Thread: Online - So much fun... but so anoying

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X

Online - So much fun... but so anoying

Hi,

Just thought I'd comment on my progress.

I've spent some time doing TT and can now keep it under control and on the track.

I've recently started online racing with GT3 focusing on trying to develop my safety class rather than winning so I'm happy to stay towards the back and focus on trying to avoid others...had got almost out of F class when I ended up in a race full of bumper car nuts...

First lap, I don't think their was a single corner without a pile-up and although I did the best I could to avoid them I must have got pile driven off the road at least 3 times by people driving like lunatics.

Took my safety from F80% back to 40% in a single race..

Cant wait to get up a couple of classes so I can get into races were people value clean racing.

Still great fun but it's hard work at the bottom of the pile.

See you on the track.

Steve
    The following user likes this Post: nissan4ever

Platform
    PC
    I'm inclined to agree, I keep popping online now and again, and my experience is just the same, you wait around for ages doing qualifying and then if you are quite high up the grid, in turn 1 half the grid uses you to brake, you get punted off and it's all down the drain. Or, you sneak in at the end of quali and you end up near the back, make up half a dozen places by simply not falling off the track and watching everyone drop off in front of you until you get to the two or three guys who can actually drive then you are matched for pace and you stay exactly the same distance behind for the rest of the race.
    Compare that to racing the AI, who have better awareness, better manners and drive like pro drivers, safe and predictable, and will happily go on pause when the doorbell goes or the phone rings.
    I've never been inclined to join a closed group of better drivers due to the pause issue, and I'd hate to be letting people down.
    I know online play is very popular, but I've really never enjoyed it in any game, it's just not for me. I guess opinion is divided on the matter, but AI in both Project CARS has been great for me, and is still improving, so I'll stick with my robot buddies for now.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Just Another Frog, nissan4ever

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    I'm inclined to agree, I keep popping online now and again, and my experience is just the same, you wait around for ages doing qualifying and then if you are quite high up the grid, in turn 1 half the grid uses you to brake, you get punted off and it's all down the drain. Or, you sneak in at the end of quali and you end up near the back, make up half a dozen places by simply not falling off the track and watching everyone drop off in front of you until you get to the two or three guys who can actually drive then you are matched for pace and you stay exactly the same distance behind for the rest of the race.
    Compare that to racing the AI, who have better awareness, better manners and drive like pro drivers, safe and predictable, and will happily go on pause when the doorbell goes or the phone rings.
    I've never been inclined to join a closed group of better drivers due to the pause issue, and I'd hate to be letting people down.
    I know online play is very popular, but I've really never enjoyed it in any game, it's just not for me. I guess opinion is divided on the matter, but AI in both Project CARS has been great for me, and is still improving, so I'll stick with my robot buddies for now.
    Lols, I am so close to having a go online, but I also find the AI fun to race and good competition. I would be crestfallen if my first race was rubbish.
    Cockpit view. 29 inch distance to 40 inch 1080p TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 0, all other camera movement, 0.
    G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 60, 15, 0, may change slightly. Skip and scrapyard rig.
    Assists, all off.
    1080p forty inch. Decent hifi, big speakers.

Platform
    PC
    Don't let me put you off, loads of people love it, it was just a personal point of view. I tried again last night, hopped into a GT3 race at Long Beach with only 5min quali left, put one lap in and was 15th on the grid. During the seven lap race I ended up finishing 5th just by not making mistakes, avoiding the pile ups etc. Finished the race with a nice shiny car while all around looked like banger racers. Normally if I'd made up ten places in a race I'd be chuffed, but it was a bit of an anti climax.
    Either way it's part of the experience, so you should try it and don't listen to me whinging about it
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 2 users likes this Post: EV3RY, Zaskarspants

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Thanks for the encouraging words John, maybe today I will give it a try.
    Cockpit view. 29 inch distance to 40 inch 1080p TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 0, all other camera movement, 0.
    G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 60, 15, 0, may change slightly. Skip and scrapyard rig.
    Assists, all off.
    1080p forty inch. Decent hifi, big speakers.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    Sadly, starts are always tough once you get past row two or so.

