Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD RX 480 8gb +vr?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg90 View Post
    Hmm. Not sure what you mean by "it's 360 degrees". Surely pixel count is pixel count, whether they are shown on 2 screens in front of your face or 1 monitor on your desk. 2560x1440 seems a strange resolution for VR, are you sure it wasn't 2560x1440 per eye? Although that would be odd too. If not damn I need to go away and research more about how these things work hehe.
    the image has to be warped to something other than a straight 2160x1200.. for a start you are rendering 2 images (1080x1200) and you are warping them (the opposite to the lens)

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + Clubsport pedals + shifter set - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i3-4130T - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following user likes this Post: Egg90

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    hmmm...it seems like the majority are NVidia users.

So even if I could get 90fps with custom settings on my setup, the vr headset graphic settings is separate?

well, doesn't look good. Currently run 1440p @ 60fps, regular scenarios locked while certain conditions dip to high 40's.

Just wish I had more AMD users opinion as most google searches on the net are about a year old impressions in regards to RX 480 and VR.

Looks like EBay for a GTX1080 and 2D for a while longer.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/RX 480 8gb/8gb 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcstar View Post
    hmmm...it seems like the majority are NVidia users.

So even if I could get 90fps with custom settings on my setup, the vr headset graphic settings is separate?

well, doesn't look good. Currently run 1440p @ 60fps, regular scenarios locked while certain conditions dip to high 40's.

Just wish I had more AMD users opinion as most google searches on the net are about a year old impressions in regards to RX 480 and VR.

Looks like EBay for a GTX1080 and 2D for a while longer.
    I can pretty much Max out pC2 with MSAA High and get a solid v-sync even at night and storms around all tracks but struggle to get 90 with Low/Medium in VR and lots of people have SETTLED for ASW 45 but now High . That is a pretty bad compromise in my opinion but a sad reality of current gen PC's.
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080 Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz/ Cooler: Hyper D92 / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / Formula Carbon / CS Universal Hub/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift .

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Don't even bother with VR on PC2 unless you want poor graphics - unless you have a 1080ti and can max out steamvr super sampling (in game options don't change much if anything from my experience)- Personally I love the game now I have a 1080ti (except the white flashing!!!!).

Initially, in VR, no matter the graphics you will love it, even on super low settings, sadly, humans are very picky and expectant and the little things will start to get to you, you will want to turn things up and you cant.

I have a 5960X clocked at 4.4ghz, 32gb Crucial Ballistix RAM and a watercooled, overclocked 1080ti - and most of my settings are on low/medium to get a nice smooth framerate. Don't get me wrong, its fun, but either the game isn't optimised to a high standard or the game is just too system intensive for the highest end technology we have available today. I prefer to think the latter.

Not in VR? I can max out everything, it looks amazing, plays even better, BUT because I know how immersive VR is, its just not cutting it for me

TL;DR - Don't even try VR on that card (or any card) as you will love it but be disappointed that you cant up the settings to what you would expect for a 3K+ gaming PC.

(p.s. I'm a quality prude, I need to have everything at max to be happy - other people may vary.)
    Last edited by ph123uk; 14-01-2018 at 11:09.
    Rampage V Extreme | Intel i7 5960X | Nvidia GTX980 SLi Now 1080ti| 65" Hisense M7000 4k HDR | PSVR using TrinusVR to emulate a Vive | Thrustmaster T150

Happy PC2 VR Enthusiast
    The following user likes this Post: TorTorden

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    yeah, kinda sucks as I only want to get VR for this game.

I'm not a graphics whore just as long as I could have a playable immersive experience. Trying to find out just how playable it is, is challenging in itself. Stuff like micro stutters and unreadable distance markers or massive jaggies that detract from the experience are what I'm looking to find out. I only switch to PC mid last year been on console every since. One thing about console gamer's, we play it any way they give it to us...lol.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/RX 480 8gb/8gb 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ph123uk View Post
    Don't even bother with VR on PC2 unless you want poor graphics - unless you have a 1080ti and can max out steamvr super sampling (in game options don't change much if anything from my experience)- Personally I love the game now I have a 1080ti (except the white flashing!!!!).

