Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Career....lets talk about it. What difficulty do you use?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    100 AI difficulty.

100 Aggression.

I may lower the difficulty slightly if im on silverstone. I win most races, not all.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    85 diff/75 aggr.. I need the practice and qualification rounds to warm up.. at the start it almost looks like I'm hopelessly slow, often several seconds behind AI laptimes, but eventually I find my rythm. This difficulty keeps me on my toes in career mode. Using the touring car path. Clio -> Group A -> RS01...

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by wadafaka View Post
    I need the practice and qualification rounds to warm up.. at the start it almost looks like I'm hopelessly slow, often several seconds behind AI laptimes, but eventually I find my rythm.
    Yeah same here. My first few laps in practice seem hopelessly slow. I'm often 5, 6, 7 seconds behind and I think holy crap how am I ever going to close that gap. But as I get a feel for the car, the tires inflate and the track starts to rubber in, my times improve.
    If you're going to fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark and its starting to rain.
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I started out trying like 50%, struggled with that at some tracks... I started adjusting downward depending on how I was doing at any particular track... Eventually I just said... "Muck It" and lowered it to zero, so that I could actually get through the career mode reasonably fast.. ( I don't have years, or even months to be able to devote to running that whole career thing ). I finished up all the tiers except for the last one, before the 1.3 patch came out, after the patch came out I started a new driver and career, with the intention of increasing the AI difficulty. Since then, I've gotten into online racing and haven't really gone back to the career mode.

When I first got the point where I had to keep lowering the AI performance I was not very satisfied with having to do so. I'm still not really happy to admit that I lowered it to zero... however getting the experience of all the tracks and types of cars that are in the career mode was/is priceless... so since I do have a finite amount of time I can devote to honing my racing skills, I'm personally happy I just got through as much as I did, and learned as much as I did after I lowered it to zero... so no regrets really. Now that I've gotten through most of it, I can easily go back and re-do any of it I want... so it's still there for me if I want...

Meanwhile, I believe I've learned a lot more by doing multi player online racing , then I did in career mod... at least in terms of how to go faster. The AI sometimes drives at what I consider to be unrealistic speeds, if you try to follow it's line and braking points, it's nearly impossible to learn from ( at least it is for me ). AI just seems like it's on rails, never makes a mistake... and in general just isn't really that helpful to race against.

FYI - on some tracks and with some cars I can more or less keep up with AI at 100% now... not all tracks or cars though. In general, I'd say if you can keep up with AI at 79%, your doing pretty good and could easily compete online with others and not cause too many wrecks... if you really can't go as fast as the AI at say 50%, you probably should keep practicing before you start going online and trying to race hard against others. I wouldn't say don't go online at all, but if your not going at least the speed of a 50% AI at some track/car combination, you better really try to be careful if you get in any online race, or your likely to get people mad at your lack of skills
    Playstation 4, Playseat Challenge, and Logitech G29 wheel
    The following user likes this Post: Alfisti

Platform
    PC
    Started out in tier 5 with 70 and slowly increased it ever since. I'm usually doing practice for the first 1 or 2 races just to get a handle on tires and fuel and after that stick to qualifying and racing.

Currently doing 90 in wet and 95 or 100 in dry depending on my comfort with the track. Still get the odd track where I'm way faster than the AI and others that I'm way slower. I put that down more to my knowledge of the track rather than AI inconsistency.

Aggression setting I've kept at 75.
    Steam: DuskyDemon
    | Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Thrustmaster TX Ferrari GTE Wheel | Fanatec Clubsport V3 Pedals | Oculus Rift |

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by wadafaka View Post
    85 diff/75 aggr.. I need the practice and qualification rounds to warm up.. at the start it almost looks like I'm hopelessly slow, often several seconds behind AI laptimes, but eventually I find my rythm. This difficulty keeps me on my toes in career mode. Using the touring car path. Clio -> Group A -> RS01...
    This sounds like me, we'd probably have good races against each other.
    Sometimes I'm at a 70, sometimes I can manage 100 but 85 is usually a good starting point. Really depends on the track and how familiar/consistent I can be on it.
    Asus Rog strix gtx 1070 / i5 6600k @4.2 / 16gb ram.
    Fanatec csw base v2 / porsche 918 rs wheel / clubsport pedals v3. Openwheeler racing seat. Oculus rift.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I started 60-70 difficulty/50 aggression for Ginetta Junior GT5. I narrowly missed the championship trophy. I had some good racing with the AI. I won both the Porsche Cayman Cup with 75-80 difficulty/60 aggression & GT4 Championship at 85-90 difficulty/75 aggression. I tried 95 difficulty for the last race at Barcelona National and I was 2 secs off-pace in qualy end up finishing 12th in the race. Super Trofeo is next so I will start about 85 difficulty/75 aggression and see where I am against the AI. I run a lot of time trials & "borrow" setups and make adjustments to help prepare for qualifying.
    MSI AERO GTX 1080 | i7 7700k @4.2GHz | 16GB RAM | ASUS MG279Q Monitor | Oculus Rift
    Fanatec CSW Base V2.5 | BMW M3 GT2 & F1 Carbon Wheel | Clubsport Shifter SQ / V1.5 Handbrake | Clubsport Pedals V3 with Brake Performance Kit | GTOmega Wheel Stand & RS9 Seat

Platform
    PS4
    I've upped the ante from 20-25 to 30 AI Opponent Skill now.
    AI Aggression at 25.
    Works for me.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: iggy

WMD Member
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I started in the 80s because that's what I had for the first iteration of the game. To say I was struggling would be putting it mildly. I lowered it to the high 30's-mid 40's and that equalized qualifying a bit. As long as I could get my act together for a good lap I could put it on pole, between a tenth or two and maybe a second and a half. But in the race I would run away at the start and barring a rookie mistake I'd never look back. If they did happen to get close they'd never try hard enough to make a pass at Aggression 40ish. Then I came up with my own offline global championship, hopping from continent to continent. At Skill 37-45 I'd easily trounce the AI in my class and the performance gaps between the slower cars in one class and the faster in the other class was just too close. I bumped up skill to 50, then 60, then finally 80 and that helped normalize the performance gaps (no more GT3 cars splitting the Group C field) and made my gap to the nearest car closer to 1-1.5 seconds. At that point the more pressing issue is how scared the AI was to pass slower classes, so I moved aggression up to 100. It didn't completely fix things but it made them a little better in traffic. The remaining issue is that my pace is still too quick to allow for a competitive race so I'll probably need to move skill up to 90 or even beyond. But then the problem there will be when I decide to go back to career mode where I'm 99% certain I'll be miles off the pace.

I wish the difference from class to class and track to track was lessened but because of how they do the AI on a situational basis it's kind of hard to suggest a fix.

Edit: I should also mention this is with gamepad and slightly altered deadzone settings. I'm sure input device and settings is a big factor in our racecraft.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dan2312 View Post
    100 AI difficulty.

100 Aggression.

I may lower the difficulty slightly if im on silverstone. I win most races, not all.
    Silverstone is my kryptonite.

I just spent about 4 hours beating 100 AI / 90 Aggression with the Ginetta GT5 on Brands Hatch GP. That track has some seriously nasty corners.
    4 hours to get second pole, 10 minutes to get ahead and stay there for the whole race.

I think my best time was 1:39 something, which actually isnt even good (