Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: geared LSD vs clutch LSD???

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

geared LSD vs clutch LSD???

What I'm asking myself always is, is it useful to activate the geared LSD when the clutch LSD is already active? What are using all the users here and can somebody tell me the benefits and exact function of the geared LSD ?

Would be nice to get some additional questions to this issue and for my overall understanding of the differential.

Many thanks.
    The following user likes this Post: MrTulip

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by thydney1970 View Post
    What I'm asking myself always is, is it useful to activate the geared LSD when the clutch LSD is already active? What are using all the users here and can somebody tell me the benefits and exact function of the geared LSD ?

Would be nice to get some additional questions to this issue and for my overall understanding of the differential.

Many thanks.
    Hi thydney, prior to the latest Patch 3.0 I used the Geared and Clutch LSD combination exclusively just for knowledge. Mostly I ran GT3 and GT4 but I had also used it on other cars. I could not say that there is an advantage to using both with GT3 and GT4 cars and the complexity of using both is a drawback. Since the Patch 3.0 I have switched to just using the Clutch LSD.

Here is an Audi R8 LMS setup using the combination LSD for example http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1402683

If you look at the setups in TT they are almost exclusively Clutch LSD. Some people did use the Geared LSD when the game first came out because it was more familiar to them coming from PC1 but once most people became familiar with the Ramps, Preload and Clutch plate functions of the Clutch LSD they have transitioned away from the Geared setup.

Also, visit the sticky on differentials http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...-Differentials

Ok thydney, I am not trying to confuse you but I just ran a test at Texas Motor Speedway using the RWD P30 LMP1. It uses multiple LSD's but the front and center I left at default then I turned off the Clutch LSD and activated the Viscous. My time improved slightly. What I am saying is that you can have confidence in using the Clutch LSD but certain track/car combinations might benefit from another LSD choice/setup so you will have to experiment to get the optimum results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-01-13 10-46-02-32.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	248670
    Last edited by blinkngone; 13-01-2018 at 14:53.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    until now I always driven the cars with enabled clutch & geared LSD. I started today the first time without geared LSD activated and I only feel slightly differences on turn in in my opinion. With the Toyota TS040 ii'm actually 10th at LeMans on PC :-). Many thanks for your explanations blinkngone.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by thydney1970 View Post
    until now I always driven the cars with enabled clutch & geared LSD. I started today the first time without geared LSD activated and I only feel slightly differences on turn in in my opinion. With the Toyota TS040 ii'm actually 10th at LeMans on PC :-). Many thanks for your explanations blinkngone.
    Hi thydney, I went back and did some further testing with the Viscous LSD. For me, it only is beneficial on the Marek's and RWD's and so far I have only additionally tested the Ligier JS P2 Nissan. I can only test ovals(Daytona and Texas) but it seems that 250Nm to 300NM is best. I don't know how the Viscous setup would work on Road Courses. I haven't tested the e-Tron or TS040, sorry.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    I prefer viscous too(had one or rather two in my RL 325ix). They are more gradual and less vicious( ) than normal LSD's because they require heat to build up lock. That has the combined por that they hardly ever lock under decelleration, which is good, because I don't like that. It makes the car do things I don't want most of the time. I try to get chassis stability to remove the need for decel LSD, although some rear weight biased cars do need some(but I prefer 50/50 or front biased anyway).

So I'm starting to 'turn down the volume' on the other diffs and compensate with viscous. It makes for a much more 'trustworthy' car, for me at least.
    Let's change the world today with a whisper
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive
    /// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusN View Post
    I prefer viscous too(had one or rather two in my RL 325ix). They are more gradual and less vicious( ) than normal LSD's because they require heat to build up lock. That has the combined por that they hardly ever lock under decelleration, which is good, because I don't like that. It makes the car do things I don't want most of the time. I try to get chassis stability to remove the need for decel LSD, although some rear weight biased cars do need some(but I prefer 50/50 or front biased anyway).

So I'm starting to 'turn down the volume' on the other diffs and compensate with viscous. It makes for a much more 'trustworthy' car, for me at least.
    Cool, I didn't have any success with my GT3 setups at Texas Motor Speedway, trying to use the Viscous I was 2 tenths slower than the Clutch for some reason and 2 tenths is huge at this track.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Cool, I didn't have any success with my GT3 setups at Texas Motor Speedway, trying to use the Viscous I was 2 tenths slower than the Clutch for some reason and 2 tenths is huge at this track.
    But how did the car feel? I prefer stability/controllability over pure speed. That's why I almost always end up higher in a race than in qualification. I can be seconds down in qualy even giving my best/all.

Platform
    PC
    But how did the car feel? I prefer stability/controllability over pure speed. That's why I almost always end up higher in a race than in qualification. I can be seconds down in qualy even giving my best/all.
    Oh, sorry MaximusN, you are right it does feel extremely smooth, especially on corner entry. Is this what you are referring to? I only do TT so outright speed for a single lap is my priority.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Oh, sorry MaximusN, you are right it does feel extremely smooth, especially on corner entry. Is this what you are referring to? I only do TT so outright speed for a single lap is my priority.
    Jip and I think it could have a positive effect on tyre wear too, unless it causes to much inside wheelspin on acceleration of course. That's the thing you might want to compensate for with other types of LSD's.

But it's all down to personal preference of course...

Platform
    PC
    Jip and I think it could have a positive effect on tyre wear too, unless it causes to much inside wheelspin on acceleration of course. That's the thing you might want to compensate for with other types of LSD's.

But it's all down to personal preference of course...
    Ok, so, for a racing strategy do you think maybe qualifying with a Clutch LSD to get the best possible lap and start position and then switching to a Viscous setup for racing to take advantage of the smoothness/predictability and possible improved tire wear might be an option?