphics are 4K and the effects of spells, smoke, fog, lighting and all that look absolutely incredible (all in that great Blizzard art style we also know from Warcraft). The character models though are still rather small and don't have too much detail, I have the feeling not much has changed there but it's not really disturbing. The size of the world view feels a bit bigger as well than how I remember it from my PC days (which was on a full HD monitor so aspect ratio is the same). There is no HDR in the X1X enhanced version but the game looks great without it as well.

Sound, music & voice.
    The sound mix on my 5.1 home theatre is just a stereo output from what I can hear but ooh boy, it has got to be one of the best sound outputs of all games I have now. The spell effects have a rich deep bass and sound very high quality. Ambient sounds and music are top notch as well and I kinda forgot how outstandingly good the voice acting is in this game.

Gameplay.
    Well the gameplay is basically the same but it seems a lot has happened over these years. You first get prompted with a ton of major patch updates and one of them indicates new monsters and challenges have been added. I am now also playing as a seasonal character but I swear I have seen encounters and monsters already that I didn't see before. It also feels as if some maps have a couple more of these side-dungeons than how I remember them. Gameplay itself is as smooth as butter with a 60 fps frame rate. But... sometimes when my side-kick starts a voice line there is a micro-pauze while loading his voice line. He only does that on occasion and always out of combat so it's not really a hindrance to the gameplay.

With the controller.
    This game plays really good with a controller. I first wondered how the heck they would do all the inventory organisation and gem socketing without a mouse. Any other developer would do it in the sleezy way and give you a mouse cursor to move with one of the analog sticks. But this is Blizzard with the highest possible levels of game polish so instead you get a selection-wheel around your character which you move with the left stick. If for example you highlight the slot for the helmet and press A, all items in your inventory are filtered for the helmet slot and it's really easy to compare them and swap them out. It works similarly intuitive to socket and upgrade gems or use any of the crafting dudes (blacksmith, jeweler, etc).

Conclusion.
    I'm absolutely impressed. The high quality feel of the graphics and sound, the intuitive feel of using a controller, the nostalgic moments and the overall fun of just using this on my big TV while lying in the sofa are all great. There are so many games I still gotta play and I've sworn to myself in 2018 I would buy fewer games and first play everything I already have on my consoles but for this game I made an exception and I'm glad I did. I think once I've played through all 5 Acts with my necromancer I will put the game on the side for a while but I can see myself returning to the game from time to time to either further play my necro or start one of the other classes.

If you didn't enjoy Diablo before this won't change your opinion. But if you did and you have an Xbox One X I can highly recommend grabbing this game from the Xbox Store.

The Digital Foundry video
    Last edited by breyzipp; 07-01-2018 at 08:15.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Invincible, Just Another Frog, Shiftdel

Superkart Pilot
    Thanks for the info, Breyzipp. I sold my copy (along with BL2) to part fund the X1X so i'm looking to rebuy them both sooner rather than later. Diablo is one of very few games on XB1 that you can put down, forget about and then resurrect and replay without any difficulty whatsoever so I am kind of looking forward to the X1X enhanced version.
    The following user likes this Post: breyzipp

Platform
    PC
    I started played DIII on pc too. But only did so for half a year back then. Because my wife wanted to play it too and she is on PS, we bought on for PS3 again. Haven't touched it on PC ever since. I hate to admit it, but the controls with the gamepad are simply so much better than constantly clicking with the mouse - it's incredible. Then we bought it AGAIN for PS4 when it came out.
    Me and my wife together probably sunk a couple of thousand hours into it. Paragon 1600 on normal, 950-ish on HC.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    I started played DIII on pc too. But only did so for half a year back then. Because my wife wanted to play it too and she is on PS, we bought on for PS3 again. Haven't touched it on PC ever since. I hate to admit it, but the controls with the gamepad are simply so much better than constantly clicking with the mouse - it's incredible. Then we bought it AGAIN for PS4 when it came out.
    Me and my wife together probably sunk a couple of thousand hours into it. Paragon 1600 on normal, 950-ish on HC.
    Wow that's some serious commitment!

I could never motivate myself to do this. As soon as I reach max level (and therefore can't unlock new skills or runes) I normally completely lose interest in that char and either start another one or quit the game.
    The Paragon system doesn't really motivate me either.
    I'm probably different than 90% of the other D3 players (who say the game really just begins when you reach max level) but farming for gear and Paragon levels doesn't really interest me tbh.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    Wow that's some serious commitment!

I could never motivate myself to do this. As soon as I reach max level (and therefore can't unlock new skills or runes) I normally completely lose interest in that char and either start another one or quit the game.
    The Paragon system doesn't really motivate me either.
    I'm probably different than 90% of the other D3 players (who say the game really just begins when you reach max level) but farming for gear and Paragon levels doesn't really interest me tbh.
    Well, we mostly played it when we were bored and cba to watch tv or play something more serious. We never got too deep into the gear, build and craft system, yet still we're able to blast through T10 - T11 portals easily in under 7 minutes.

We didn't plan on "committing" to the game, it just was sort of our go-to game when we had nothing better to do.
    Last edited by Invincible; 09-01-2018 at 08:13.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I really enjoyed playing Diablo 3 back when I had a PS4, offline play & duping made the game enjoyable for a casual player like me. I never had any interest in the pc version, though.