Initially, in VR, no matter the graphics you will love it, even on super low settings, sadly, humans are very picky and expectant and the little things will start to get to you, you will want to turn things up and you cant.

I have a 5960X clocked at 4.4ghz, 32gb Crucial Ballistix RAM and a watercooled, overclocked 1080ti - and most of my settings are on low/medium to get a nice smooth framerate. Don't get me wrong, its fun, but either the game isn't optimised to a high standard or the game is just too system intensive for the highest end technology we have available today. I prefer to think the latter.

Not in VR? I can max out everything, it looks amazing, plays even better, BUT because I know how immersive VR is, its just not cutting it for me

TL;DR - Don't even try VR on that card (or any card) as you will love it but be disappointed that you cant up the settings to what you would expect for a 3K+ gaming PC.

(p.s. I'm a quality prude, I need to have everything at max to be happy - other people may vary.)
    Possibly the main reason i didnt get VR so long for was because i knew it would be so amazingly immersive but not look the best and thought i could hold off till next gen VR but caved last month , man its so cool but back to the struggle , it's like trying to run 4K on a GTX 1060 .A trade off with just barley getting the FPS required and compromising settings even with a 1080Ti .
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080 Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz/ Cooler: Hyper D92 / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / Formula Carbon / CS Universal Hub/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift .

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcstar View Post
    yeah, kinda sucks as I only want to get VR for this game.

I'm not a graphics whore just as long as I could have a playable immersive experience. Trying to find out just how playable it is, is challenging in itself. Stuff like micro stutters and unreadable distance markers or massive jaggies that detract from the experience are what I'm looking to find out. I only switch to PC mid last year been on console every since. One thing about console gamer's, we play it any way they give it to us...lol.
    Really its not all jaggies or anything bad about the rendered visuals , its just the pixels .
    Some games look really quite good as long as you look past the screen and see what was rendered .

I've just last night had the best racing (any gaming) experience of all my 30 years of gaming using VR . My heart was pumping and it took me about an hour or so to get to sleep after it (i usually just hit the pillow and out) .I just couldn't stop thinking about it and reliving it in my head .

Sadly it wasn't pC2 that did that to me but just saying how VR has changed my Sim racing for ever .

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ph123uk View Post

Sad but accurate.
    I just upgraded to a i7 8700k build and it's a lot better, but there is still room to improve.

Also do not even try to compare vr with 2d game play, it's a completely different beast.
    If you do want to compare. don't think 90fps, that's for one panel it's closer to demand in reality to 180fps since it needs two passes.

And that should be your minimum fps.
    Driving for long stretches with spacewarp on is just no.

Don't accept the stamps of approval oculus and company gives 970's etc, they assume their usual low end content, low graphics rail shooters and gear vr clones.
    And the use of reprojection/spacewarp.

Project cars 1/2 is not low end games by any means. And you need hardware on the recommended or better to sustain a decent experience.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend pcars for vr with less than a 1070, but that would be a minimum.
    Main rig: Asus ROG - strix z370, i7 8700k, MSI 1080ti gaming x, 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
    Logitech g533 headset. 32" ultrawide - Oculus Rift CV1.
    G29 - CH fighterstick - CH pro throttle - CH pro pedals

Second rig: MSI gaming 5 z97 chipset - i7 4790k - 16GB 2400mhz RAM - 980ti.
    The following user likes this Post: BigDad

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg90 View Post
    Hmm. Not sure what you mean by "it's 360 degrees". Surely pixel count is pixel count, whether they are shown on 2 screens in front of your face or 1 monitor on your desk. 2560x1440 seems a strange resolution for VR, are you sure it wasn't 2560x1440 per eye? Although that would be odd too. If not damn I need to go away and research more about how these things work hehe.
    Pimax 4k runs 1280x1440 per eye and the headset upscales it to 3840x2160, 1920x2160 per eye, it's clearer than the rift and vive but it's hard to maintain 60fps even on low settings.
    https://rwb-racing.enjin.com/forum

https://discord.gg/MmtTXPA

Commodore 64, 64K RAM, Tape Drive, Grundig TV.