If you want to improve your safety rating, just fail to qualify so you'll start at the back. If you're not all the way back, move over to let the remainder of the field pass you. Then just keep your nose clean and try to pass as many folks as possible. Clean passing is the fastest way to improve your rating. Once you get your rating past "F", you can usually find some decent games.

Once you get a rating, avoid "U" rated lobbies.
    Intel i7-2600k quad core @ 4.4GHz | Asus P8Z68-V LE | 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1080Ti 11GB | Steelseries Siberia 350 headphones |500 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD | 4TB WD Green HD | 1TB WD Red HD | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Logitech G27 with Nixim brake mod | Asus PG279Q 27" IPS G-Sync monitor @ 2560 x 1440 | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO
    The following 5 users likes this Post: EV3RY, John Hargreaves, Just Another Frog, Stevebug, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    Lols, I am so close to having a go online, but I also find the AI fun to race and good competition. I would be crestfallen if my first race was rubbish.
    Give it a go as John mentioned don't let them put you off. The only way to get into is is just jump in a server and get racing, there will be the bad and the ugly but trust me the good races will make you work up a sweat and when you finish its a great feeling. Send me a FR on Xbox Gamertag is Gysepy. If you want we can open up a lobby to whatever car track combo you are comfortable with and see who Joins.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I've only played online in PC1 with a work colleague in a private race. I would love to give online a go in PC2, even with a couple of people in a private session with a load of AI cars. I organise work evenings out at a local venue where they have 15 linked simulators running RFactor 2, and so much of what is here is SO familiar - mass pile-ups at turn 1, fighting your way past someone only for them to shunt you out of the way on the next corner and you have to try all over again.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    Don't let me put you off, loads of people love it, it was just a personal point of view. I tried again last night, hopped into a GT3 race at Long Beach with only 5min quali left, put one lap in and was 15th on the grid. During the seven lap race I ended up finishing 5th just by not making mistakes, avoiding the pile ups etc. Finished the race with a nice shiny car while all around looked like banger racers. Normally if I'd made up ten places in a race I'd be chuffed, but it was a bit of an anti climax.
    Either way it's part of the experience, so you should try it and don't listen to me whinging about it
    You done well. Long Beach is always a nightmare online.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Senser View Post
    I've only played online in PC1 with a work colleague in a private race. I would love to give online a go in PC2, even with a couple of people in a private session with a load of AI cars. I organise work evenings out at a local venue where they have 15 linked simulators running RFactor 2, and so much of what is here is SO familiar - mass pile-ups at turn 1, fighting your way past someone only for them to shunt you out of the way on the next corner and you have to try all over again.
    Go for it. I don't think it's quite as bad anymore as it used to be. I don't even look at the lobby rating anymore (I've made it to B rating so far), i'm fine with U lobbies lately.
    I find that most of the guys I find online are pretty decent. If you're unsure, just tap or lightly ride your brake a bit early into the corner - brake lights usually gets a reaction from the guy behind you even if it's a tad bit early.
    You can expect that someone is going to dive up the inside too late on the brakes, as if they were racing solo against the AI.... but that's part of the challenge and you just need to learn to read when that might happen and give them space. Anticipate it, brake early, and cut to the inside just as they are flying past you and going too deep. Race strong and you will pass them at some point where the opportunity is good and safer. I find this quite fun, actually.

I'm enjoying the online much more than career or single-player. Some mess...yes every now and then it can happen. But overwhelmingly it's good fun and pretty competitive.

I raced about 2hours tonight and had some great battles for 1st, mid-pack, and also at the back. No complaints.

Oh,one complaint. Guys online with open mic's are just annoying and disruptive. SMS please make this easier to mute...